Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi. First I would like to compliment the folks that have worked on the jolla phone. They have done a terriffic job.
It is no small undertaking with many challenges and a continual growth process. So, as I've been playing
with the jolla phone for a few weeks now I would like to make a few suggestions that might improve the user
interface (at least for me). Perhaps others could chime in as well in a constructive way.

1)I would replace the swipe gestures (from both sides) that allow you to select ambience with some other functionality.
You could get more out of the phone by instead using such gesture to swipe to a page with integrated contacts, social netork,
media and internet, or some other theme related to office work for example. Perhaps separate buisness from personal or whatever.
Maybe allow the user to design what the page can do.

2)I would combine the screen that you get to when you double tap and the one with the four icons on the bottom. Seems like too much effort to
get to the the same place every time. Btw for both screens the swipes from the edge do the same thing. If you keep both screens you might as well have the same swipe do something different for each screen.

3)It would be nice if you could press the little notification (like the envelope for email) and it would open either that mail or the email app.
Now I have to go thoruogh two screens and then open email and then open that message.

4)When I open an app from the app drawer, there is a transition where you see the grid of running apps and then the app opens. If I open
the app I don't want to see this intermediate stage. I want to go directly to the app I've opened.

Anyways, just a few thoughts for improvements. Again, thanks for everyones efforts and I wish Jolla success.
~
~
~

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. First I would like to compliment the folks that have worked on the jolla phone. They have done a terriffic job.
It is no small undertaking with many challenges and a continual growth process. So, as I've been playing
with the jolla phone for a few weeks now I would like to make a few suggestions that might improve the user
interface (at least for me). Perhaps others could chime in as well in a constructive way.

1)I would replace the swipe gestures (from both sides) that allow you to select ambience with some other functionality.
You could get more out of the phone by instead using such gesture to swipe to a page with integrated contacts, social netork,
media and internet, or some other theme related to office work for example. Perhaps separate buisness from personal or whatever.
Maybe allow the user to design what the page can do.

2)I would combine the screen that you get to when you double tap and the one with the four icons on the bottom. Seems like too much effort to
get to the the same place every time. Btw for both screens the swipes from the edge do the same thing. If you keep both screens you might as well have the same swipe do something different for each screen.

3)It would be nice if you could press the little notification (like the envelope for email) and it would open either that mail or the email app.
Now I have to go thoruogh two screens and then open email and then open that message.

4)When I open an app from the app drawer, there is a transition where you see the grid of running apps and then the app opens. If I open
the app I don't want to see this intermediate stage. I want to go directly to the app I've opened.

Anyways, just a few thoughts for improvements. Again, thanks for everyones efforts and I wish Jolla success.
~
~
~
1) You can already adjust these screens using the Patch Manager.

2) You don't seem to understand the meaning of 'lockscreen' There can't be any icons as you might hit them accidentaly. This behavior is pretty much the same on N900, N9, Jolla, Android... You must first unlock the device by going to the home screen (where are those 4 icons).

3) You are doing it wrong You don't need to go to the mail app etc. When you see an icon on the lock screen, all you need to do is swipe from the bottom of the screen to enter the Events (Notification) view - the you just tap the notification and it takes you straight to your e-mail. Did you go through the tutorial?

4) Jolla has already commented on this issue. First, they want to emphasize that you can control your app from the multitasking view, so it takes you through there (targeted at beginners). Second, not all apps open instantly, so they don't want to show you just a blank screen - therefore you can see the time and other apps in the meantime - that's what the transition is for.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
1) You can already adjust these screens using the Patch Manager.

2) You don't seem to understand the meaning of 'lockscreen' There can't be any icons as you might hit them accidentaly. This behavior is pretty much the same on N900, N9, Jolla, Android... You must first unlock the device by going to the home screen (where are those 4 icons).

3) You are doing it wrong You don't need to go to the mail app etc. When you see an icon on the lock screen, all you need to do is swipe from the bottom of the screen to enter the Events (Notification) view - the you just tap the notification and it takes you straight to your e-mail. Did you go through the tutorial?

4) Jolla has already commented on this issue. First, they want to emphasize that you can control your app from the multitasking view, so it takes you through there (targeted at beginners). Second, not all apps open instantly, so they don't want to show you just a blank screen - therefore you can see the time and other apps in the meantime - that's what the transition is for.
Hi. Thanks for your comments. The intent of my suggestions is only how I would like to see Jolla running out of the box. Not how I would personally modify it with patches and hacking, although doing such is perfectly fine with me and is fun -like modifying keyboard definitions on n900 and so forth.

In regards to specific replys

1) I hadn't tried patch manager yet but I see it has nice features although, as usual, you have to proceed at your own risk . I will try it soon. Thanks for recommending it. Seems that some of the features patch manager enables should be by default on Jolla. Only adds to my list of suggested improvements .

2)I'm not sure what you mean here. On my android phone (I'm using the Tweaked rom for tmobile galaxy note 3), if there is an update notification I can go to play store to update by pressing the notification. Similar with mail. Also, I can directly go to predefined apps from my lockscreen. Of course some of this capability is due to the great developer that has modified the original rom. But it can be done and I have not had problems with accidentally starting an app as once I've gone from the black screen to the "lockscreen" I can control what to do from there.

3)Thanks, I missed this and it cuts out a step to get to mail. Regardless, I would still prefer to directly go to mail from a notification.

4) The response by jolla, if true, troubles me a bit. I would prefer to go to the multitasking view when I so desire. Not because someone thinks I need to be entertained while an app opens. Hard to believe opening some of these apps is that slow.

Regardless, I hope my intent here is correctly understood. Just trying to make helpful suggestions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@mscion well, if you want something running out-of-box just to make you happy you'll need to make your own OS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
2) What do you have to do on the Android lockscreen before you can open a notification? You have to swipe down first (at least on the vanilla Android).
What do you have to do on the SailfishOS lockscreen before you can open a notification? You have to swipe up. Not much difference really.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
@mscion well, if you want something running out-of-box just to make you happy you'll need to make your own OS
So true! If only I had the time although patch manager sounds like a good start! If someone likes a suggestion (not necessarily mine!) and makes it happen it benefits everyone not just me.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
2) What do you have to do on the Android lockscreen before you can open a notification? You have to swipe down first (at least on the vanilla Android).
What do you have to do on the SailfishOS lockscreen before you can open a notification? You have to swipe up. Not much difference really.
I agree, so it is not a big deal to me. However, I think, perhaps this is just with kitkat , that you can set up widgets on lockscreen that, for example, give you mail or messages previews and can also allow you to open the respective app.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
1)
It is amazing how fast we forget these. Weren't we able to swipe on the message from the lock screen on N9 to go directly to the app/message? Wasn't that one of the greatest features of N9?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
It is amazing how fast we forget these. Weren't we able to swipe on the message from the lock screen on N9 to go directly to the app/message? Wasn't that one of the greatest features of N9?
Swipe? Sure. I was responding to the idea of clickable app icons.

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=41

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post: