Active Topics

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by bradvesp View Post
but my biggest problem is that some old voltage shorted a circuit and now a keyboard backlight stays on (even when the device is off), and the microusb port doesn't get enough power to run mass storage nor the flasher.
Maybe you are in developer mode (keyboard backlight always on) and you device doesn't switch really off. So what happens when you pull the battery, wait for 20sec, and put the battery again, does your backlight from the keyboard switch on?
When you backlight stays off, try to use the flasher now and reflash N900. When the device powers up by insterting the battery the developer mode is active.

edit: to turn off the developer mode:

Code:
flasher-3.5 --disable-rd-mode
Or use package flasher on device to disable rd mode.

Disable keyboard light in r&d mode (not tested by me):
Edit /etc/pmconfig and change "sleep_ind 1" to "sleep_ind 0", then reboot
Disable keyboard light with mce in general:

Go to mce.ini and look for this line:
Modules=display;keypad;vibrator;led;battery;filter-brightness-als;inactivity;alarm;accelerometer;callstate;camer a;homekey;audiorouting

Remove the word 'keypad' to make it look like this:

Modules=display;vibrator;led;battery;filter-brightness-als;inactivity;alarm;accelerometer;callstate;camer a;homekey;audiorouting

Restart the phone and remove the battery. Now turn it on again.
A script that turns it on and off. It changes the behavior of some switches (maybe worth a try).

Last edited by Halftux; 2018-11-05 at 19:12.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I had this I recall it being caused by frequent cold shutdowns; the battery being loose due to the Mugen cover & double Scud connection issue, one day the LED was stuck. I don't think it was lit when powered off, it has been a few years now so I dont actually recall. Nothing I could do fixed the problem and it drained the lifetime of the battery significantly. I desoldered the surface mount LED and used that N900 for another year or two when I think the MMC corrupted or the no-SIM happened. There was enough backlight form the others to use the KB after removing one LED.
I think you could even fix the problem as an amateur by destructively crunching the LED with a needle nose pliers if you don't have a hot air rework station or soldering iron and the basic skills to use them to desolder surface mount components.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
My ideas for longevity
1-Use a replaceable SD card for swap save your internal MMC
2-keep backup images and backup of repos
3-DO NOT use the double-Scud battery hack, this flexes the system board and has caused me 3 no-Sim N900s, not sure if it was the battery or cover causing more flexing
4-charge your phone in a drawr where the phone is not at risk of falling
or bending the USB port
5-a screen cover and case are a good idea, though I have a good number of spare screens and plastic at this point
6-use a bluetooth headset, better to keep your N900 in a safe dry pocket than risk leaving it somewhere, a Pebble smartwatch even lets you skip songs and preview SMSs

at one point I was a big believer in plugging the USB port with a Qi stick on charger but it turned out to be a big bother.

I seriously cant believe that in an indeterminate time I will be either stuck making a crappy rPi phone or dreaming for the apparently permanently delayed(fusion power and flying cars anyone?) merging to mainline kernel for android giving us access to those crappy but at least usable(like in Maemo)bin drivers for the kernel versions they are released for.

I have a up to date Android tablet, the hardware is fine, the OS is crap, but I like having Gnu tools to work with and being able to have several live windows running. I know how to close programs when I am done with them.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
I'm on my 5th N900 I bought in early 2015, still going strong.

Then again, it was nearly new when I bought it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
on my main device the modem got loose last year.. (need to copy the whole device to a new one... can't find an easy way)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shubell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by shubell View Post
on my main device the modem got loose last year.. (need to copy the whole device to a new one... can't find an easy way)
Looks like my fourth (or fifth?) N900 starts to fail on modem, too (AGAIN)

Copying a device is a piece of cake.
Flash new device with eMMC and rootfs images.
Make sure you have the same kernel on both devices (either having CSSU installed or manually power kernel or ...).
Install backupmenu on old and new device.
Make a full backup (rootfs and home) on the old device to a SD card.
Restore full from the SD card on the new device.
Connect both devices via USB and clone MyDocs from old to new device.
Done.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Still have all my original n900's in same working order as I got them.
3 pristine functional and 1 purchased with known usb connector issue and 1 purchased with known telephony issues.

Even so...

Even if my n900s last 50 more years (as some project..but I think that is an extreme projection...) before finally falling apart...

My n8x0's will last 50 years longer

And me?
Possibly I will be aiming in 50 years at my second childhood...
I won't go into a home...I refuse that.
Nor a palliative care...or hospital ..
I imagine I will be pushing up the sd cards in a cemetery ..
Hm..naw that is doubtful..
most likely strewn about...half of me on some mountainside from a "last walk" I went on and the other half in the belly of some cougar, bear or other animal that came across the body...
I just can't die indoors...in a bed...pumped up on meds so I don't know what is going on...

A good last hike through the hills...with a light backpack with a bit of food ...a quick exit plan (gun or pills or something)...some comfy clothes...and time to spend a few good summer days and nights hiking ...enjoying the sunsets and views ...

and of course...
take just one n900 with extra batteries for some music and reading at night..
and leave the rest of my nxx0's for others to continue to enjoy

Never know when one's time may come...
May come quick ...may have time to do something before it is time to go..
But no matter what...
Just in case...
ALWAYS make sure your spare batteries are charged up..

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-03-09 at 01:36.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
My only N900 which I bought 9th of December 2009 broke yesterday. "All telephony functions disabled". Thought that the sim-card was just loose and tried few tricks to get it pressed against the contacts, but nothing helped and I am now forced to change my daily private phone to something else. Sim card is temporarily located in my spare Jolla, but plan to install Sailfish on some Sony phone (Xperia X or Xperia 10. I have both of these, just not using them). One option would be to switch to N9 which I acquired some time ago (battered, but working), but I think I just store it. I had N9 when they were available as my work phone, but that was a leased device which I let go off after the lease time was up.

I was always putting away the phone change, but now have to bite he bullet. Luckily N900 works otherwise just fine and I'm able to export all data out of it.

I might take a second look into the N900 just to see if I can get it into working order, but that's at the bottom of the to-do list.

I will likely go with Xperia X as installing Sailfish into it is simpler, and try shoehorning Xperia 10 into working order later.

Too bad, I always wanted to retire N900 in fully working order, but I guess one can not get everything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by Tsippaduida View Post
My only N900 which I bought 9th of December 2009 broke yesterday. "All telephony functions disabled". Thought that the sim-card was just loose and tried few tricks to get it pressed against the contacts, but nothing helped and I am now forced to change my daily private phone to something else. Sim card is temporarily located in my spare Jolla, but plan to install Sailfish on some Sony phone (Xperia X or Xperia 10. I have both of these, just not using them). One option would be to switch to N9 which I acquired some time ago (battered, but working), but I think I just store it. I had N9 when they were available as my work phone, but that was a leased device which I let go off after the lease time was up.

I was always putting away the phone change, but now have to bite he bullet. Luckily N900 works otherwise just fine and I'm able to export all data out of it.

I might take a second look into the N900 just to see if I can get it into working order, but that's at the bottom of the to-do list.

I will likely go with Xperia X as installing Sailfish into it is simpler, and try shoehorning Xperia 10 into working order later.

Too bad, I always wanted to retire N900 in fully working order, but I guess one can not get everything.
It is very easy and quick to repair n900 telephony problem. It takes less time than flashing Xperia X

The Following User Says Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
It is very easy and quick to repair n900 telephony problem. It takes less time than flashing Xperia X
Really? How many such devices you have fixed and was the fix permanent or just bought you a week of extra time?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900