Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I seriously would like to see a thread, in Off Topic that addresses these things. But not in an official community thread that doesn't directly name or talk about any of the aforementioned.

In fact, want me to start that thread? I do not mind airing out my grievances. And in Off Topic, it might not get closed as quickly as this might if we continue here.

EDIT: This thread is the spill over from this thread to air out grievances, ask questions and resolve the outstanding accusations in a very adult, responsible and hopefully respectful manner.

Last edited by gerbick; 2012-06-26 at 10:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
My bad... The minutes were supposed to read:[*] A few people on TMO are going crazy...

And frankly, I think going crazy is fitting for the fire-storm that was the thread in question, and not offensive. (I say that being one of the people that took part in the thread...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Can we change the name of council to board of directors?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
What's crazy is that no resolution came about from any of those discussions. What's crazy is that despite others saying there was some merit to some of the accusations, they were not addressed.

Community Council needs to think about addressing those or understand that we, the community, will question them every step of the way from hereon.

Last edited by gerbick; 2012-06-25 at 20:37.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Gerbick, people will speculate and question Council no matter what happens.

AFAIC: Quim wrapped this up nicely in his post.

The horse left the barn on Tuesday. Complaining that the barn door was open for the last 2 months on Wednesday isn't going to magically bring the horse back. Blaming the stable hands that you hired last month, who were told policy is to always leave the barn door open, even after questioning that at least twice, also not useful. Burning down the barn won't help either... but apparently that's what everyone has decided is the fitting response.

As for what Council will do about it? Please tell me, what can I (or any Council member) do about it? The winner list was sent to Quim before I, or any other Council member, even saw the TMO thread. It was already out of our hands before anyone had a complaint posted. He no doubt hit the "send" button not long after that. I doubt there's much that could be done to change anything, even if everyone involved deeply desired to do so.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Gerbick, people will speculate and question Council no matter what happens.

AFAIC: Quim wrapped this up nicely in his post.

As for what Council will do about it? Please tell me, what can I (or any Council member) do about it? The winner list was sent to Quim before I, or any other Council member, even saw the TMO thread. It was already out of our hands before anyone had a complaint posted. He no doubt hit the "send" button not long after that. I doubt there's much that could be done to change anything, even if everyone involved deeply desired to do so.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=143

As well as you could contact him, iknow final list was delivered today, and i saw all other councils worring and hurring all sudden about it, with each one asking if he got list.

I didn't want to answer or write here anymore, and if you wouldn't answer just to be last, i wouldn't. But don't say nothing can be done and don't put on topic three lines you discussed how you hated and Arie. If you wanted to disscus at least why it happened and what was the problem? Why people were angry? Btw a lot just didn't speak up, check #maemo log or #harmattan log at least. it's like you like to say documented and than re-think before stating things especially in official meeting =)

It reminds me the movie "God bless america" when you just don't get the point.

Btw just wanted to say, that award as well was for past deeds, while few of you may have those, but not all, and been elected 5 of 7, and beeing only 1 month council is more future deeds.

Last edited by ZogG; 2012-06-26 at 00:28.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
As well as you could contact him, iknow final list was delivered today, and i saw all other councils worring and hurring all sudden about it, with each one asking if he got list.
Saw us how? We live in 4 different countries, physically hundreds to thousands of miles apart? I was the only one on IRC most of last week, excluding the meeting (which was logged pre and post above). I'd really love to know how you have such good track of everything, because right now I'm having a hard time keeping up with what's going on.

Actually, the winners list was sent well before the Council meeting on Friday (at 18:00 UTC), as you can see from the logs in the link above. Ivan notes at 21:18 that it was already sent, and that I was clearly out of the loop for not knowing that and what had happened with Fcrochik's device from the night before. And yes, apparently there was some issue and Quim had to be poked to check his mail (it apparently got filtered in some way). I didn't find out about that until just a bit ago either.

Again, I ask: What would you have me do? Rise up and rebel against Council, and Quim, and the community at large? Most of the community actually seems to agree with all this, including the Nokia rep handing out the devices. Should I champion a group of people that have done little but insult and attack the community volunteers getting these awards, if not me personally?

Despite your claims to the contrary, I've counted all of about twenty non-Council people on TMO that have bothered to post on this topic, despite it being #1 on the chart for most of the past 5 days. The result (based on people posting, not number of posts) was a pretty even split, for and against. Of the 8 people on IRC that said something about it, 4 were negative, 4 positive, and all but 2 of them chimed in on the TMO thread as well.

I really don't see a ground-swell here wanting to rip devices from people's hands to give them to others. I see a small group of people, many with misunderstandings on what CA was even about. I'm not saying there aren't valid concerns, but when all those concerns were discussed and decided in the distant past (including by at least one of the people whacking the bees nest now), it seems a bit off to me. If anything, most people who have commented to me are just fine with how things went.

I'll note, with one exception, nobody is refusing their award. And his refusal came before this debate started; and as far as I know is unrelated to his feelings on this matter, if he has any.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Btw just wanted to say, that award as well was for past deeds, while few of you may have those, but not all, and been elected 5 of 7, and beeing only 1 month council is more future deeds.
I find it wonderful that you're one of the few people that actually picked up that this was for past deeds. So many of the other posts were about what were these people promising to do to get the devices... and what apps had they developed. Again, as I stated, I didn't consider current status as Council in my decision. But who cares about the facts, or reads what I write anymore? I'm part of Council, and therefore a crook and cheat, right?

Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Thank you to the council for singling me out...

You guys rule!
You're welcome. But really, when you've done everything you can to draw the spotlight to yourself, why would you complain when you get it?

Btw, nice job on editing the log... a job <slanted new agency / fundamentalist religion here> would be proud of. Take a 90 minute meeting and clip out 3 lines from it to make it sound like you were the key topic of conversation.

Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Edit: Woody I am back to using my N9.
Really? Why would you want to use that outdated technology"?

But then clearly Council is just here to put people down, by:
  • holding our meetings in secret where others can't attend
  • keeping "outdated technology" in our pockets
  • meeting irregularly
  • never posting minutes or full logs of meetings

Just pure dictators, all of us. Me especially, hoarding all this info, hiding it so you can't see. I must be, being one of the people you singled out in just about all your posts on this topic, right from the start. I post information, and you reply, questioning, demanding explanations and more info and attacking me when I tell you that you're being questioning, demanding and rude.

Maybe I should just stop all that? Is that what's preferred? That Council makes no announcements? Or stops giving out any information? It would certainly be a lot easier for me. And it would give you a lot less to complain about. Not that lack of real facts would prevent people from just making up their own or assuming things. But at least I couldn't be quoted out of context any more...

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-06-26 at 01:56. Reason: Correcting typos...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland/Zurich
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post

Again, I ask: What would you have me do?
I think that this situation should result in preparing a policy for the future CA (if there's any), so that situation like the current one will not take place.

@Estel, I'm a new member, but I can see that your post does not contribute to the discussion and is only "argumentum ad personam", and as such should be avoided.

EDIT: The post by Estel that I comment was deleted by moderator, so this part isn't relevant any more.

Last edited by don.edri; 2012-06-26 at 09:06.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to don.edri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I have lso another proposal. Since maemo is dead. I think it would be a nice tribute to have a logo competition and vote for best Maemologotype and maybe posible to buy it on a t-shirt?

And maybee collect some money for a possible extraxtion from Nokia and the Elop regime.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-06-26 at 07:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
clarity, council fail, dishonesty, outcry, titfortat, trollmageddon, trolls, untrustworthy, whereisthelove