Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
According to the information so far, we can almost be sure that N9 will use ST-Ericsson U8500 platform.

The video shows that it has a big screen and attactive looking.

The final product should be much thinner than N900.

Very good looking.

This shows the reference UI, the final Nokia UI should be different.
But I think the application is still a very big problem.
Apps & developers for MeeGo is too less comparing to Android/iOS.

The Nokia vice president - Marko said on LeWeb that N9 will have a totally new user experience, no need to pay attention when using, still not sure what it is.

Based on the info now,
For your next mobile phone,
will you choose N9, or switch to an Android phone with Tegra 2 ?
Or switch to other phone, like iPhone 4 ?

I had used N900 for 9 months and now I want to switch to htc desire hd. I want to know your ideas.

Last edited by lanwellon; 2011-01-27 at 14:32.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
I'd never ever use an iPhone, but I ain't planning to get Android either. I am gonna wait for now and see how MeeGo phones fare and perhaps get one later on.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United Arab Emirates
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
According to the information so far, we can almost be sure that N9 will use ST-Ericsson U8500 platform.

Very good looking.

The Nokia vice president - Marko said on LeWeb that N9 will have a totally new user experience, no need to pay attention when using, still not sure what it is.

Based on the info now,

I had used N900 for 9 months and now I want to switch to htc desire hd. I want to know your ideas.
Surely N9 will my second choice after N900

I will stay with Nokia - definitely. But Symbian begins to look really attractive.

Edit: well, I was kinda naive - in this situation I think I will go Android

Last edited by vvaz; 2011-02-14 at 18:17. Reason: elopcalypse

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Depends on lots of things, I'd never give apple any of my money, for ethical reasons, so unless someone else comes out with something as open as the n900, or the n9 isn't the phone we're all waiting for (for me, I want a more powerful and more polished version of the n900) then it looks likely that I'll be wanting one of them..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
The way Nokia are going, I think I'm going to move over to the iPhone (5 by that time).

I've always used nokias except for a brief moto stint back in 2003 when the v600 clam shell came out.

I love the N900 but also hate it at the same time.
So much potential, so much waste.
It can do all things, except answer a call when you really need it.

I can honestly say, I am never buying Nokia again, unless they pull out the morph, n888 or something to wow me.

For so long I have bought nokias for the fm transmitter above many things.
I drive a 1990 Rallye Golf, which I refuse to shoehorn some gay *** bluetooth stereo into, and my sprinted driving style doesn't suit jack to jack leads hanging out of my dash, so the fm transmitter worked really well for me.

I got burned with the the 6500 slide (I went through 7 in 1 year), the n86, it was a piece of crap. And now the N900, what with lousy support, buggy, beta style (at best) OS.

Android, for what it's worth, is nice, I just hate hardware buttons, even if they are capacitive. Also I have not seen 1 android phone I like the build quality of, they feel like flimsy plasticy toys. I want metal.

I will only buy an iPhone if they do away with the home button and replace it with a 3 fingered gesture (as is roumered), oh and on the condition that turtle neck wearing weirdo doesn't return to the helm!

I make iphone apps as part of my job and every day I feel further and further behind the times using this laggy, buggy, resistive clicky squidgey screened brick!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
As much as I somewhat-often (I guess... I don't really count) agree with James Littler on things, I feel that in this case that's a luck-of-what-got-installed-when/where-and-what-your-use-cases are.

I've never had problems answering phone calls on the N900, and I haven't heard anything from anyone suggesting I just missed any. I HAVE had occasional bugs where the phone spontaneously shuts off, doesn't reboot (but still has battery power to do so and run for a while), and when it boots up the next time, the text messaging system is f'ed (new messages out refuse to send, new incoming ones arrive but if you close the convo they vanish). Reboot after that usually fixes it though.

The only time I've ever hung up on a call was when I was about to press an entirely unrelated UI element when a call came in. When I have used the N900 as a phone (mostly after PR1.3, with the exception of one week with, I think, PR1.1.1 or PR1.2), I have not had phone call getting problems. (I realize it was worse before-hand, but that's kinda indicative of the existing support.)

