http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...44&ft=1&f=1001

It's nice to see other people noticing the problems that come built in to Steve Jobs' controlled world.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldpmaguy For This Useful Post:
Absolutely not. Freedom is what the Internet feeds on. No device can stop it now.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
this IPAD thing doesnt even have Web Cam. ~It cant match ma ~N900~

Show me a way to over clock IPAD on demand for some specific graphics intensive websites... or atleast a sign of possibility..., (which our users are trying to build one in near future)... nope...

Its closed.... its a closed world, Cant match the openness of Internet and ma sweet N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to xtreemneo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
It's a marketplace where people vote with their money. It's always been like that and in this digital age, the iPad/AppStore phenomenon makes this even more obvious.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
That entire article is complete FUD which restates a load of nonsense that anyone with a trivial interest in the iPad is already well aware of and leads absolutely nowhere. The end of the internet as we know it? That's a pretty good thing in my professional opinion, anything to stop people using fscking flash just to render text in a particular font... bletch!

If you don't like the iPad, buy something else. The one, over-reaching, undeniable and most awesome feature of the iPad is that it'll get other companies off their fat bandwagon jumping asses and into the tablet market, producing products that those who hate everything Apple can enjoy. I'll probably stick to the iPad (when those of us in the UK can finally actually buy one [goddamn you Apple and your stupid release schedules!]), unless some particularly interesting other products come along, but I remain open minded.

Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post
The end of the internet as we know it? That's a pretty good thing in my professional opinion, anything to stop people using fscking flash just to render text in a particular font... bletch!
It goes beyond merely Flash and has more to do with the fact that, like the iPhone, Apple asserts ownership over your device despite you having paid for it.

That, combined with some people in the media heralding the iPad as "the future of computing" and Apple's wild shift with respect to third party frameworks being used in App Store software, I cannot help but suspect that bad things are in store.

The one, over-reaching, undeniable and most awesome feature of the iPad is that it'll get other companies off their fat bandwagon jumping asses and into the tablet market
Except a huge number have already been in the tablet market for some time. Apple is, again, late to the party.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Tablets are not new by any stretch, Apple just seemed to have given the sheep, sorry I mean users what they want

Or maybe its just the earlier tablets from several years ago were ahead of their time, almost like when I used to work for a large supermarket chain and they introduced home shopping over 15 years ago and it failed miserably, now you cant go anywhere without seeing a Tesco / ASDA etc home delivery van

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Except a huge number have already been in the tablet market for some time. Apple is, again, late to the party.
The form factor, yes.
But functionality\good UX, I think they're the first that got it right.

I've purchased a few Windows Tablet PC in the past and numerous other slate-type devices (including NIT) yet most of them feels like a notebook missing a keyboard with an awkward stylus control.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The form factor, yes.
But functionality\good UX, I think they're the first that got it right.
No argument there. But the comment I was replying to seems to have significant RDF damage, commonly seen when Apple enters an existing market.

Seems like a sensationalist article to attract ad revenue.