Notices

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Let's the benchmark begins!

I tested previously and found that not much difference between eMMC and MicroSD. But that is on my budget office computer. I tested it on my home computer again and brought a new power supply for it (old one is dodgy) and found that the eMMC is much faster in the long run
Attached Images

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-10-15 at 06:23.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Nokia please atleast make some sort of defragmentation tool for the eMMC and Memory card.

Deleting and Moving files caused fragmentation.
I'm defragmenting it now.. So much fragmented files
Probably faster to move all files to your PC, then move all back to N900. Defrag on flash memory can be tricky too if it has wear-leveling.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
Probably faster to move all files to your PC, then move all back to N900. Defrag on flash memory can be tricky too if it has wear-leveling.
Lol problem is I got 20GB + data lol.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-10-15 at 06:13.

You're... you're defragmenting the eMMC?

I'll take this as proof you don't know what you're talking about on these forums. Ever. Defragmenting a Flash drive, whether it's an eMMC or an SSD, is about the worst thing you could do for it.

It won't speed the thing up, and if anything it will probably slow the drive down.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Nokia please atleast make some sort of defragmentation tool for the eMMC and Memory card.

maybe i don't say anyting anymore

Last edited by Makeclick; 2010-10-12 at 04:13. Reason: Too much

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
You're... you're defragmenting the eMMC?

I'll take this as proof you don't know what you're talking about on these forums. Ever. Defragmenting a Flash drive, whether it's an eMMC or an SSD, is about the worst thing you could do for it.

It won't speed the thing up, and if anything it will probably slow the drive down.
For clarifying this....

Flash drives has nothing to do with the way HD drives work. While fragmentation is bad on HD drives because of the way they access the data (if the data is written secuencialy the read of all of it is done without moving the magnetic heads, while if fragmented much time is wasted in repositioning the magnetic heads) on flash drives the data is accesed without any mechanical parts having to move so the access is constant for all the memory cells wherever they are. So defragmenting flash drives isn't so good idea...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ignacius For This Useful Post:

sorry but I have to say LoooooooL

The Following User Says Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
sorry but I have to say LoooooooL

Actually, I didn't finished the eMMC defragmentation, I got up to 76% and gave up on it then I formating the drive instead and it makes the drive accessible much smoother than previously. I got less lag when opening files and folders. It was struggling and laggy to read from the drive.

I think I have wasted around 2000 write operations to the life span of my eMMC. Luckily it didn't finished so that wasn't so bad.

Actually, I didn't finished the eMMC defragmentation, I got up to 76% and gave up on it then I formating the drive instead and it makes the drive accessible much smoother than previously. I got less lag when opening files and folders. It was struggling and laggy to read from the drive.
Formatting the drive with a standard disk format will not fix the issue either. You'd need a special tool to do a secure erase (thus also needing to repartition) and I don't know if one is included on the N900 by default.

Additionally, fragmentation on NAND has zero impact on read speeds. I think you're imagining things, really.

I think I have wasted around 2000 write operations to the life span of my eMMC. Luckily it didn't finished so that wasn't so bad.
Well, more like you smeared writes across much more of the flash. The end result being that future writes will be somewhat slower.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK

Flash memory by its nature fragments BELOW the filesystem layer, its how it makes sure no one part is worn out greater than another. As such any slowdown is unlikely to be caused by fragmentation.

Bottom line, you should NEVER defrag flash memory EVER! You are just randomly moving the data around not actually de-fragmenting, because while the OS will show as less fragmented it has no bearing on physically where in the flash the data really is. The filesystem is just a visual representation of how the OS sees the data layout, not how its REALLY laid out in the flash itself.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-10-12 at 20:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post: