Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MoritzJT View Post
I cannot accept a device management policy on my phone that has remote wipe and whatnot capability that also affects user data. It is unacceptable as a tradeoff to gain corporate interest for SFOS in my opinion.
Then good bye corporate uptake of SFOS.

I really wish people at least tried to see things from the other side before they blurted out their holy truths. Imagine you were the company owner. Would you risk your company's trade secrets by allowing your employees to use insecure devices, without encryption and remote management including wipe? If you did and they left the phone on the train, you would have only yourself to blame.

Different hardware for work and pleasure is the obvious answer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by velox View Post
  • "Encrypt user data" (Accepting this will encrypt all user data stored on the device. This is an irreversible change and you will need to enter a lock code on all future boots in order to access your data.<br><br>If you accept the device will reboot automatically and you will be prompted for your lock code before encrypting your data. This may take as long as an hour and your device will not be usable again until the encryption has completed.)
I wonder how this is implemented - it basically means they will probably do in place conversion from unencrypted volume to an encrypted one as they can hardly leave enough place free to make it possible to create a new ecrypted volume of same size as the current one and copy the current data to that. Apparently there is a tool to do in-place LUKS conversion, so maybe they are going to use that. Or they could setup LUKS by default and just set the encryption key once requested (& possibly reencrypt the data with it).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
It would be easy with filesystem-level encryption, like encfs or ecryptfs. Still I'd prefer blockdev-level.

The Following User Says Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2017 @ Finland
This thread is dead for no reason..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Korkkiruuvi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
I didn't want to start a new thread but wasn't sure where else to put this. I am a potential new user and have a few "does Sailfish do _____?" questions. Hope that's okay.

1) Is there a web site somewhere with a detailed overview of exactly what features Sailfish offers? I'm not talking about simple videos on swiping or using the camera. I have managed to figure out things like it not including a JVM or a radio app, and not offering downloadable maps, but

2) What sorts of tethering are supported? Bluetooth? Wired? If wired tethering is supported, what drivers package does it use on the computer side? Maybe the same as Android?

3) Does Sailfish include "office" software, i.e. for reading .doc, .docx, .rtf, .xls, .xlsx, and .csv files...plus .odt and .ods since it's Linux? I expect there is a .pdf reader. Is this all native code?

4) What's the current state of the API for blocking calls? I've been getting lots more robo calls lately (is the rest of the world also plagued?) and wish for something better than Blackballer on my E73, which can only process known phone numbers.

5) In previous talk of roadmaps, was there any mention of using the last Symbian feature set as guidance? If so, I would hope all of the above is coming soon.

Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by thetao View Post
I have managed to figure out things like it not including a JVM
Indeed, no JVM. On the other hand, Sailfish OS is a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood, so if Java is still that much important (is it in 2018 ?) somebody in the community would eventually port it.

or a radio app,
No official FM radio app by Jolla Oy or 3rd party (on the official app shop).

On 3rd party repos (basically openrepos.net) :

- For FM radio, I heard about PirateFM, works on some phones with FM Qualcomm receivers. Kimmoli has written it for the OnePlus-X. Users have reported using it succesfully on Jolla C phones. Currently according to Jolla, the FM driver for the Sony Xperia X isn't enabled in Sailfish X.

- For Web radio, I personally use AllRadio, it serves all my needs.
It's also available on the official Jolla shop.

and not offering downloadable maps,
It happens that no map is pre-installed when you take the phone out-of-the-box.

But there's the wonderful "OSM Scout Server" (developped by Rinigus on this same forum).

It's available on 3rd party repositories.

It is also available on the official Jolla app shop, but due to some current policies, some function on the app shop version might be disabled (If I remember correctly : applications on the Jolla shop cannot run in the background, so the daemon mode might be disabled. You'll have to ask Rinigus). Anyway newer version usually come faster on the openrepos than on the official shop.

This OSM Scout is a local map server. Basically, it's like having your own Google Maps server installed locally on your phone.

It can be used by applications such as Poor Maps (simple 2D map displayer), WhoGo Maps (the new best app for maps on Sailfish) or used as a map back-end in unrelated applications like Laufhelden (a sports tracker Sailfish application. it can use OSM Scout to display a minimap along your sport tracking. Extremely useful when you do sports out of cell coverage or abroad out of roaming).

What sorts of tethering are supported? Bluetooth? Wired? If wired tethering is supported, what drivers package does it use on the computer side? Maybe the same as Android?
Sailfish usually has 2 way to show up on the computer side :
- You can either select that weird MTP thingy that Windows uses to share files.
- Or you can show up as a network device (Sailfish call it "Developer mode") and then do whatever pleases you (e.g.: SSH into your phone)
(You can also not show up and just charge).

Regarding tethering :
- the official interface out of the box only offers Wifi Connection sharing.