At any rate, I don't know how you feel limited, really. We just got a replacement keyboard that pulls of portrait damn well, we have just about everything a normal phone can do and then some, and if you look over the spectrum of users and use cases, we actually don't have more bugs on this platform than iPhones/Android devices have. I know damn well I've heard complaints from Android phone users about their phones being slow. I have also know there's a good amount of iPhone bugs - it's just that most iPhone users are busy going omg-I-haz-iPhone. If we had the same bugs on Maemo every one here would be flipping a **** calling Nokia horrible at supporting this platform, this OS as beta, etc, etc.

Nay, this OS is damn good. And if it had the same limitations the iStuff had, you'd never run into most of these bugs, because the stock apps barely have any. There would be some - but like the iPhone's alarm-not-going-off-at-the-right-time problem, that's to be expected.

What makes everyone here have a problem with it is that this phone doesn't BS you about what's behind the scenes, and it doesn't give you comfortable padding. If this phone only let you multitask on its terms, you'd run your individual apps one/two at-a-time just fine. If this phone hid every bug within an entire closed-source OS, instead of just within some (admittedly very important) binary blobs, you wouldn't know of half these bugs happened. Things would "just(/not) work", and when they didn't you'd either not know about it, or not know what the hell caused it.

You get the liberty to know a binary blob is buggy and Nokia is anal for not open-sourcing it because you get to see through the open parts of the OS in the first place.

- Edit -

At the rate things are going, unless I absolutely need something like later-than-9.4 flash compatibility with bs'ed version numbers soon (which, honestly, I'd like, but I don't need now), I'm probably keeping my N900 for a few years. (Really, dear god, do people really buy high-end gadgets only to upgrade less than a year after the fact? Is this just because the N900 is the first smart-phone I ever liked enough to go out and pay for myself, and it was an actual investment for me? Do the rest of you really have that many liquid funds?)

Anyway, right now, the only things I personally miss from this phone:

Full portraitization (It's known to be in the works, and MohammadAG fixed the Qt bug in Maemo that caused segfaults when launching in portrait). Honestly, given how MUCH portrait support is now available courtesy portrait keyboard and usable-in-portrait status-menu, I'm happy with what's there. I just like the aesthetic of having fully full portrait support.

The Flash being up-to-date, but like I said, frak it, it's not a problem enough for me.

Print function included in the FreOffice UI. I'm pretty sure host-mode + debian-on-armel-driver-for-printer = printing possible for even USB printers. Combined with the already present Bluetooth printing capability, there's no reason that shouldn't be in there already.

Beyond that? I'm kinda set right now. The rest are trifles, for me. I know I'm lucky and I don't have bugs like some other people do. I can't really help anyone there, though.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-01-27 at 15:34. Reason: Answering original topic.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post

Very good looking.

Based on the info now,

I'm not sure that will fit in a lunchbox, forget about putting it in a pocket. That looks more like a testbed than a prototype. I do not expect to see anything even remotely like this come to market, except marketed to hardware/software developers. Expecting that the screen on a final product will be the same size as that of the testbed - probably unrealistic. Expecting it to have the same resolution is probably a more realistic expectation.

I'm not expecting to switch to an Android phone. I work with a guy who has a Samsung Vibrant. He complains about his phone daily. Until Nokia can nail down the N9, or whatever it is they are going to release, I can not see making any sort of commitment to buy one. I'll consider it. The N900 is the standard against which I'll be judging the tablet aspects and the N8 is the standard against which I'll be assessing the phone features. If there is little or no improvement on either front then I'll just have to hope my USB port remains intact as I "drive it until the wheels fall off".

So much potential, so much waste.
It can do all things, except answer a call when you really need it.
I totally agree with James, N900 is great but simply can't do the role as a main phone, my main phone is still an N95 (the best Nokia so far) N900 is way too heavy, bulky and unstable and lacks a lot of features as a phone, it's like previous versions more of an internet tablet than a phone...

I tested Android and I think it needs to be a little more mature still, and high-end handsets with that OS are too big for me... 4 - 4.3" screens? too much... I will probably replace my beloved N95 with the N8, I like Symbian and Symbian^3 will probably improve a lot in 2011

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
I'm not sure about N9 but my next mobile will have at least a dualcore processor or may be a quad core .I don't like iPhone,I may switch to Android if I don't find MeeGo that good.

Web Advices
Tablet Phone X
Blogging Tips
Know IP Address

The Following User Says Thank You to plaban For This Useful Post:

Tags
die android die, nokia blows