Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
I enjoyed your podcast. It inspired me to get my bluetooth headset working with my n800 so I could listen to podcasts with it. Convenient!

Thanks. Looking forward to future episodes.
That's great! And thanks very much for the compliment. I will be ranting and raving a little bit about my stereo bluetooth headsets (Nokia BH-501 and a Phillips SHB6100) and using them with my laptop and my N800.

Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
Downloaded Your podcast and listen to it all through.very cool at least i got to learn about the open pandora projetc. Things i feel u should improve on include.
Startup sound - I think you should work on a good startup sound for the program something very cool also a sound to play out when the show ends.Also it would be nice if There is an Agenda for the show.you can divide it into segments .Tablet News,Feedback letter from listeners,Talks,Apps of the week .. get the point. Also a logo and an irc channel for the show would be nice.it would also be nice if u offered ogg download for those of us who prefer it.other than that great show and i would be looking forward to the next episode

cheers
Excellent feedback! I plan to take advantage of the fact that it's on a Saturday to be a little more prepared this time as well. On my other podcast, we normally have an outline for the show and follow it more or less pretty closely and that has worked out very well.

I would like to have an into and outro song (or at least a little jingle) but I've not invested time in either looking for anything podcast friend yet or composing something myself. I lost all my old compositions from back when I used to do MIDI and MOD tracking and stuff.. might need to get back into it for this. I probably would prefer to compose something myself but I won't be able to churn anything out for these first episodes.

I've thrown up a quickie logo for now from an old doodle of my cartoony character (Miles). If I can go back to that drawing and color it up, it might actually make a pretty good logo. Let me know what you think if you get a moment to take a look at it.

As for IRC, there is actually a web-based chat channel that is open DURING calls for anyone who goes to the web site during a live call. From experience as cohost on the Black Rock Lost Podcast, I'm told that I do a pretty good job of following chats while recording.. so hopefully that will continue here as well.

Hopefully, I'll have callers this time around too. If you created a Talkshoe account, you can also 'Follow this' to get invitations in case you want to participate in calls.

Lastly, the OGG format--I really wish TalkShoe would support OGG as well--but it doesn't. I'll have to write them and ask for OGG. I should probably ask everyone to do the same. In the meantime, maybe I can set up a seperate RSS feed at my own web server with OGG converted files (or, for quality's sake, maybe I can just record the show simultaneously on my own end and encode them as OGG to publish on the OGG feed). We'll see and I agree with your sentiment.

Again, I really appreciate the compliments and the suggestions! I can't wait to do the next show and hear what you have to say about it!

Thanks!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Another remind that the show goes on the air the for second episode in less than an hour from now (4pm Eastern time). Hope to see you there at http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/27204.

Ciao!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

And episode two has been published! It went a little long this time, well over the half-hour that I had intended. The first half hour was mainly the program (news, rant/review, app of the week, etc) and at the end I opened up for calls.

Thanks again for listening!

Another heads'-up for everyone! Episode 3 will be on the air tomorrow, October 11 (Saturday), at 4:00pm Eastern time.

Hear you there!

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Just finished listening to the second podcast. really cool and much improved compared to the last one. i hope to part of the 3rd episode.although i wont be able to call cause i don't have a mic on my PC. one thing i would want you to please consider is the Time standard you currently use. EDT ? right well i have no idea how to calculate my time against that the EDT i live in Nigeria and we are GMT +1 IMHO GMT is a more universal standard but that is just my Opinion.

EDT is my local time zone in Massachusetts. I didn't necessarily want to put UTC (aka GMT, Universal Time Coordinate) because EDT also uses Daylight Savings Time (DST) to adjust an hour ahead in spring and an hour back in fall.

Maybe this should be changed to just a stable UTC hour (I'm -400 right now from UTC, in spring/summer.. but in the fall/winter I'll be -500 from UTC). I'll think about that too. Does anyone else have an opinion on that? It's still only three episodes in so I'm more flexible at this point.

BTW: Episode 3 has been completed and is now available for download. Thanks again for your interest, folks.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
EDT is my local time zone in Massachusetts. I didn't necessarily want to put UTC (aka GMT, Universal Time Coordinate) because EDT also uses Daylight Savings Time (DST) to adjust an hour ahead in spring and an hour back in fall.

Maybe this should be changed to just a stable UTC hour (I'm -400 right now from UTC, in spring/summer.. but in the fall/winter I'll be -500 from UTC). I'll think about that too. Does anyone else have an opinion on that? It's still only three episodes in so I'm more flexible at this point.
I'd sooner have it a fixed UTC time. Although I'm in an EDT region, I keep my wristwatch and alarm clock in UTC... which might just disqualify my input as the ravings of a nutcase. But I like the symmetry of only doing one conversion to bring each event into my time, rather than two.

And for all the people in Europe, etc. who use DST, but go on and off different dates than the US, DST would add substantial complexity; everyone knows how to convert between their current local time and UTC.

Oh, and check Milkytracker for OS2008. I've no musical ability, and know better than to try , so I haven't tried it.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I'd sooner have it a fixed UTC time. Although I'm in an EDT region, I keep my wristwatch and alarm clock in UTC... which might just disqualify my input as the ravings of a nutcase. But I like the symmetry of only doing one conversion to bring each event into my time, rather than two.
Done! I've added UTC in my signature (along with EDT for now). I've also got to look into whether Talkshoe with just accept me entering in UTC--to make my life a little easier and so that I don't need to keep calculating UTC time.

And for all the people in Europe, etc. who use DST, but go on and off different dates than the US, DST would add substantial complexity; everyone knows how to convert between their current local time and UTC.
God, I hate daylight savings adjustments. >.<

Oh, and check Milkytracker for OS2008. I've no musical ability, and know better than to try , so I haven't tried it.
Oh... my.. God. It looks JUST LIKE FastTracker.. even the colors. I shall immediately grab it and give it a try!

Benson, you are the MAN!

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
dude there was no show this week . or am i missing something ?

Tags
podcast linux gadgets