- By using the network access ("Dev mode" of the USB connector) you could basically do whatever you want.
I'm sure there should be some nice user-friendly interface on some repository to help you set it up, but I haven't investigated.
I'm more a command line guy, so I basically have 2 approaches :
- either I SSH to the phone using the "dynamic proxy" option ("-D" option) of ssh to setup a SOCKS proxy and only set the proxy in a couple of desktop application (e.g.: proxy in Firefox using FoxyProxy for easier switching) to save bandwidth.
- or a manually setup NAT forwarding using ip tables.

I've never attempted bluetooth networking on Sailfish.

Does Sailfish include "office" software, i.e. for reading .doc, .docx, .rtf, .xls, .xlsx, and .csv files...plus .odt and .ods since it's Linux? I expect there is a .pdf reader. Is this all native code?
Out of the box, the phone is naked, again.

On the official Jolla app shop, you'll find "Documents", an official native document reader for Sailfish.

If you install the Android compatibility layer, then you can go crazy with whatever floats your boat.

e.g.: The official Aptoid of Sailfish features things like Microsoft Office, Polaris Office, WPS Office, ... but only the Viewer from LibreOffice (?)
You can get even more out of other Aptoids, or even from Google Play (if you install Google Services) or Yalp (if you install MicroG, respectively).

Though, regarding Android, keep in mind that :

- current android layer is Myriad's Alien-Dalvik
Because it's an implementation of the android dalvik "kind-of-JVM JIT", it's stuck at Android 4.0 Kitkat.
you wont be able to get Lollipop-only apps running.

- Sailfish OS 3.x will, according to Jolla's blog, bring android improvements, but they can't say much yet. (probably NDAs with the various companies they are investigating).

4) What's the current state of the API for blocking calls? I've been getting lots more robo calls lately (is the rest of the world also plagued?) and wish for something better than Blackballer on my E73, which can only process known phone numbers.
Saddly I haven't much experience. Have noticed efforts like Phonehook and scumstopper. But don't know much about it.
Info blurb about the first - phonehook - mentions supporting wildcards, and seems to be still used (and htus working ?) in 2018.

In general :
- Out of the box, the phone is pretty much naked (on purpose, to be light and minimalist)
- On the official Jolla store, you can quickly find a couple of official Jolla application covering most of the basic needs.
- There's a community of 3rd parties devs, spread between the official Jolla app shop and mostly OpenRepos as a 3rd party repo.
- It's a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood. You can pretty much do anything.
- Sometimes, it might require some efforts (tracking the best 3rd party app from some community dev on a 3rd party repo).
- Sometimes, it might require getting your hands dirty and eventually type a few stuff on the command line (SSH or fingerterm).

Depending on your needs, its pretty much usable as a daily driver.
(Still:
- check if you have some unusual needs. In your case : check if you can find a decent Office android app to edit while on the go as this is something that you seem to need.
- check if that stupid android app that you bank *absolutely insist you have to use* in order to log works (or public transportation e-ticket, etc.) Some are outright available on the sailfish aptoid, some require installing Google Services, some might even require an additional java library)

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
Thanks for all the great information!!!!

Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
Indeed, no JVM. On the other hand, Sailfish OS is a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood, so if Java is still that much important (is it in 2018 ?) somebody in the community would eventually port it.
Maybe not, but I still hope it's on a roadmap somewhere. Sailfish 4.0?

- For FM radio, I heard about PirateFM, works on some phones with FM Qualcomm receivers.
I'd be using a Xperia, which should have the right hardware. I recall reading somewhere that the original N900 radio app also works?

But there's the wonderful "OSM Scout Server" (developped by Rinigus on this same forum).
[...]
This OSM Scout is a local map server. Basically, it's like having your own Google Maps server installed locally on your phone.

It can be used by applications such as Poor Maps (simple 2D map displayer), WhoGo Maps (the new best app for maps on Sailfish).
And all native code, too. Thanks for the details!

Regarding tethering :

- By using the network access ("Dev mode" of the USB connector) you could basically do whatever you want.
I'm sure there should be some nice user-friendly interface on some repository to help you set it up, but I haven't investigated.
- either I SSH to the phone using the "dynamic proxy" option ("-D" option) of ssh to setup a SOCKS proxy and only set the proxy in a couple of desktop application (e.g.: proxy in Firefox using FoxyProxy for easier switching) to save bandwidth.

I can do command line, but will need some kind of driver on the host side to communicate with the Xperia's modem to dial out. Given my current circumstances, lack of wired tethering may be a hard stop. I didn't completely understand your "Dev mode" explanation. Would this let me use the modem?

On the official Jolla app shop, you'll find "Documents", an official native document reader for Sailfish.

