Active Topics

OT?

from Pioneering Ants Challenge Self-Organization Assumptions

Originally Posted by wired science
Some worker ants are more equal than others.

As with other social insects, it was once thought that workers were essentially equivalent in ant colony hierarchies. But it appears that a few well-informed individuals shape group decisions by leading nestmates to new homes.

The findings could add a new dimension to ant-derived models of self-organization.

“Although self-organized systems appear very effective under the assumption that all individuals follow the same simple set of rules, the presence of key, well-informed individuals altering their behavior according to their prior experience might generally enhance performance even further,” wrote biologists from the University of Bristol and the University of Toulouse [...]
i guess the well informed individuals already found a new home...

Here is an another idea concering legacy devices such as N8x0, and possible N900 in future.

Since nokia is promoting QT as a sole platform for development of cross platform applications running on a range of different OS, we may try to follow that, and build and maintain QT framework.

That would allow us to build/package applications developed for newer devices, provided the CPU/Memory resources within N8x0 are sufficient.

The developers may choose to support older devices, but we can probably establish task group which would be responsible for building/packaging/patching of applications.

Presently, diablo extras holds 4.5.x versions of qt.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-29 at 10:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm saying that the N900 will ditch itself by the end of 2012, because most of the devices out there will be dead or malfunctioning.

And Nokia has clearly, loudly stated that they will not make any more MeeGo devices after the N9.

We can baby our Maemo devices, try to keep them running, but handsets aren't like classic cars, not many people can keep them running when parts begin to fail.
Reminds me of that guy who has a Volvo P1800 with 3.1 milion miles on it and still runs like new.
OT: Im threating my N900 as its like new, im not throwing with it as i do with old and broken phones..

The Following User Says Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
I've got a 4 year old Thinkpad that runs better than my brand new desktop. Thats how I view my N900.

I've tried other stuff, it has all the spec to impress, but in use it doesnt suit or impress me.

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thebtman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
For what it is worth ...

I'm an occasional user of my old N810, still running OS2008. I don't upgrade and I don't install many new apps, because I mostly use it for fun. Although I did take it on my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Chile (Isla Juan Fernandez) so that I could make Skype calls and look at Weather Underground. I was able to hop on public wifi-, send emails, and stay in touch.

What a beautiful little device it is! All metal, good battery life, reasonably stable.

The only reason I am on the forums today is I need to re-clone to my external SD (something bad happened to the boot part on it). I see that PenquinBait has jumped ship, sad but understandable.

BTW, I still don't own a "smartphone", although I would gladly buy one if they would grow up and have battery life more than 8 hours or so. I concur with one of the posts in this thread that the people who know enough out to work on a way to run a true Linux OS in some kind of an Android VM - have no idea if that is possible, but for sure it won't work under iOS ... heh.

Qole, I salute you and want you to know that your paitence with Linux noobs over the years is a big part of my embrace of Linux. at work, I am now reasonably proficient with CentOS and support quite a few servers.

Well, I printed out all of PBs threads on cloning and I need to try it ... have not needed to clone for 2 years ... wish me luck!

Steve

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevecrye For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
although I would gladly buy one if they would grow up and have battery life more than 8 hours or so.
N900 got much more battery time, especially with little mod to make it 3000 mAh capable Just sayin'
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
N900 got much more battery time, especially with little mod to make it 3000 mAh capable Just sayin'
Yeah, and it has pretty inconvenient screen size. In my opinion 770/n8x0 screen size is a bare minimum for a device to be useful. Especially for reading text.

Galaxy proves it.

I think it depends on personal preferences - I find N900 screen size quite perfect (probably 4'' won't hurt, but IMO it's not needed. IMO, it's matter of resolution - with res high enough, You can adjust perceived screen size by holding N900 closer or further from eyes - as long as Your eyes can focus without problems

But, we're "off-topic'ing" here, probably.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I think it depends on personal preferences - I find N900 screen size quite perfect (probably 4'' won't hurt, but IMO it's not needed. IMO, it's matter of resolution - with res high enough, You can adjust perceived screen size by holding N900 closer or further from eyes - as long as Your eyes can focus without problems
Ahh, but the years come and go, and soon you'll realize your eyes are not as before...
momcilo is right, a screen as big as possible while it fits in your pocket

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
OT?

from Pioneering Ants Challenge Self-Organization Assumptions

i guess the well informed individuals already found a new home...
Originally Posted by wiredscience
Those ants then quickly returned to the destroyed nest to recruit followers. They repeated the process until enough had gathered at the new nest site to relocate the entire colony.
I'm waiting for a pickup, pls.... anyone?...

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)