Active Topics

In case you didn't notice, I've fixed my previous posts to acceptable conditions.

Keep up the great work!

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Trevligt...

Great initiative! I do kind of share Tintin's concern whether there is a need for a swedish maemo site though. While I imagine there could be room for a local site which makes maemo more accessible to 'Average Joes' (medelsvenssons?), I wonder if it is a good idea to create a sub-community of developers instead of attracting them to maemo.org? Maybe it can work as a bridge to maemo.org though.

Again, nice initiative and good-looking site!

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
Trevligt...

Great initiative! I do kind of share Tintin's concern whether there is a need for a swedish maemo site though. While I imagine there could be room for a local site which makes maemo more accessible to 'Average Joes' (medelsvenssons?), I wonder if it is a good idea to create a sub-community of developers instead of attracting them to maemo.org? Maybe it can work as a bridge to maemo.org though.

Again, nice initiative and good-looking site!
Tack! You are probably right about the swedish developers.. I wonder how many they are activly developing for maemo atm.

Hi,

The site does look really good!

I don't see a problem with having local places to get knowledge in your own language. As said it's a softer landing to something new. And also a local site can be good for normal users, not just developers. And a local community (or parts of it) has the possibility to occasionally meet face to face, that's a valuable possibility too.

And if you make a practical getting started section, please remember us in maemo.org :-) Extras and garage can be used with little English skills if necessary.
(but to be honest I haven't met one swede in the IT industry who hasn't spoken excellent English, and I have met many).

Lycka till!

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Why is it fixed width at 1280 pixels?

Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
Hi,

The site does look really good!

I don't see a problem with having local places to get knowledge in your own language. As said it's a softer landing to something new. And also a local site can be good for normal users, not just developers. And a local community (or parts of it) has the possibility to occasionally meet face to face, that's a valuable possibility too.

And if you make a practical getting started section, please remember us in maemo.org :-) Extras and garage can be used with little English skills if necessary.
(but to be honest I haven't met one swede in the IT industry who hasn't spoken excellent English, and I have met many).

Lycka till!
It is its defenitivly not a replacement for maemo.org for swedes that are developers, Im just hoping there can be room for some developing stuff there too and not only the candy stuff I am able to contribute. Maybe have a english maemosweden.org/apps/ part where some "made in sweden" apps are..

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Why is it fixed width at 1280 pixels?
The initial plan was to make a 800px fixed for mobile use and one 1280px template for desktop use. I even looked at joomla extensions that can feel what browser you are using so that it would choose and appropriate template. But as I started to first test it in my N810 I noticed the left column was in a good width for the 800x480 res and the site was quite useful. Then I was lucky to be able to test it on a N900 and there it was a really smooth experience with the double tapping to zoom in and also zoom out far. Having a special "mobile" version of the website is for iphones! the Nokias are the real web experience in mobileformat..

Last edited by claesbas; 2009-11-01 at 19:21.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Great idea imo. Although most swedes, along with their fellow northerners, are able to express themselves in english quite well, it's still easier to get your point across in your first language.

Now where's maemoperkele.org? Need that for some straight shootin
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Designs looks pretty good. I find the "Maemo Sweden" logo bit strange. I mean, if the whole point of the site is to provide info in swedish, shouldn't it then be named in swedish also. "Maemo Sverige", or even better "Maemo Svenska" since there are quite a bit swedish speakers in other countries as well (Finland).

Anyway, lycka till.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Nice job really ..

congrats for the amazing website

The Following User Says Thank You to abu9al7 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Designs looks pretty good. I find the "Maemo Sweden" logo bit strange. I mean, if the whole point of the site is to provide info in swedish, shouldn't it then be named in swedish also. "Maemo Sverige", or even better "Maemo Svenska" since there are quite a bit swedish speakers in other countries as well (Finland).

Anyway, lycka till.
The logo is in swedish on the site there "MaemoSverige" and that is probably the one to use. I made and english version just if someone wanted to post something about it on a english site. You are right that the MaemoSverige is the way to prefer..

Tags
maemo sweden community