The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
That's hot. I'm looking forward to this shift from x86. I've been hoping for it for quite some time.

Perhaps a summary to explain why we would want to click these links?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
NVidia did their own CPU+GPU ARM processor, not built on top of another one.

Yes, ARM because Intel won't license x86 to Nvidia.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by m0da View Post
Yes, ARM because Intel won't license x86 to Nvidia.
Call it a blessing in disguise. NVidia is poised to take a serious bite out Intels sales in the server/super-computer market, if they can pull off superior performance thanks to CUDA/openCL, their integrated GPUs, and a relatively low power footprint.

What nvidia seems to be lacking for a complete revolution is desktop support, which is quite married to x86. While Apple OSX and Ubuntu may be able to quickly ditch x86 in lieu of an arm core, the majority of users are running Windows which is x86 only. I also have serious doubts about Win8 success unless it still somehow offers legacy app support on ARM.

Assuming that they'll get the performance piece right (hey, it's nvidia) all of this hinges on backwards x86 compatibility. If nvidia is smart, they'll temporarily include functionality to translate instructions tearing down the last remaining wall for serious market proliferation.

As a linux user, I'm *really* looking forward to this. Something tells me that in the intrim, nvidia will be pushing support for Android and Linux as systems for this new processor -- only speculation, but there you have it.

Nvidia project Denver along with Amd Bulldozer will be the end of the Intel Monopoly a Monopoly that has control over pretty much all high power market Servers, PCs, Supercomputers you name it information on Bulldozer
http://blogs.amd.com/work/2010/08/23...ons-round-one/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIs1CxuUrpc and http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/a...s-detailed-to/ Here is some stuff describing Amd Bulldozer. 8 cores in a consumer grade processor drools! There will even be 12 and 16 core versions!!!

Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Perhaps a summary to explain why we would want to click these links?
God helps those who help themselves....

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
God helps those who help themselves....
.... and smites those who click on random links on the internets

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
Two are Youtube links, and the other two have descriptions in the urls *shrugs*