Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Haha, xxxxts. You are on fire.

This thread is a great Thanks magnet.

iPhone vs jPhone vs n900...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Thus I would make the argument that even though the iPhone does not have an FM transmitter it is just as good, if not better than a device with an FM transmitter with the majority of cars built after 2010.
The majority of cars in the world is built pre-2010.

Collecting friends in a capital airport in a 3rd world country by late 90's Toyota Camry while streaming their homeland radio over 3G and broadcasting it on the low profile car radio.
Then enjoy hearing them figuring out how it is possible the car radio plays their local usual FM broadcast.

Priceless, thanks N900

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I think there are things that everyone can fundamentally agree are important, such as SSHd and being able to mirror your devices on a separate display, VNC, a proper filing system and even compression tools. The disagreement I have with I perceive to be the disagreement is things that not all people find to be important or even relevant such as an FM transmitter or IR transmitter.
In a subtle way, this statement right here is the issue at hand: "I think that everyone can fundamentally agree that X is important. However, I think that most people will agree that Y is not important."

When this is just an individual statement of opinion, it's fine. However, modern cellphones are not general-purpose computing devices; they are specifically designed to do some tasks and to not do other tasks. Some indivudal or group at Apple or Google or Microsoft has already made the decision that X is important and Y is not important, and everyone who uses their devices is stuck with that opinion. You have no vote.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
For those of you who have moved on from the N900 what devices have you moved on to? How do you look back on the N900?
After all the replies here, I got lost on what this thread was about so I went back to the first post.
There are lots of feedback here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90217. You may want to check that.
I now use a Galaxy Note 2 as my primary device and my N900 as a secondary phone. There are still things that the N900 does better.

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
After all the replies here, I got lost on what this thread was about so I went back to the first post.
There are lots of feedback here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90217. You may want to check that.
I now use a Galaxy Note 2 as my primary device and my N900 as a secondary phone. There are still things that the N900 does better.
Are you running Android on your Note 2? As I believe you can run a few other OSes on there. Is it rooted? How do you find it in comparison with the openness of the N900?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
In a subtle way, this statement right here is the issue at hand: "I think that everyone can fundamentally agree that X is important. However, I think that most people will agree that Y is not important."

When this is just an individual statement of opinion, it's fine. However, modern cellphones are not general-purpose computing devices; they are specifically designed to do some tasks and to not do other tasks. Some indivudal or group at Apple or Google or Microsoft has already made the decision that X is important and Y is not important, and everyone who uses their devices is stuck with that opinion. You have no vote.
I agree to an extent but you seem to overlook a few points:

1) Nokia was #1 followed by RIM, not anymore, there are reasons for the weather you want to admit them or not. The vast majority of people did not view these things as important.

2) Google makes Android, there's plethora of manufactures that make the actual devices. They decide what technology such as NFC, FM Transmitters, IR communications, etc. goes into that device. Same goes for Windows Mobile. I am assuming these companies aren't just guessing - I am assuming they are doing research groups and looking at trends.

3) When it comes to iOS they have SO MANY accessories for your iPhone it is not even fathomable. If you want your iPhone to have an FM transmitter that can be done without jailbreaking, so can IR, etc. These things aren't expensive and they actually work.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
1) Nokia was #1 followed by RIM, not anymore, there are reasons for the weather you want to admit them or not. The vast majority of people did not view these things as important.
What do you mean here? To my mind, there's not much difference between the top cellphone companies. (And this includes Nokia.) The only significant achievement in the last decade or so was made by Apple, and that's because they had Steve Jobs -- instead of just slapping together as many different parts as possible into as tiny a box as possible and shipping it out as fast as possible, Jobs demanded that there be a reason behind the design of their small box. As with most Apple products (until recent years), the original iPhone actually had sub-par hardware compared to contemporary cell phones, but what it did have was perfectly integrated and logically designed. It was the perfect product for consuming media, and as such, outshone all the others, even at its outrageous price.

The reason I jumped ship from the iPhone to the N900 was that, unlike every other smartphone in existence, Nokia did not try to turn the N900 into a handheld TV set. Instead, they used their "internet tablet" OS for it, which is in essence a miniaturized desktop operating system. I don't count this as a "significant achievement", because really, this seems like the obvious move to me -- simply take what works on the desktop, and squeeze it until it fits into your pocket.

This is not to say that the N900 is a better handheld media player than the iPhone; it most certainly is not. However, if you want a handheld desktop computer, it is pretty much the only option available. (Nokia did try to turn the N9 into a handheld TV set, unfortunately...)

