Maybe they wanted to return to making winter boots?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Dave, Symbian was more than an OS to Nokia. It was their culture. Their way of life. Their baby. Their... precioussss. And, as juiceme correctly points out, eventually their undoing.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
the article says nokia is much smaller than in 2008, but i would say it doesn't even exist. what the author may think about is the nokia branded devices from hmd global, but those have nothing to do with nokia, except the model names.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Dave, Symbian was more than an OS to Nokia. It was their culture. Their way of life. Their baby. Their... precioussss. And, as juiceme correctly points out, eventually their undoing.
Well, that’s still not what killed em. But yeah, if you want to make it easy. Then yeah.

But think about it. They had money, position, too many engineers and managers...and you still think an OS is the reason behind the downfall?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Elop did that... Not symbian... Yeah, symbian was allready nearly dead but Elop shoot the final shot and after that was only downhill...

[edit]
Ofcourse Ollila was the Main reason and Most guilty... He chose his successor and big money from M$
[/edit]

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

Last edited by catbus; 2018-11-17 at 18:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by smatkovi View Post
the article says nokia is much smaller than in 2008, but i would say it doesn't even exist. what the author may think about is the nokia branded devices from hmd global, but those have nothing to do with nokia, except the model names.
Still has almost 80000 employees so not totally nonexistent?
And have you checked the stock market, NOK is still traded so that'd prove it exists I think

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
Elop did that... Not symbian... Yeah, symbian was allready nearly dead but Elop shoot the final shot and after that was only downhill...

[edit]
Ofcourse Ollila was the Main reason and Most guilty... He chose his successor and big money from M$
[/edit]
So. If you removed Elop from the equation they would somehow have succeeded to fix the sinking ship?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Symbian did
I need to detail a bit more my view.
I would not say Symbian caused the downfall (I really did like to use S60 devices and modding) but the keep holding on it.
At its time it was a nice thing (hard for developer I know , but compare to SFOS developer situation ).
With no info on the internals (which we most likely never will get fully) it is really hard to judge...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I need to detail a bit more my view.
I would not say Symbian caused the downfall (I really did like to use S60 devices and modding) but the keep holding on it.
At its time it was a nice thing (hard for developer I know , but compare to SFOS developer situation ).
With no info on the internals (which we most likely never will get fully) it is really hard to judge...
Im sorry but as a SFOS developer, I find this offensive to say the least.
Saying that Symbian is easier than SFOS is blasphemy right there! There's no way 2 stacks are easier than one!

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, Peter. That's exactly what juiceme said. In just two words

And I totally agree with tortoise. Developing in Symbian was a royal PITA.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: