Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Interesting question.

I never worried about the CPU, even overclocked not surviving me by decades.
You should be; electromigration will eat your chipset soonet or later. Very much sooner the more heat you pump into it by overclocking

My concern is about the "hard disk" , it must have a certain limitation in write cycles it can support, no?
Especially with heavy swapping going on.
Yes, this is the main thing that will kill your device.
Swapping to emmc should be forbidden by law IMHO.

32GB is still standard today, and Nokia generously provided it in 2010, I suppose either all 32GB sizes were pretty high end or some corners other than it not being the fastest one around must have been cut in the process.
So far no issues though: only one GPS down and one "all telephone functions have been desabled.
I suppose the ATFD problem is most often caused by temperature cycling on the chipset BGA since some people have been able to fix it by reflowing.

And of course the batteries.
Well yes; one day those will not be available any longer so I suspect we'll have to start hacking batteries by converting some other type to BL-5j's, just like people have hacked batteries to fit the SBJ1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
[QUOTE=peterleinchen;1550052]
Originally Posted by ste-phan
So far no issues though: only one GPS down and one "all telephone functions have been desabled.[/]
only one and another

which are quite outstanding and I used my first for around 5 years...
Still have some original batteries going but they start to break down and I suppose my laziness resulting of negligence towards charging them monthly has a lot do to with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You should be; electromigration will eat your chipset soonet or later. Very much sooner the more heat you pump into it by overclocking
I've been overclocking my S3 graphic cards, Voodoo 3DFx cards, Pentiums and their MMX version and still writing this on my 2008 intel Quad Core, 30 precent overclocked since the very beginning and I have failed to break anything but a hard disk due to overclocking (the bus speed).

Funny how I now feel no urge to overclock the N900 like I did back in early 2011 where the N900 was just a transitional device (little did we know the plan being forged at Microsoft) and overclocking it to 800 - 1000Mhz was providing a glimpse into next year's bright future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
32GB is still standard today, and Nokia generously provided it in 2010, I suppose either all 32GB sizes were pretty high end or some corners other than it not being the fastest one around must have been cut in the process.
Does anyone know if the N900's flash is SLC or MLC?
This should make a big difference in terms of longevity. I have 2 SLC USB sticks also from 2008 which I've mainly used for mobile Linux Systems, one of them quite intensively. Both are still working fine.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I've never understood, why overCLOCKING alone would introduce more heat into a component. As I understand it, it's overVOLTING that actually increases temperatures.
Granted, both are often done together, because overvolting helps with overclocking, but the way I see it, overclocking alone, without overvolting should be totally safe.

That being said, just some weeks ago I had a desktop CPU and its board from 2008 dying on me. I had the CPU overclocked and also very slightly overvolted during the first two years of its lifetime. But after that the computer ran fine on stock speed and voltage for another eight years, before it showed any problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
[QUOTE=peterleinchen;1550052]
Originally Posted by ste-phan
So far no issues though: only one GPS down and one "all telephone functions have been desabled.[/]
only one and another (...).
We all know issues of n900. I never had problems with GPS, for telephony functions disabled there is a dirty workaround (Only tried once and it did work, but don't know how long, dont have this unit anymore, but event without modem support you still got working tablet

Interesting question.

I never worried about the CPU, even overclocked not surviving me by decades.

My concern is about the "hard disk" , it must have a certain limitation in write cycles it can support, no?
Especially with heavy swapping going on. (...)
Yes, probably CPU can handle x times more than memory can. But up to this day I find n900 internal memory chip to be indestructible. At least I never expirienced problems with none of my units and I got/had plenty

Also memory wearing off can be greatly reduced by swapping on microSD, not mentioning booting from card. Keep your swap and media on memory card and probalby the internal memory will go off all together with CPU No soon anyway

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I've never understood, why overCLOCKING alone would introduce more heat into a component. As I understand it, it's overVOLTING that actually increases temperatures.
The MOS technology is voltage driven. Logical gates in a static state carry virtually no current. Nor does the input of the next gate. This is their main advantage over older technologies such as TTL that are current driven. The only current the gates consume in a static state is a leak current, measured in nA (nano-amperes) or less.

The situation changes rapidly on a transition between states. It takes a finite time for the top transistor to open and the bottom one to close (or vice versa) and during this transition both transistors are briefly partly open, causing a brief current spike. It is very short, lasting a tiny fraction of the clock pulse length, but it is non-zero. Furthermore, the input of the next gate acts as a tiny capacitor which needs charging or discharging every time the logical state changes. Again, the capacity is minuscule and so is the charging/discharging current, but with millions of gates on a chip it all adds up.

You can imagine that the more logical state transitions per a unit of time, the more both of these effects are noticeable. Hence, higher clock frequency = increased overall current consumption = increased heat.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It takes a finite time for the top transistor to open and the bottom one to close (or vice versa) and during this transition both transistors are briefly partly open, causing a brief current spike. It is very short, lasting a tiny fraction of the clock pulse length, but it is non-zero. Furthermore, the input of the next gate acts as a tiny capacitor which needs charging or discharging every time the logical state changes.
Wow, this actually makes a lot of sense, and quite frankly, I could have already known that!
So thanks a lot for putting the pieces together for me!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Yeah I got:
a couple batteries because they seem to wear down,
and another touch screen and tools to install it but am still using the original (fairly scratched) one,
but my biggest problem is that some old voltage shorted a circuit and now a keyboard backlight stays on (even when the device is off), and the microusb port doesn't get enough power to run mass storage nor the flasher.

I don't use the device very heavily, mostly just as a filing system; and music player; and to read the internet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by bradvesp View Post
my biggest problem is that some old voltage shorted a circuit and now a keyboard backlight stays on (even when the device is off)
Are you sure that it is a short circuit? The N900 makes a copious use of magnets for all sorts of things, including the keyboard open/close detection (see here for similar problems I had once, including an approximate location of that magnet). Unless you are absolutely sure about the cause, I would start looking around that area.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Are you sure that it is a short circuit? The N900 makes a copious use of magnets for all sorts of things, including the keyboard open/close detection (see here for similar problems I had once, including an approximate location of that magnet). Unless you are absolutely sure about the cause, I would start looking around that area.
I looked at your post. (I bought the same white casing years ago). I still think it's a short circuit. It's only the keyboard light's left half that stays on; closest to the microusb plug. It started after I was plugged into an electrical system I imagine was installed in 1905. The whole system went goofy for a few minutes, I lost all battery power. Since I was in the wildeness I wasn't able to try to fix it for a few days later, so maybe there was some condensation buildup, but I doubt that (for no good reason except that the problem didn't dissipate at the rate water does). The keyboard light's on even when the keyboard's closed and whiie the device is otherwise off.
Fortunitally, with two batteries, a power cord fron and LG phone, low use, and bluetooth for file transfers it hasn't been much trouble.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900