If you install the Android compatibility layer, then you can go crazy with whatever floats your boat.

e.g.: The official Aptoid of Sailfish features things like Microsoft Office, Polaris Office, WPS Office, ... but only the Viewer from LibreOffice (?)
You can get even more out of other Aptoids, or even from Google Play (if you install Google Services) or Yalp (if you install MicroG, respectively).
Sorry, I didn't understand "Aptoid". The software you list is available for download?

Saddly I haven't much experience. Have noticed efforts like Phonehook and scumstopper. But don't know much about it.
Info blurb about the first - phonehook - mentions supporting wildcards, and seems to be still used (and htus working ?) in 2018.
Well, it's still something.

(Still:
- check if you have some unusual needs. In your case : check if you can find a decent Office android app to edit while on the go as this is something that you seem to need.
I'm still using a Symbian phone and find it a little frustrating that I may need to give up certain useful functionality, seemingly in exchange for a groovy/funky UI. But Sailfish is really my only option because I don't like Android and won't buy an iPhone, I don't mind the occasional Android app, but am choosing Sailfish in part to avoid Google Play Services. If any bank absolutely relies on an APP for mobile use, then I'm banking somewhere else! I lived through the Netscape vs. IE browser wars once, when web sites told you to "go away and come back with our favorite software (typically IE)". Not doing that again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay

- For FM radio, I heard about PirateFM, works on some phones with FM Qualcomm receivers. Kimmoli has written it for the OnePlus-X. Users have reported using it succesfully on Jolla C phones. Currently according to Jolla, the FM driver for the Sony Xperia X isn't enabled in Sailfish X.

- For Web radio, I personally use AllRadio, it serves all my needs.
It's also available on the official Jolla shop.

It happens that no map is pre-installed when you take the phone out-of-the-box.

It's available on 3rd party repositories.

It is also available on the official Jolla app shop, but due to some current policies, some function on the app shop version might be disabled (If I remember correctly : applications on the Jolla shop cannot run in the background, so the daemon mode might be disabled. You'll have to ask Rinigus). Anyway newer version usually come faster on the openrepos than on the official shop.

It can be used by applications such as Poor Maps (simple 2D map displayer), WhoGo Maps (the new best app for maps on Sailfish) or used as a map back-end in unrelated applications like Laufhelden (a sports tracker Sailfish application. it can use OSM Scout to display a minimap along your sport tracking. Extremely useful when you do sports out of cell coverage or abroad out of roaming).

Sailfish usually has 2 way to show up on the computer side :
- You can either select that weird MTP thingy that Windows uses to share files.
- Or you can show up as a network device (Sailfish call it "Developer mode") and then do whatever pleases you (e.g.: SSH into your phone)
(You can also not show up and just charge).

Regarding tethering :

Out of the box, the phone is naked, again.

Though, regarding Android, keep in mind that :

- current android layer is Myriad's Alien-Dalvik
Because it's an implementation of the android dalvik "kind-of-JVM JIT", it's stuck at Android 4.0 Kitkat.
you wont be able to get Lollipop-only apps running.

- Sailfish OS 3.x will, according to Jolla's blog, bring android improvements, but they can't say much yet. (probably NDAs with the various companies they are investigating).

In general :
- Out of the box, the phone is pretty much naked (on purpose, to be light and minimalist)
- On the official Jolla store, you can quickly find a couple of official Jolla application covering most of the basic needs.
- There's a community of 3rd parties devs, spread between the official Jolla app shop and mostly OpenRepos as a 3rd party repo.
- It's a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood. You can pretty much do anything.
- Sometimes, it might require some efforts (tracking the best 3rd party app from some community dev on a 3rd party repo).
- Sometimes, it might require getting your hands dirty and eventually type a few stuff on the command line (SSH or fingerterm).

(Still:
- check if that stupid android app that you bank *absolutely insist you have to use* in order to log works (or public transportation e-ticket, etc.) Some are outright available on the sailfish aptoid, some require installing Google Services, some might even require an additional java library)
Hi, I have a sim card with IP public assigned to it, I was trying to connect through ssh but I have no luck, still new on Linux, I changed in developer mode the private IP to public IP and still doesn't work, how I can make it work?

Enviado desde mi H3123 mediante Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
I'd be using a Xperia, which should have the right hardware. I recall reading somewhere that the original N900 radio app also works?
the jolla provided media player does FM Radio as well, but at the moment the FM Radio on the Xperia X is unsupported on sailfish.

I can do command line, but will need some kind of driver on the host side to communicate with the Xperia's modem to dial out. Given my current circumstances, lack of wired tethering may be a hard stop. I didn't completely understand your "Dev mode" explanation. Would this let me use the modem?
You can do usb tethering if you want, it involves installing a bunch of packages but thats about it. I think most people just use wifi hotspot.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post: