Active Topics

So, Elop's mission for Microsoft is accomplished.

Nokia is dead and the re-possessed corpse (IP, patents) can be a very useful tool for bullying the remaining mobile industry.

Partnering with MS instead of pursuing the Maemo-derivative path and remaining a proud and sought-after European brand "not approved by the NSA" has paid off handsomely.

Apart from the intellectual property value and what little remains of the Nokia brand "goodwill", by buying off the remains MS is able to cover up much of the financial disaster that is windowsphone.

Heartfelt thanks to all Nokia managers and directors, past and present, who made this "dream" come true.

What comes to a funeral ditty, there's nothing like celebrating the present and the future with a fine song from the past.

Oh Finland...

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/monty-python/finland.html

Originally Posted by number41 View Post
So, Gates finally decided to buy finland and get nokia as an extra, heh.
Gates does not work for MS anymore.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Now that MS bought Nokia, the only thing they need is a decent OS.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So.... How long will the lights stay on?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
This could mark the beginning of the end of WP.
Probably all the other manufacturers building Windows phones will stop doing so, because it's not profitable anymore since Microsoft sells their own Windows phones now.
This would make Microsoft the only WP vendor left and they never had success with hardware.

R.I.P. WP

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Quoting Koushik Dutta on Google+:
Step 1) Send Microsoft sleeper agent, Stephen Elop, into Nokia
Step 2) Drive Nokia into the ground by going all in on Windows Phone
Step 3) Buy Nokia at discount

I think a LOT of people saw this coming the moment Nokia hired on a Microsoft moleman.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
The writing was on the wall for some time:

In fact, it seems as if Nokia started collapsing the very same day Elop was appointed - which I'm sure is no coincidence. I keep hoping that Microsoft's hamfisted approach to consumer electronics will eventually put them out of business for good, but their unfair business practices in the OS market appears to provide a healthy enough supply of money to keep the f***-ups coming. That said, paying just $7bn for a company that only a couple of years ago had a market capitalisation of some $250bn is a stupendous bargain.

The bull has entered the china shop.

Last edited by Lomax; 2013-09-03 at 07:41. Reason: Currencies matter!

The Ship finally sinks and Nokia is dead. Nokia had some great devices before they started sucking.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
So, Gates finally decided to buy finland and get nokia as an extra, heh.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Gates does not work for MS anymore.
Of course not. He owns it.
So what was your point?

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Now I am curious about the Nokia name though. Will the current networks business be able to continue as Nokia Solutions and Networks or does this somehow affect it too?
Microsoft just bought the handset business unit. NSN and Nokia's patents will remain with Nokia - as far as I understand.