Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Im not quite sure what forum to post this in.. please move to appropriate..

I am planning to do some video tutorials and app reviews on the N900 (and N8x0).. Is there a way to record the screen without just filming the device?

Would it work to install a VNC-server on the n900 and then vnc to it?

Please post suggestions..

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Using the following GStreamer pipe (taken from Istanbul) works in the SDK, with Xephyr running as display :2.0:
Code:
gst-launch-0.10 ximagesrc name=videosource display-name=:2.0 screen-num=0 startx=0 starty=0 endx=799 endy=479 use-damage=false show-pointer=false ! video/x-raw-rgb,framerate=24/1 ! videorate ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videoscale method=1 ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=800,height=480,framerate=24/1 ! theoraenc ! oggmux name=mux ! filesink location=test.ogg
I guess on the device you'd want to use the DSP h264 encoder and mpeg4 muxer instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
Using the following GStreamer pipe (taken from Istanbul) works in the SDK, with Xephyr running as display :2.0:
Code:
gst-launch-0.10 ximagesrc name=videosource display-name=:2.0 screen-num=0 startx=0 starty=0 endx=799 endy=479 use-damage=false show-pointer=false ! video/x-raw-rgb,framerate=24/1 ! videorate ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videoscale method=1 ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=800,height=480,framerate=24/1 ! theoraenc ! oggmux name=mux ! filesink location=test.ogg
I guess on the device you'd want to use the DSP h264 encoder and mpeg4 muxer instead.
You mean that would work on the device also ?

Originally Posted by claesbas View Post
Im not quite sure what forum to post this in.. please move to appropriate..

I am planning to do some video tutorials and app reviews on the N900 (and N8x0).. Is there a way to record the screen without just filming the device?
The snag you may run into on certain apps is that there are sometimes no on-screen cues to indicate where you've selected something.

So for example if you need to tap an icon but the icon doesn't change when you tap it, a direct video won't show how the action was taken.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
The snag you may run into on certain apps is that there are sometimes no on-screen cues to indicate where you've selected something.

So for example if you need to tap an icon but the icon doesn't change when you tap it, a direct video won't show how the action was taken.
Mm, I can see that problem. I can add something for that I suppose (abit of work) in post production as long as I remember where I pressed..

Looking forward in testing this..

The Following User Says Thank You to claesbas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Check http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/load-applet/

It has currently a bug preventing proper video recording but hopefully it's fixed but the time the N900 is in the shops.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
could you use vnc and a PC based screen recorder?

Actually, it would be neat to have an app that records the screen and also shows keypresses in the corner of the video and taps on the screen. I wish I had the time to make this, but it's a thought for a motivated party.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
could you use vnc and a PC based screen recorder?
That was my first idea there too. I do not know if vnc server works on the N900 yet.

Tags
record screen video