Notices

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum. Just got my Nokia 770 and I am loving it.^^

I am wondering if anyone has Slingbox at home. It is an excellent idea but unfortunately the software thatt use for streaming is MS Windows base and I don't think they have any plan to support Linux any time soon. It would be great to be able to use my 770 to stream live TV thru boardband eveywhere. I wonder if anyone try to use Windows emulator or maybe develop a Linux base software for it.

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Eric

I did not know that about the Slingbox - it is a great thing Santa didn't bring me one, like I wanted, because I would have returned it, if it only streams WMV's. I have done that sort of work before, streaming video with the Windows Media Encoder, and hey, it is easy to use - gotta give M$ a hand there - but I don't want to be restricted to WMV's. I also wanted to stream the video to my phone, and it would not have worked with WMV's.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
I mentioned the 770 as a perfect machine for a SlingPlayer client to every SlingMedia employee I could find at their booth at CES. I have a Pocket PC also, and the SlingPlayer will be out very soon for that (they were demoing it), but the 770 would be even better.

Like it was mentioned, the core of the SlingPlayer app uses Windows Media, so that may be tough to do on the Nokia. I have my fingers crossed, because my Pocket PC has been collecting dust since I got the 770. No comparison in web browsing between Opera and PocketIE...

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Chicago, IL
They're planning to support OS X so perhaps Linux is being considered too.

Just find this on the web..

http://www.slingmedia.com/jobs/eng-linux.php

Maybe some of you guys here shd apply for the job...