Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Has anyone more info about Apples's new BT keyboard: http://www.apple.com/keyboard/ ? HID? Probably a companion for the iPhone, but also for N800/N770... Looks impressive, doesn't it?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
System Requirements

Mac computer with Bluetooth wireless technology
Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
Keyboard software update
Existing keyboard and mouse for initial setup
Three AA batteries (included)

It requires Mac OSX, keyboard software, and you have to have a keyboard and mouse to get it set up in the first place? That pretty much screams "Doesnt use HID" to me. Otherwise it would 'Just Work', and work with any computer with bluetooth as well as innumerable smart phones...

well, the existing Apple BT Keyboard is HID compliant, so I don't see why the new one wouldn't be. I have one on order - I'll let you know in 3-5 weeks time.

Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
System Requirements

Mac computer with Bluetooth wireless technology
Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
Keyboard software update
Existing keyboard and mouse for initial setup
Three AA batteries (included)

It requires Mac OSX, keyboard software, and you have to have a keyboard and mouse to get it set up in the first place? That pretty much screams "Doesnt use HID" to me. Otherwise it would 'Just Work', and work with any computer with bluetooth as well as innumerable smart phones...
A HID BT keyboard is a HID BT keyboard is a HID BT keyboard.
Of course Apple is going to post info like that on their website. Duh.
They want to sell more HARDWARE (read: Apple PCs).
I say it will work well with the N800. Look at the FCC filing they have for this keyboard and then compare it to the FCC filing they had for their previous keyboard.
THe only thing that's changed is the physical look and layout of the keyboard itself. Very little - if anything - has changed in the underlying technology inside the keyboard itself.

Lol, looks like you guys got me on that one. Well. Boo on Apple for making it sound like it isn't HID complaint then. I guess I just assumed that since it looked like it wasn't HID, and it was Apple, that it really wasn't HID. For some reason Apple making a bluetooth keyboard that only works with macs just makes a ton of sense to me, I dunno. Sorry bout the misinformation then guys.

Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
Lol, looks like you guys got me on that one. Well. Boo on Apple for making it sound like it isn't HID complaint then. I guess I just assumed that since it looked like it wasn't HID, and it was Apple, that it really wasn't HID. For some reason Apple making a bluetooth keyboard that only works with macs just makes a ton of sense to me, I dunno. Sorry bout the misinformation then guys.
That sounds like someone who isn't a mac user. They do have a habit of using more advanced standards that aren't particularly popular yet (EFI anyone?) but they are just fine with using the existing standards when they are perfectly fine. Bios and serial ports were flawed, so now we have EFI and USB. Apple just did it early.

It wasnt so much a shot at their standards as much as it was a shot at how apple likes to keep in all in the family so to speak. Keep it nice and simple and closed and clean. It makes sense though, I mean if you can make a more stable or better performing perhipheral by sacrificing compatability, and have the sort of user base where doing a closed move like that would actually matter, why not? Apple does not care about conforming to standards or being compatable, thats what I'm talking about. And no I don't use macs if I can help it, but I'm not really being negetive as much as I'm calling it like it is I think.

So I hope it will be a HID. Looks pretty nice and if the size is what I guess (the three AA batteries seem to fit into the tube at the top, so we have a clue) then I would prefer this one against Stowaway's slim BT KB. Also the price is very good.

Last edited by gammer; 2007-08-14 at 08:38.

The new keyboard from the docs I've read is HID, but some of the add-on controls (itunes control, etc) are non-standard mapping, more or less just like the existing keyboard's eject key

Apple's "needs a mac" arguement is based on the fact that if you want the keyboards to implement all the features listed, you'll need their supplied software installed. This is really no different than "internet keyboards" on the pc side of things.

I currently use the last-gen apple BT with my n800 as well as with my PS2, and XBox360 using BT HID usb dongles.

So there is hope :-) The Apple online shop says "estimated ship: 3-4 weeks". I'll try it (in an local shop) with my n800 and report here.