Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
We shall see what arrives then

LOL! Hopefully i get a brand new one. The one i sent back had a couple dings so my replacement should be in better shape than my old one.

i sent mine back last thursday just checked my status and it says
"Repair complete
Your product has already been picked up from the repair centre or has been shipped back to you"
hopefully should recieve tomorrow

The Following User Says Thank You to jdave76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by ddwwf1 View Post
how long did it take before u phoned them or visa versa after u sent them ur phone
Grins

I phoned them as soon as the phone was sent to them from the care centre

After about a week I phoned them again. They told me the phone had been fixed and returned to the care centre.

About 2 hours later the care centre phoned me and told me it had not been fixed but returned Beyond economic repair.

I made about 3 calls got cut off twice and promised an email once that never came

One week later I phoned and was a lot less polite. Very determined that they would fix this and that the issue had been identified by Nokia and was covered.

I also made it clear that I was planning to take them to small claims court recounted my list of Nokia phones over the last 6 years 5 N series phones. And made it quite clear that this would be the last time I would buy or recommend a Nokia phone to anyone if this was not sorted at once.

Got a call 2 hours later from a very cute lady named Becky.

Told me that yes this issue should be covered under warranty, They needed to collect the device and would be happy to ship it direct from the care centre for an engineer to look at it.

Phoned again to say they had arranged for it to be collected Monday morning and would get it tuesday and update me (this was Friday pm)

Phoned again on Monday to confirm the device was on its way to Nokia.

Called Tuesday about 3:30 PM to confirm they had the device and would call tomorrow to let me know what had happened.

Called today to tell me the device was covered. They could repair it but that would take a few days. So to save me the inconvenience they would send me a replacement device and Becky wouild inspect it personally to ensure is was in perfect condition and worked as expected. It will be shipped overnight to my office address.

So once you get to the right people and Nokia takes responsibility they do a bang up Job.

I still think I should propose to Becky. But I think that would destroy my in with Nokia. And prolly get me a restraining order.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
In fact refurbished equipment gets more attention than new merchandise. QA personnel don't usually inspect every new manufactured device (they use sampling), but typically every refurbed product is rigorously tested. I buy a LOT of refurb stuff and have no more issues than anyone buying new... maybe fewer.
Yes I have little issue with refurb. As long as it is in perfect condition when I receive it.

I recently ordered a phone for out switchboard system at work. The one that arrived was DOA. The one they sent was less then new condition. It had stains on it etc.

That was unacceptable.

But usually I have much better experiences then that.

Things seem to be turning around now. We might consider collecting stats on who has had their n900 repaired and who has not.

The next nagging question is if the replaced or repaired units will fail just as the original ones did.

Gah, phone simply refuses to charge this morning, no amount of waggling the wire about produces any results.

So whats the deal with getting it fixed then? Ring Nokia, get RMA number, Post?

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I used to buy Millions of $$$ worth of Cisco gear a year and they send out refurb'd gear to replace BRAND new gear that arrives DOA. I'm talking 6 figure costing gear here. So NOKIA is not doing anything unusual. All Cisco's RMA gear is refurb'd as well. I had about 100 Routers that cost around a Mil a piece and that's what they do with their operation. I also never had any issues with their refurb'd gear.
good point. make you think lol

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by neilhwatson View Post
Things seem to be turning around now. We might consider collecting stats on who has had their n900 repaired and who has not.
I think that's what HumanPenguin was trying to do with the thread at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45987

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I think that's what HumanPenguin was trying to do with the thread at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45987
Yes

Also I am planning to keep track of changes within the first post.

IE vote your status. If it changes post that it has done so. I will update teh numbers in the initial post every couple of days. This way we have a poll of Nokias initial response then Updates when they change their mind

The voting system really is not designed to collect this sort of data.

The Following User Says Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty