Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Also, I think quite a lot of people massively underestimate the amount of resources needed to run a real desktop/general purpose desktop.
Like, err, 1 GB RAM?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...67#post1446567

I am typing this reply on a phone with the same amount.

EDIT:
I nearly forgot. 300 MB of those 1 GB were used by the anti-virus program. Even so, the machine never used more than 500 MB, no matter how hard I tried stressing it.

Back to the topic. What would be the point? You already have a massive choice of real desktop systems running on the desktop. In fact, I see very little point running any OS designed for the phone use (Android being the most common) even on a tablet, let alone a desktop.

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-12-24 at 21:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The thing is the way you interact with a touchscreen vs. keyboard and mouse is pretty fundamentally different. Some think keyboard and mouse is going to die out - probably one day, but not yet. Others think you can design an interface that suits both modes, but it'll always have compromises.

So if you've got a device that you use in both modes (like a tablet with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, or a convertible laptop), what are your options? Dual-booting isn't ideal. Probably better to have a single OS with two distinct interfaces.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Doesn't have to be different interfaces. Just drop the silly preconception that a mouse and a touch screen are the same thing and treat them as two different input devices that they are.

For example, a single tap on the touch screen = a double click with the mouse. Or a long tap = a right click. Or tap, hold and drag scrolls the screen, but click, hold and drag selects a block of text. As one would expect.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The interfaces don't necessarily have to diverge wildly, but they do optimise differently. Many swipes and gestures can only be used effectively on a touchscreen, complex menus and arrays of small buttons need a mouse.

A good example is window management - how you handle that depends very much on your input devices. You could probably come up with a hybrid that added window decorations if you started moving the mouse around or something, but I guess it's simpler to just have two modes, and it's often possible to change window managers / configurations without even logging out of your session.