Poll: Did you notice the Facebook outage today (9/23/2010 ~3:30pm EST)
Poll Options
Did you notice the Facebook outage today (9/23/2010 ~3:30pm EST)

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
There is no next big thing, because it never changes. Each human has a little home place for the stuff he brainfarts, and wants others to see. Be it Geocities, Facebook, MMORPGs, blogging, tweeting, they are all the same. Better browsers allowed for even more interaction and ultimately gaming.

The "next" thing will be a place where one could post gas an inflict it on others. Now with 3D! Live! NextBuzzWord!

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Soooo... 3D web browsing? Wut?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Had that about 5 years ago. nVidia FX5200, 3D shutter glasses and a little desktop trick. My card is long dead (retired), but I imagine that W7 with its 3D UI would be easily 3D-tricked into popping the browser out of the screen (at the expense of clarity).

I'm thinking we like games and interactivity, we have that, so, what's next? Multiplayer interc... er ... eating? Have dinner with your friends online! Multiplayer drinking? Bored on your toilet? Share the fun!

Way things are going there's probably someone doing that already.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
OMG What did we do before facebook??? I've forgotten!1!11!!!!! Dear God, help us all!
Wots facebook? Is that like Usenet?

Twatter was down too a while ago. Chaos!

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Wots facebook? Is that like Usenet?

Twatter was down too a while ago. Chaos!

I laughed. Outloud, even. Literally. Not like most people that type "LOL" on myface or whatever.

PROOF!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
OMG What did we do before facebook???
What do people do with Facebook now?

I have an account, but apart from the handy birthday reminders, I have no idea what benefit Facebook gives me.

I can't believe I have a Twitter account, my teacher posts college material on Twitter, so I decided to sign up because of that. Now I want to delete my account, and I realise I can only deactivate it, not completely delete it.

Is that even legal? keeping people's information in their database, with no easy way of deleting it?

(You can't re-signup with the same info, because that info is in the database, marked as deactivated).

Are you kidding? I LOVE facebook.

I was stunned at the number of people I saw there and what they are posting, saying, liking. Which is to say, one can learn a whole BUNCH of stuff about other people when they think that the life online is separate from real life and they have a kind of privacy.

An eye opener.

The stuff people post considering it "private" (hint: it ain't unless you're a level 57 Paranoid with a primary attribute in RTFM skill). Nobody reads the manual.

Incredible how people think that pushing "delete" on anything actually makes it gone.

Incredible how people don't differentiate things you say from things you write down and publish.

Internet is full of screenshots of FB mishaps.

A while ago I was googling for some older stuff (W95/98) and located some posts of mine from long, long ago (W95 was 15 years ago) and I realized that with today's storage prices nothing actually gets deleted (unless it's important non-recoverable data). I realized that one day my kids could just look me up and find a trail of everything ever posted, commented, sent, from the time I was basically a kid until today and onwards. Complete with spelling errors.

Facebook has become my favorite social experiment. I'm totally sucked in. They got me

Sometimes I watch the screen and think to myself that 20-30 years from now some white bearded man will hold his child or grandchild on his lap and suddenly the old respectable man will have to explain what he meant by "you (asterisk)ing (asterisk), you're an (asterisk), the eart iz indidd flatte liek yar brainz, stoopeed!!!!111".

Ok, that's YouTube, but the way things are bought an assimilated, your multiple "anon" accounts might just be merged based on IP, mail address, Geo-location, etc.

Can't even fathom what will happen when these girls grow up.

- "You're grounded! When I was your age.."
- "...you had suspiciously red eyes at 4 AM on the beach?"
- "Go to your room!"
- "Do you still have that t-shirt that said "Landing Strip"?"

Oh come on! I was just a KID back then! EVERYBODY did it!

Tags
feh-facebook, the-end-is-nigh