Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
Because of python and linux. And, most important, because it's no sandbox device.

Because it's the phone with the best mobile internet. I currently have the following browsers installed:

- microb
- firefox
- iceweasel
- opera mobile 10
- chromium
- tear

I would say that is quite unique for a 2009 cell phone.

Also, pidgin instead of some for-mobile IM client.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I bought it for being a linux phone, with no sandbox like android. The main reason was that I had to have a gmail account to activate according to some forums. So I steered clear of the milestone.

But h3llraz0r has just said everything I found. (My sim card only just started the none detection thing, can't even describe how annoying that has become on top of all the other stuff)

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Because I liked the idea of an open source OS and go away from Symbian as it was getting a bit long on the tooth.
There was no worthy successor to my Nokia N95 for my taste and the Nokia N900 sort of had my trust in replacing it.
I noticed more and more reasons why I got the N900 once I actually owned it and started using it.
Never thought I would adjust to a QWERTY keyboard so quickly and never wanting to go back to T9 on a keypad ever again, to name one thing that I saw as an obstacle and challenge at first.
Plus it meets the criteria I had for it: do everything that my Nokia N95 does and preferably even better!
And everything I used on the N95 it indeed does better and some things WAY better.
Glad I went for the Nokia N900 and not missing my N95 at all!

Well, let's get this thread back on it's feet!

I got it because it was open source and I could mod a lot of stuff in it!

I needed pocket sized computer to connect to my university network (with VPNC) I'm accessing servers, mounting shares, remote computers, using internet, listen to music, making aboard skype video calls (now with 1.2 firmware), taking pictures (when not have my SLR with me) and so on.
Thanks to Nokia to create this masterpiece and this community that modifying and creating all usable software. I really enjoying my N900.

I bought it bacause it was advertised as a full flash phone, well nevermind.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Reason You Bought The N900" with twenty-three posts has been merged into this thread.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The thread "Reason You Bought The N900" with twenty-three posts has been merged into this thread.
Damn you!!! I thought this was another pointless off topic thread

Hahahа.....
... and during that merging process, some of the posts suddenly disappeared

Perfect Moderation ....

Tags
none of, your business