Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Apparently so...

Want to try that sweet-sounding Sailfish OS, but don’t want to fork out the €399 for the first Jolla handset? Fret not as the company will allow you to sideload its OS to any Android device that you might already have.
Emphasis mine... read more here...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I wonder whether you will get that Android compatibility layer or not. Most probably not, my guess.

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I hope it's not going to be an exact port for everybody/every android phone, because I could have gotten with a Nexus 4 for 250€ instead of 414 for Jolla(even though I really support them but given my earnings(2€/h) 164 actually makes a huge difference for me for a weaker device)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
I wonder whether you will get that Android compatibility layer or not. Most probably not, my guess.
Why not? Android would already be there.

Originally Posted by szymeczek34
I hope it's not going to be an exact port for everybody/every android phone, because I could have gotten with a Nexus 4 for 250€ instead of 414 for Jolla(even though I really support them but given my earnings(2€/h) 164 actually makes a huge difference for me for a weaker device)
This happens though, automatically solves my issue for not having access to the Jolla device in the US. And if it means I could put it on a HTC One (same chipset as the Jolla phone) then I'll have comparable performance. Nexus 5 might be even greater performance (better resolution in the least).

I don't see how this is immediately a bad thing, I see them testing out a possible delivery. But it'll invariably be limited to just UI and not include phone calls/phone stack I'd bet.

Either way, if this becomes a full-blown way to get the Jolla OS on my phone, I'm 100% there. I just don't see how this will get them money. Just numbers...

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
The only advantage I can now see to get a Jolla phone instead of this option, is the potential of a HW kb for the other half. Good luck finding an android phone, with reasonable specs, that has a HW kb that doesn't piggy back over BT....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Storm_11 For This Useful Post:
I would have thought that Sailfish's Android Compatibility technology comes from ACL and ACL would be proprietary and needs to be licensed separately, regardless one already has Android running on his device or not.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
Make that:

250€ for the Nexus 4
50 - 100 € for the Sailfish driver licenses + core applications pack that are full integrated in the Sailfish interface.

I expect Jolla may need to offer premium core applications and earn money via a Jolla store or something

I assumed we were here for the software.

Why freedom to install your non-spyware OS on any HW of choice needs to be free per se?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
That would be a truly amazing by jolla if I could install it on a note. My jPhone would instantly collecting dust

Infant I should cancel my preorder and wait until Jolla delivers Android support and then buy a jolla as phone as thank you.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-12-02 at 06:07.

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
If Jolla makes Sailfish run on Android device they should drop Android applications or limit them. It would boost native applications develoment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Installable? More like pre-loaded..