Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Can it be confirmed that changing this 173.194.198.192 supl.google.com to /etc/hosts and chantging to supl.google.com is a right solution for this problem? At least I got location with cellnet apps.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Yeah, just pick any of those IP's here https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/supl.google.com
Preferably nearest one I guess, but it won't matter too much..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
This de-googling guide gives five SUPL servers right now https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/com...ageos_in_2019/

Code:
Servers found:

supl.sonyericsson.com - Working (port 7275 is open), located in Ireland, hosted with Amazon.

supl.vodafone.com - Working (port 7275 is open), located in Germany, self-hosted.

agpss.orange.fr - live, but port is filtered, located in France, self-hosted.

agps.supl.telstra.com - live, but port is filtered, located in Australia, self-hosted.

221.176.0.55 - default Xiaomi SUPL server IP, belonging to state-owned China Mobile and hosted in Beijing. Please share if you voluntarily choose this over Google.
Also some good ideas for those of us floating out at sea with what amounts to hacked firmware devices still waiting for our next unicorn gnu Linux(w/FOSS drivers) device pref with hw kb removable battery 3.5mm analog audio, & fm tx along with the good current flagship trends. As I usually do I plug LineageOS with Microg as a spare tire stopgap in a world where we are stuck with android kernel bin-blob drivers only and cant boot a normal kernel with x11 until we get another N900 level device(has bin blob issue too)). https://lineage.microg.org/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Great!

However most of these servers seems to work, it is very difficult to test as the device seem to remember where was the last location.
So, inside a house, far from the window with agps deactivated, the n900 is able to give the position.

I have found out the last known position is stored in

/etc/osso-af-init/gconf-dir/system/nokia/location/lastknown/%gconf.xml

And can be displayed reading into the file or with
Code:
gconftool-2 -R /system/nokia/location/lastknown
A bit rough but I tried to delete both file and gconftool-2 entry with
Code:
rm -f /etc/osso-af-init/gconf-dir/system/nokia/location/lastknown/%gconf.xml
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/nokia/location/lastknown
Then, I verified, file and entry were inexistant.

But still, when I start modrana, it finds the position in about 30 seconds. (only GPS before supl fix was dozens of minutes and outdoor.)

So, where is that data (last location) stored? GPS chip?
And how can we test these servers in a neutral way, without the help from the memory of the last one tested?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
But still, when I start modrana, it finds the position in about 30 seconds. (only GPS before supl fix was dozens of minutes and outdoor.)

So, where is that data (last location) stored? GPS chip?
And how can we test these servers in a neutral way, without the help from the memory of the last one tested?
There's a little tool in the following URL that might help you. YMMV.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026#c35

Last edited by sicelo; 2019-11-26 at 22:02.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Thanks sicelo, cool little app.
But yes, YMMV a lot!

Results are very inconsistent, I mean non linear, changing.
I tried to test these supl servers for hours but I'm not f*ç%&%& able to get an objective result. I still cannot know which is the most efficient and reliable. Once I get a lock fast with google, sometimes it takes like 10 minutes, sometimes forever... Some other servers work, then no more... (I allways test from the same place)

Tried to put all servers ans IPs into /etc/hosts, than tried just with one by one (allways keeping localhost, of corse)...

After all, i'd say google gives the "less whorse" results though, but it's just an impression.

I have also tried the supl package but I think I haven't ben able to set it up correctly however I followed the wiki page strictly.
I didn't understand really how to deal with the domain that
"does not necessarily need to exist however, but it is a good idea to use a domain that you have control of" hmm...

Another impression: lock is coming faster on the stock n900 than on the CSSU-t one. Sometimes lock is ok in seconds with stock one.

Can it be that the supl package had leaved some perturbing traces on the system after removing it?

Did someone get more serious results?
With proxy or without?

I know it'd be easier with a brand new temptating Pro1 but no no no, I'll not be weak, I I keep using on my n900 every day! (until tomorrow at least).

edit: I ended up by rebooting between every test.
My pesudo should have been editman...

Last edited by ric9K; 2019-11-29 at 22:29.

Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
I have also tried the supl package but I think I haven't ben able to set it up correctly however I followed the wiki page strictly.
I didn't understand really how to deal with the domain that
"does not necessarily need to exist however, but it is a good idea to use a domain that you have control of" hmm...
I wrote that wiki page, and sorry if it is confusing.

Otherwise, the section in question means - create a certificate by using a valid-looking domain name. For, example, preferably not supl.a, since that doesn't look valid at all. You can use a real, existing domain name, but since the proxy does not even check, it can just be an imaginary domain too. The part about "control" is just saying preferably don't create a certificate for talk.maemo.org, for example, which is not a domain you own (or are likely to own).

Please edit the wiki to make it less confusing

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
I wrote that wiki page, and sorry if it is confusing.
own).
I didn't mean it was not clear...just my skills which might no be at the right level. Hope I didn't hurt anyway.

Please edit the wiki to make it less confusing
With pleasure. But first, I'd be better to be able to make it work on my side to know what I did wrong and what I could improve in explanation.

At the moment, I get an error of certificate... I like so much more photograpy, coffee, hacking, cinema, dish washing than certificates but let me search what happens, I'll be back.

At the moment, I get an error of certificate...
Interesting. I would like to see the error, if you don't mind. Perhaps please send us a log, or attach a screenshot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Yes, sorry, I was reading the supl proxy creator's page.
What I thought being an error seems not to be an error (Client does not have certificate).

Here is my command and output. I launch modrana right after having entered the command.

Code:
~/supl$ supl-proxy supl.google.com

Connection from 127.0.0.1:64149
SSL connection using AES256-SHA
Client does not have certificate.
zsh: exit 214   supl-proxy supl.google.com
More details:
Connection: wifi
Sim card (working) from another country
Installed from devel (is there something related?):
libssl1.1
openssl
libqt4-core

/etc/hosts:
Code:
127.0.0.1 Nokia-N900 localhost
127.0.0.1 supl.thisdomainnameisnotinuse.com
#74.125.140.192 supl.google.com
#52.208.237.98 supl.sonyericsson.com
#46.190.239.145 supl.vodafone.com
#94.124.135.87 agpss.orange.fr
And setting in settings -> positionning -> agps is supl.thisdomainnameisnotinuse.com

Btw, fremantle.com does exist and is absolutely in my taste

edit: added some clarity

Last edited by ric9K; 2019-11-30 at 21:54.

Tags
a-gps, nokia n900