Many manufacturers today make cell phones and tablets. However, I would submit that these are all media consumption devices. They do not run the same OS as desktop or laptop machines, they have extremely limited input abilities, extremely limited expansion abilities, and you literally have to hack into the operating system (and, therefore, invalidate your warrantee, as well as sacrifice any updates from the manufacturer) to run any useful apps that the manufacturer has deemed unnecessary for you to use.

They are, however, extremely beautiful and capable media consumption devices.

In the end, yes, manufacturers are making these devices because they can make oodles of money selling them. Steve Jobs' concept of a portable media player has proven to be highly successful. It'd be interesting to see what other devices could be made, if we ever get another manufacturer led by someone who actually has an interest in how these devices are designed.

And yes, there are innumerable cute little apps available for the iPhone / Android / Windows phone. And there are innumerable little dongles you can get to add a little piece of hardware; I had a perfectly functional FM transmitter for my iPhone (and it actually worked better than the one in my N900). I'm not a hardware person, and really don't give a fig about the electronics in a given device. My complaint is that, while I can do a multitude of tasks on a modern smartphone, what I cannot do is use it in the same manner as my desktop machine. That's what I'd like to do, and that's what the manufacturers explicitly forbid me from doing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
3) When it comes to iOS they have SO MANY accessories for your iPhone it is not even fathomable. If you want your iPhone to have an FM transmitter that can be done without jailbreaking, so can IR, etc. These things aren't expensive and they actually work.
You forget the fact most of them are actually incompatible with each other. Slideout bluetooth keyboards, additional batteries, dual-sim adapters, and God knows what for iPhones mostly use spacer frames - why do we have to choose, when those could easily be combined as one ultimate accessory? But there are none such for iPhones. And not every buyer is a brainless consumer aka innocent sheep awaiting to get drilled by sick-minded pervert shepherd, pardon my metaphor.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-06-02 at 04:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
[handheld devices] do not run the same OS as desktop or laptop machines
Well, Mixcrosoft has tried. Only they approached it from the opposite side. Instead of making their mobiles looks like desktop, they made the destop look like a mobile. With catastrophic consequences for both.

Regarding xxxxt's post #61, I find it rather baffling that someone might even claim that "SSHd, being able to mirror your devices on a separate display, VNC, a proper filing system and even compression tools" are "things everyone can fundamentally agree are important". I am happy to wager that most iPhone users have never heard of SSH or VNC, have no idea what a filing system is and have never used compression tools. In fact, what most iPhone users do with their phones can be done with any 5 years old phone and the only reason they buy an iPhone is because it is shiny.

As for mirroring your screen, it requires updating your tech every time a new version comes out which is something not everyone cares to do, even if they could afford it. I bought my new car in 2009 and I still refer to it as "my new car". Unfortunately it did not come with an AUX input. Instead it came with an iPhone slot - apparently the manufacturers considered it relevant at that time. What a waste of space. I tried it with a friend's iPhone and was rather disappointed at what functionality it provided. It made me actually glad that I do not have an iPhone. N900 + Symphonie + FM are much more flexible.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I was mistaken about the cable, I don't recall what came in the box in November 2008. I don't see how it has this huge relevance.

Yes, that is a good idea and a not so good idea. I think there are things that everyone can fundamentally agree are important, such as SSHd and being able to mirror your devices on a separate display, VNC, a proper filing system and even compression tools. The disagreement I have with I perceive to be the disagreement is things that not all people find to be important or even relevant such as an FM transmitter or IR transmitter. For example the vast majority of cars built after 2010 not only have an AUX input but they have a little docking stand for your device that charges it and controls the device with the in car display. Thus I would make the argument that even though the iPhone does not have an FM transmitter it is just as good, if not better than a device with an FM transmitter with the majority of cars built after 2010. I don't think running emacs on your phone is important, I don't think having an IR transmitter on your phone is relevant anymore (especially when so many TVs are switching over to Bluetooth)
I don't think the issue should be which phone or OS is better because that depends on the individuals needs. You may not want an IR transmitter but someone else may need it. You don't need an FM transmitter but clearly someone else does. Same for emacs, size of screen, integration of social media, eye candy, swipe ui, hwkb, processor, hackablity, types and number of apps and so forth. In general, phones or OS do not have everything you would like so you pick one based on what meets your needs. I like android, jolla, n900, n9, and even apple. There are also things I don't like about them. There is no best phone. There are always compromises. My point was to provide folks with the data to assess current capabilities and then they can decide for themselves what best suits their needs

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: