Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm removing a lot of unnecessary files, and after reading a couple of threads here, "Deleting Applications" and the excellent "Tuning the N810", after doing some things that people will probably call wreckless - removing README files in in a multitude of folders in ~/usr/share/ as well as going into ~/usr/share/applications/hildon/ and deletingthe *.desktop files for the apps I'll never use, as well as getting rid of the *.png files in ~/usr/share/backgrounds - killing all of the locales that I do not need... with:
Xournal
MPlayer
Tear
Mauku
Hometools
among others...
already installed, I've gotten about 127.5mb free... but I know I can get more. Any ideas where else I can get rid of stuff?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Heya Gerb.

I'm sure it's probably too late for this but it would have been best to delete everything that you're doing by command line and saving each record of it in a Notes file.

That way, you would have something to refer yourself to if anything went south, but more importantly, you would be able to share that doc with us so we could easily follow what you did.

And yeah, there's just a ton of useless crud that comes with Diablo. I think I remember that there even was a 10 meg Chinese font or something that wasn't needed. Could be wrong on this though.

Anyway, I did the same thing you're doing awhile back and deleted everything I could.

I ended up screwing the pooch when simple programs no longer functioned.

If you ever reflash and do this again, would you mind doing the command line suggestion and share that with us?

I still don't know how to dual boot so I definitely will follow what you're doing since it would be a simple copy and paste in Xterm.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
qwerty12 posted a sort of solution set for this issue. I haven't tried it, but here it is: Space saving tips

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Heya Gerb.

I'm sure it's probably too late for this but it would have been best to delete everything that you're doing by command line and saving each record of it in a Notes file.

That way, you would have something to refer yourself to if anything went south, but more importantly, you would be able to share that doc with us so we could easily follow what you did.

And yeah, there's just a ton of useless crud that comes with Diablo. I think I remember that there even was a 10 meg Chinese font or something that wasn't needed. Could be wrong on this though.

Anyway, I did the same thing you're doing awhile back and deleted everything I could.

I ended up screwing the pooch when simple programs no longer functioned.

If you ever reflash and do this again, would you mind doing the command line suggestion and share that with us?

I still don't know how to dual boot so I definitely will follow what you're doing since it would be a simple copy and paste in Xterm.

Thanks.
Sure... I'm pretty "safe" with it, just do a few things that aren't too destructive. I'm a stickler about space, but not to the point where I lose functionality.

I can pretty much list out what I'm doing a bit later. I'm just really killing a lot of locales, keyboards that aren't EN_US or EN_GB, and killing the backgrounds - I never use the stock ones anyway, and I only use the Echo theme, so I kill the rest.

But I'll see what I can do.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
qwerty12 posted a sort of solution set for this issue. I haven't tried it, but here it is: Space saving tips
Ok, now this is funny. I manually removed all of those, installed localepurge via dpkg and only saved 295k of space. So I'm doing by hand what localepurge && docpurge do by script.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sure... I'm pretty "safe" with it, just do a few things that aren't too destructive. I'm a stickler about space, but not to the point where I lose functionality.

I can pretty much list out what I'm doing a bit later. I'm just really killing a lot of locales, keyboards that aren't EN_US or EN_GB, and killing the backgrounds - I never use the stock ones anyway, and I only use the Echo theme, so I kill the rest.

But I'll see what I can do.
Thanks Gerb!

If you post a Notes file that I can copy and paste in Xterm as root, I'll definitely be the first to try this out.

I also could use some extra space as well but I no longer trust myself deleting unnecessary files on the tablet.

Addison, I might disappoint you by not being able to post my actual commands - but what I'll do is list out what all I did do. Not exactly the same, I just had completed everything and not sure if I'll be going back from a reflash to where I'm at now.

Gimme a while, but you'll see what I've done. It's nothing groundbreaking in the least, and I'm rather deliberate with what I delete.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I'd suggest you rather boot from MMC (which can be quicker, too) than wreaking havoc deleting random files. The files are registered in a package database and having them missing may cause package installs or firmware updates to fail.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Thanks and no disrespect, but I had to chuckle at one thing... "firmware updates".

No firmware updates are ever going to happen for Diablo from Nokia. To Nokia, it's dead. Very dead.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Addison, I might disappoint you by not being able to post my actual commands - but what I'll do is list out what all I did do. Not exactly the same, I just had completed everything and not sure if I'll be going back from a reflash to where I'm at now.

Gimme a while, but you'll see what I've done. It's nothing groundbreaking in the least, and I'm rather deliberate with what I delete.
Well shoot!

That's going to be much harder to follow along and take just as much time to complete as it probably took you.

Well, when you do post on this, I'll try to turn all that junk you did into running command lines for others to follow or in case I ever need to do this again.

Thanks Gerb.