Yup, I've seen

So does this mean a fully backward compatible meego that can be installed on other devices as well?

Of course I don't dare dream at telephony and other closed packages that nokia keep to themselves...

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
My goal is to create a MeeGo image with Fremantle UI, that is installable on non-nokia devices.
Getting telephony running is on the wishlist.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
This sounds fantastic!
But won't there be unwanted UI element interaction? I mean fremantle looks a bit bulky, if some elements in the meego ui will be smoother, they may not fit in, or will they? Or can meego apps display the default UI?

How about backward compatibility? is this UI only or will maemo apps be compatible?

I don't know about nokia telephony but I've just read samsung might have opened up such packages. THe news is here in the competitors thread.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
I do not want to use MeeGo UI. Only MeeGo core.

As for backward compatibility - one would need to repackage apps to rpm. But most of the Maemo system is already available on Gitorious, so there should be no issues.

I would like to know if it would be possible to modify/create a maemo image for tablets. For example let say I wanted to modify the image to run on an Archos gen x tablet 70 or 101, I believe they are ARM based. Would that be possible?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Better to port MeeGo really, existing work is already going on ..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The following threads have been merged into this thread:
  • "Porting maemo to other devices?" (4 posts)
  • "Maemo for Tablets" (2 posts)

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-10-20 at 13:28.

I had to register here just to make this posting.

Although I am most sure that there must be some sort of agreement that prevents this from happening but I must ask that why I have not found any word about porting Maemo Fremantle to new hardware?

I mean look at Maemo, it is ready and mature as hell! It has applications, best multitasking in the business, very nice interface but aging hardware.

All I ever wanted was a hardware upgrade to my aging N900! It would be THE perfect phone with modern hardware. Why nobody talks of this? Everyone is just sitting in sinking ship waiting for water to flood in?

I get it if Maemo ties with Nokia prevent this but if there are no such ties then c'mon guys! I would get on with it if I had the skills.

That felt good. Thank you for your time.

Pexi

As there is no thanks button. Thanks this way. Politics!

This has been discussed already but it all boils down to the fact that there are still far too many drivers and "blobs" in the coding that are closed source.

However if you want the maemo experience on other platforms(as many do), there is a very active project aimed at bringing the Hildon desktop (maemo UI) to meego that is already making great strides with other hardware. And the Apps are making their way to meego too.

Click on the cordia banner at the top of the page to see more.

Edit: Also...Welcome to the forums

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2011-07-12 at 12:17.

Tags
fremantle, harmattan, install, iphone, maemo, maemo 4, maemo 5, maemo 6, mer, non-nokia, operating system, palm pre