Notices

Hello everyone,
The theme of this thread/question resembles that of one here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31331
But, that thread is more about call forwarding, not direct usage of available WifI to receive and place calls with Nokia n900.

Here is what I am looking for:
Is there an application or a setup way to automatically (or manually) switch the phone for a wifi use to receive and place regular cell phone calls?
This is NOT about call forwarding services, this is NOT skype calls or anything in line with that.

We had blackberry using t-mobile in the household in the past, which did just that, per corresponding phone's settings - whenever wifi is available, the phone would switch to use it for regular calls. I therefore assume something like that should be technologically possible, IF n900 has what it takes, hardware wise.

I have read that possibly t-mobile may not allow for this to happen, but once again, I know for a fact that this works WITH t-mobile, but on blackberry device.
I guess it is possible that t-mobile "lets this feature to work" on blackberry phones sold by them only, but then I don't see why can't I just go to my t-mobile account and specify my phone as if it was blackberry. They don't have n900 listed anyway and as of right now I don't have any phone model specified on my t-mobile account...

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance and I do think that the feature like this should be of enormous usability in households with some "blind spots" for their mobile coverage.

Originally Posted by Abukana View Post
Hello everyone,
Any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance and I do think that the feature like this should be of enormous usability in households with some "blind spots" for their mobile coverage.

Wifi calling also works on Android device example G2X from T-mobile. I have both N900 and G2X so if I am overseas I will use G2x for wifi calling. Sometimes Skype on N900. Well depends on whom I would like to call.

On the other hand to answer your question: Unlikely T-mobile wifi calling will works on N900.

Last edited by tirtawn; 2011-10-11 at 03:42.

Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
...Unlikely T-mobile wifi calling will works on N900.
In my opinion, this has got to be possible and it is a matter of proper application/hack setup to "route the n900 device".
If blackberry can do it on t-mobile, n900 should be able to do it too.

Originally Posted by Abukana View Post
In my opinion, this has got to be possible and it is a matter of proper application/hack setup to "route the n900 device".
If blackberry can do it on t-mobile, n900 should be able to do it too.
this has been discussed to death in tmo and meego, correct term is UMA and it requires a hardware to work as it does in blackberry and same working on android is a proprietary application. hence it doesnot work atm, unless someone puts gigantic amount of free time who has a knowledge about the tech in his/her free time.

well, all I'm saying is that it may well be worth the time for developers.
That is what "paid for" applications are for, aren't they?
Could you post links where it was "discussed to death" please?

Let me put it this way:
I'm talking purely from the consumer's point of view, from real life situation, where I (since recently) happen to have dropped calls on my n900 and I am confident that (and you practically confirmed it) there IS a demand for the app like that.

If only someone could take on the task, I personally would be willing to sponsor the effort financially. I will happily host the site to sell such app and I am sure it will sell very well...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you do a Power Search on the words UMA and Blackberry you will find threads in which my superficial glance thought it was being discussed to death.