Active Topics

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I didn't see anyone mentioning it earlier, so I'll do it:

Jolla has introduced two pages with the status of SailfishOS development:

Sailfish OS Roadmap

General information about upcoming features and products.

Development Roadmap

Detailed plans on Sailfish OS development, by category, month by month. It includes information about the status of each feature (not implemented/implemented/released).

Here is the page saved into the Archive.org Wayback machine. If you notice any changes, please save it again, so we can follow the progress.

There are some very interesting plans ahead. Some examples that were the most interesting to me:

• Intel support for Android runtime along with upgrade to version 4.4.4 (February)
  • Flattr support in Jolla Harbour (February) (*)
  • User settings to control Android runtime environment (March)
  • Split screen views within an app (Q3), (**)
  • Album support in Gallery app (Q3)
  • Investigate WiDi/Miracast on the Tablet (Q3)
  • Allow retaining user data when the user resets the device to factory defaults (Q3)
  • UPNP/DLNA integration (Q3)

There are some very exciting plans, but I am a bit sceptical about these two:
(*) - I don't think it's wise to go the Flattr way, as it will probably mean no cut for Jolla from running the store.
(**) - I hoped split screen view within an app would be ready for the tablet launch, as it is the only imaginable way how to seamlessly adapt phone apps to the tablet form (attached page on phone, visible on tablet).

Enjoy the reading

PS: I hate making new threads, but I couldn't find any appropriate thread for such an long-time info (no "update 11/12/13..." thread would do).

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-05-11 at 16:59. Reason: As skanky pointed out, the time seems to be the start of the work, instead of the end. Therefore the complain about delays removed.

The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Just hope they have some room for bug fixing !

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
(*) - I don't think it's wise to go the Flattr way, as it will probably mean no cut for Jolla from running the store.
do).
I think they evaluated it to be their best option.

Everybody is clamoring for paid app support, but I think there is very little money to be made over it, at least in the short term.

I did not know about flattr, but it could work for current developers, and I suppose it is cheap to implement a flattr micropayment in the store.

I hope Jolla will not want a split of the donations, though, that would not be very "unlike".

The Following User Says Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
this is a great addition from jolla to increase the transparency and show the community what their plants and what they are working on

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
  • Flattr support in Jolla Harbour (February) (*)
wow, what a surprise. as the author of this post (2010!) it sure is nice to hear about those plans! if it's implemented, i'll definitely continue with flattr - which at the same time is to say, unfortunately i haven't been using it for some time.

It's possible they have done a deal with Flattr to get a cut of the donations made through Harbour. However it is also in their best interest to build their developer base, and this helps do that even without them leeching on the transactions.

I'm sure all will be revealed once it goes live, as the terms for developers will need to be clearly stated.

While it seems they are quite behind their schedule,
Worth pointing out that, via the development email list, the items are listed by expected start time, rather than expected completion. Then they list completed items and released items.

It wasn't said, but I would expect completed to mean passed testing and signed off.

Anyway, the roadmap has been updated from "last Tuesday's" update meeting, so worth revisiting.

Also, in the same email, the expected functionality for the next release has been listed...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
Worth pointing out that, via the development email list, the items are listed by expected start time, rather than expected completion. Then they list completed items and released items.

It wasn't said, but I would expect completed to mean passed testing and signed off.

Anyway, the roadmap has been updated from "last Tuesday's" update meeting, so worth revisiting.

Also, in the same email, the expected functionality for the next release has been listed...
Thank you, it's worth pointing out, so I removed the 'delays' complain.

I also added the page to the Archive.org wayback machine, so we can follow the progress and easily see what has changed from the last time (the next time it changes anyway).

EDIT: Edited the first post accordingly.
Shout-out to everyone: Please save the page on the Wayback machine again once you notice any changes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
I hope Jolla will not want a split of the donations, though, that would not be very "unlike".
1) Can we please stop using this hashtag. It's embarassing.

2) How can it possibly ever hope to be a sustainable model if Jolla don't take a cut? I'd be very worried if they didn't take a cut. It'd pretty much be signalling that they don't expect active Sailfish users or app development to grow at any time in the forseeable future, and therefore any revenue from it would be useless; a tacit admission of defeat. Most developers who might be willing to test the waters would see it as a very bad sign. Besides, what reason would Jolla ever have to help, facilitate or support Sailfish ports to Android phones if they're never going to make a cent from it?

3) Implementing Flattr support (or similar systems) is insanely easy. Like some of the other features on the roadmap, how did this not happen sooner?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
  • UPNP/DLNA integration (Q3)
That would be cool. I have a Rocki UPNP renderer, it would be nice to be able to play music from the phone on the Rocki.

I've managed this on Ubuntu using pulseaudio-dlna and it works really well. Even more useful on a handheld device though. I'm sure it's already possible, but having it integrated nicely into the system would be ideal.