Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I had originally posted this as a comment on a posting, but it probably deserves its own posting:

OKok, everyone.. let's sit down and watch the show live on HULU.. yanno, right in front of the computer where we truly BELONG as the new year comes in!

I put up a nice fullscreen Live hulu page on my site--I primarily made it so that I can watch it properly on my portable little Nokia N800's 800x480 screen wirelessly.

ENJOY! Invite others to go and watch!
http://pleco.org/livehulu.htm

Thanks for the link .... but sadly this shows very clearly how the IT is not up to showing hulu videos nicely. There are a lot of frame drops and video is lagging.

I am running the same video on my laptop and on the N810, and the N810 video is slow with frame drops a lot.
But thanks nevertheless.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Thanks for the link .... but sadly this shows very clearly how the IT is not up to showing hulu videos nicely. There are a lot of frame drops and video is lagging.

I am running the same video on my laptop and on the N810, and the N810 video is slow with frame drops a lot.
But thanks nevertheless.
Or... use the tablet to do what it is good at and do your own HTM that shows real time stills by formatting jpg's for the nit's display. (Or, d'load, unzip, and click on the one that I attached if it's easier. )

You can then use the drop down menu to find a real time image from any of the cams NYC transit has installed... I don't know of any other device that does this as well as a tablet (while I'm walking around the dang city using a measly 19,200 kbps cell phone connection).

BTW T'Sq. was empty by 20 minutes to 1:00... It seems like a lot of folks are in the village at 2:00 though
Attached Files
File Type: zip Times Sq.zip (2.8 KB, 72 views)

Yep.. once the countdown finished and the live video stream kicked in, it was barely worth watching. Flash on the tablet just isn't up to it. Would have probably been a WHOLE lot more watchable if I could have had the direct address to the video stream and maybe fed that address to mplayer to watch much more smoothly.

Damn you, Adobe. You tempt me, then you test me so.

By the by, since the live stream is long over with, I've removed the file and so it's no longer working. Thanks for trying, though.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Yep.. once the countdown finished and the live video stream kicked in, it was barely worth watching. Flash on the tablet just isn't up to it. Would have probably been a WHOLE lot more watchable if I could have had the direct address to the video stream and maybe fed that address to mplayer to watch much more smoothly.

Damn you, Adobe. You tempt me, then you test me so.
I'm sure flash is fine... The tablets hardware can't handle it. It never could, and I doubt it ever will.

I don't think it was ever intended to. My thinking is; your only as good as your connection. 3 or 4 years ago, during the tablets inception, 3g or even 2g connections were not common place. The hardware didn't have to handle high speed video other than via wifi.

I mean, if your sitting at home and comparing it to your desktop... use the dang desktop to view what you want. However, if you are out on the street and want to pull up something for a quick reference, compare it to how long it would take, and the PITA it would be, to fire up a laptop.

Not many people can tell you what's happening on the corner of 6th ave @ 42nd St. right now, with out leaving their bar stool on Carmine St...

I can.

BTW, the attached HTM has the direct addy's in it for most public streaming and still cams in NYC. View the source and wander around in it and the directories it hrefs.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Considering mplayer/mytube can easily play most of these similar streaming video files with ease, I'm pretty sure the hardware can handle it--but that the software written for the tablet by Adobe isn't exactly the most efficiently written application for playing these videos. Just my guess, considering they're doing similar work with similar bitrates and codecs.