Tom Warren at the Verge today gave voice to what a lot of other technology analysts and today definitively declared that Microsoft's Windows Phone platform is dead. This largely based on the abysmal adoption numbers released in Microsoft's most recent earnings report. Mr. Warren articulates the obvious by stating: "With Lumia sales on the decline and Microsoft's plan to not produce a large amount of handsets, it's clear we're witnessing the end of Windows Phone. Rumors suggest Microsoft is developing a Surface Phone, but it has to make it to the market first. Windows Phone has long been in decline and its app situation is only getting worse. With a lack of hardware, lack of sales, and less than 2 percent market share, it's time to call it: Windows Phone is dead. "

Now this news should not be surprising to anyone who has watched the slow decline of Windows Phone. Last December, in an article on Windows10update.com, Onuora Amobi also wrote off the platform. In this case, his analysis was based on the nonconformity of the Microsoft user interface to Apple and Android's widely adopted aesthetic appeal. He wrote "I believe Windows Phone is dead. Kaput. Finished. Over. Done. ... Windows 10 is successful in part because it's a return to Windows 7 in many ways and that's what made the consumers happy. One of the definitions of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result". This is exactly what Microsoft is doing and it's insane. Over 90% of Microsoft's desired audience like the look and feel of iPhones and Android devices. They do – it's not good or bad – it just is what it is. They spend their money on those two user interfaces."
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/01...atform-is-dead

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Dead with 2% market share? Where does thay put Jolla, then?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Dead with 2% market share? Where does thay put Jolla, then?
Zombie like?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
i like windows phone, cause it is different from others. if i didnt have opportunity to get salfish os i would choose Windows phone, at least for UI and feeling. even if i would be sad since is quite as closed as apple's os. However, i would be sad if it should die, firstly because the more competitors are there, the better for consumers.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
i like windows phone, cause it is different from others. if i didnt have opportunity to get salfish os i would choose Windows phone, at least for UI and feeling.
You want to feel special?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
no, but i dont like buttons and old same stuff. button every where, just dislike it. Wp (i refer to old version) have Pivot menu and not that shitty hamburger menu and also have some swipe features. Live tiles are much more better than icons, and for example dyncal by fravaccaro (wich i really like as concept) isnt so much different than concept of live tile (an icon that update itself). Coverview is instead an evolution of that concept. I don't need to buy product to feel special, i am special on my own

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2016-01-30 at 11:57.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
i like windows phone, cause it is different from others. if i didnt have opportunity to get salfish os i would choose Windows phone, at least for UI and feeling. even if i would be sad since is quite as closed as apple's os. However, i would be sad if it should die, firstly because the more competitors are there, the better for consumers.
hmmmmmmm......... for me, that UI is absolute mess

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Their pureview camera is extremely good. I am ok with the apps I can find in Lumia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Differences between people idea/opinions do make everybody special, don't they?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Their pureview camera is extremely good. I am ok with the apps I can find in Lumia.
My big stop in using Windows Mobile is that is too much closed for my taste

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: