Active Topics

Been searching for reasons to upgrade my xperia x to xa2. So far it seems not to improve much. Battery capacity is notably better, CPU power seems slightly better, bluetooth is version 5 but front cam quality is worse, gpu is worse (?) and it is thicker than X.

What are your reasons to upgrade? Did i miss something?

This leaves me begging if there are adaptations coming to xa2 variations with better specs. There is a bigger screen plus etc version with top specs which would be delicious for multitasking.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I don't think that the CPU power is better but I think the CPU should be more efficient. Together with the bigger battery that should give us an outstanding operation time.

Design is better. But that's a matter of taste.

Beeing thicker it allows me to hold it save in my hands without a cover. The x was to thin in my opinion.

Screen is slightly larger, boarders are thinner. So having a bigger screen without making the phone larger is an advantage.

Bluetooth isn't good on X so hopefully that gets better with XA2.

XA2 is getting Android 8, X probably just 7.

Faster LTE Standard Cat 12/13 vs. Cat 6.

So all together, the only real technical reason for a switch in my opinion is the operation time. There are some "nice to haves", but nothing what changes to much.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
What are your reasons to upgrade?
It's newer. That's always better, is it not?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
If I had an X I would not change it...why paying a new device and a new license for almost nothing? If the X does not satisfy you, maybe it's better to switch back to Android, the same phone could give you a lot more depending what you need.
I don't want to be pessimistic, but I am pretty sure that even the XA2 won't be bug-free.
This is Sailfish and I like it even with its few functionalities, since I am writing with a Nexus 5 with still SFOS 2.0.4
Nice to be part of this OS development, but not so nice wasting resources and playing the market game, changing phone once a year.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Just to throw in that the screen is a bit bigger too - about 5.1 mm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
If I had an X I would not change it.
Quite so! I am not (yet) changing my Jolla while it still works and fulfills my needs. Ask yourself if your current phone does and only 'upgrade' if the answer is no.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
There is an issue with XA2 TA partition backup, there is no known way to do it. This means that XA2 phones cannot be restored to their original state, or claim guaranty.

In terms of specs XA2 is marginally better that X, but I think the overall UX will be much better, at least for the android environment. How much of that will be supported from SFOS X is not known yet.

Also XA2 has more variants from X and it seems SFOS X will be supporting some of these variants from the beginning.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
There is an issue with XA2 TA partition backup, there is no known way to do it. This means that XA2 phones cannot be restored to their original state, or claim guaranty.
Where is that information from. I haven't found anything about this issue.
And even if this issue exists. The device is part of the Open Device Program. I can't imagine Sony would try to refuse warranty.

And at least in Germany law, there must be a link between the defect and what you have done to a device. Just for example: If you decide to spray the seats of your car pink. The car manufacturer can't claim that, when you have a engine break down.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
I would not change my SFOS for anything. It has served me better than Androids ever can. I still may update to XA2 just out of curiosity and support.

But what made me now very curious is what pagis said. Do you know for a fact that more XA variants will be officially supported? That would be awesome. I would very much like to see SFOS on a cutting edge phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
I would not change my SFOS for anything. It has served me better than Androids ever can. I still may update to XA2 just out of curiosity and support.

But what made me now very curious is what pagis said. Do you know for a fact that more XA variants will be officially supported? That would be awesome. I would very much like to see SFOS on a cutting edge phone.
This is clear that both the XA2 (pioneer) and XA2 ultra (discovery) will be supported from the launch.
Edit: Actually the XA2 Plus (voyager) will also be supported. For the source, look for instance at https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-...dff8e9ccf71654

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post: