Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
If it is for your daughter and you have no intention of running Sailfish on it, rather stay away from Xperia. They are mostly junk devices that are over-priced and have potato cameras.
Thanks for the heads-up on the camera. I naively assumed that Sonys should have decent cameras. They boast quite impressive MPs.

I held their phones and they did not feel any bulkier than anything else on the market these days. It is a real shame that 4.5" is now referred to as "compact". What has the world come to? I like the waterproof feature on some of them and I like the square corners but my daughter does not, so Xperias are out. At least the new ones, I may still consider a Z1 and flash a new Android on it

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
My Blackberry doesn't blink if you remove and replace a sim or microsd while it's running.
Neither does my Xperia X with SFOS 2.1.3

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2017 @ Finland
Hello everybody I'm new in here maemo.org forum, and I'm very interest this Sailfish operating system.

So now I'm planning to install sailfish x to my xperia x single sim device, but before I install it I have some questions for you.

Before I asked these questions I read some pages of this thread.

So how about warranty, I just recently bought the phone and I understand that when I flash sailfish to the phone nevertheless, I have the right to warranty service.

In short warranty process is little bit complicated to claim. Am I right?

Second question:

I noticed the xperia x camera overheats (default camera app) and even shutsdown camera when I recorded approximately ten minutes 1080p 60fps clip. I read that many users have same "feature" so I asking this community does you have same feature and do I need to worry about it in Sailfish installation?

Third question:

Does sailfish x supports ota updates or will I need to manually flash new image?

Fourth and last:

Does Sailfish x support the modern sd cards standards like Uhs and application performance class like Android version of sony?

hopefully you will understand my question. If someone were bothered to answer my questions, I would be really grateful!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Korkkiruuvi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Korkkiruuvi View Post
So how about warranty, I just recently bought the phone and I understand that when I flash sailfish to the phone nevertheless, I have the right to warranty service. In short warranty process is little bit complicated to claim?

Third question

Does sailfish x supports ota updates or will I need to manually flash new image?
Provided you can restore DRM keys with factory Android image there shouldn't be a problem, otherwise charges would probably be incurred.

You will get OTA updates for 1 yr after purchasing SailfishX image.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
You will get OTA updates for 1 yr after purchasing SailfishX image.
Not quite. You will receive device-specific OTA updates for 1 year. General SailfishOS OTA updates will be perpetual, at least that's what I have understood.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jameson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It is a real shame that 4.5" is now referred to as "compact".
Things change, behavior changes, demand changes.
Some years ago we had featurephones with greyscale, low resolution displays, nowadays smartphones are as powerful as mobile computers 15 years ago, hence the (small) changes in size and features.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
H
In short warranty process is little bit complicated to claim. Am I right?
Depends.
If you follow these instruction before unlocking the bootloader you can save your TA partition with the DRM keys.
With that, whenever you want to return the phone to the manufacturer, you can reflash the original sony firmware and TA partition, and the phone will be in the exact same shape as when you took it out of the box, so nobody could ever cause problems because of the Sailfish X installation.

If you don't, it depends on how are the consumer rights in your region. (Sony says that they might charge you extra in case of an unlocked phone, but I'm sure the claim isn't valid everywhere in Europe).

I noticed the xperia x camera overheats (default camera app) and even shutsdown camera when I recorded approximately ten minutes 1080p 60fps clip.
Please note that Android on Xperia X uses a special custom proprietary photo application (that's what is protected by the DRM keys inside the TA partition).

Sailfish X uses the stock SFOS photo app (which currently is a little bit less good at focusing.

Sailfish OS in general uses YUM repositories with RPM files. You should be able to upgrade seamlessly in the future.

Does Sailfish x support the modern sd cards standards like Uhs and application performance class like Android version of sony?
Two things regarding cards :

- SD cards above 64 are sold preformatted as exFAT instead of FAT32 (i.e.: they are SDXC instead of SDHC), so you'll need to reformat them into something that isn't patented (current version of Sailfish X has support for UDF, for F2FS and for EXT4 among the interesting formats. But currently BTRFS isn't enabled unlike older Jolla phone). Or you'll need to procure your own FUSE exFAT driver (look on openrepos.net)

- The kernel currently used by Sailfish X is directly lifted from a slightly older version of Sony's Android (6.0.1 Mashmallow, instead of the current 7.1.1 Nougat).
So the SD card performance aren't exactly on par with the (current) Android:

Among other, some SD aren't noticed at all by the older kernel.
It's a bug which has been corrected sometime between the older 3.10.84 kernel used currently by Sailfish X and the more recent 3.10.100~ kernel used by current Sony Android.
So Sailfish X is currently affected, but the latest OTA of Android isn't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Things change, behavior changes, demand changes
...choice is taken away.

A massive screen may be for you but not everyone is you. There are customers who want smaller screens. I lined up the N900 (3.5"), N9 (4"), Jolla (4.5") and all the tablets found around the house (7", 8" and 10") before my daughter and she picked the N9 size, but conceded that a Jolla size would do if smaller is not available. I will have to disappoint her. My wife, father, sister, niece and all my colleagues I spoke to on the topic also bemoaned the size of what is on offer. You will never convince me that manufacturers "respond to demand". They simply do not give you the choice.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2017 @ Finland
DrYak and aspergerguy thanks for nice answers!

I got few questions still:

1. How about jolla or community make to sailfish x use 4k resolution option in default cam app or making new native app. I tested that 4k resolution option in opencamera called app in play store and it's works well.

So I can at least download it for sailfish and hopes it works on sailfish.

I think Sony's overheat message is ******** and I can record video even 4k so long as I got space...

2. Oh so there is no software limitation for Uhs standard, only kernel affect. That's nice for sailfish it can be as fast as android.

Now I know it's not waste of money to purchase Uhs marked sd card for my xperia.

Btw anybody tested 256gb sd card in xperia x?

Sorry I'm pretty ignorant details of phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Korkkiruuvi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
2. Oh so there is no software limitation for Uhs standard, only kernel affect. That's nice for sailfish it can be as fast as android.

Now I know it's not waste of money to purchase Uhs marked sd card for my xperia.
Did some tests with a microSDXC Transcend Ultimate 633x 64GB card : UHS3, the read speed seem to top around ~50 MB/s.

It's not as fast as the advetised max speed of the device (~80 MB/s)
Nor as fast as the internal eMMC flash (> ~200MB/s)

But it goes beyond the non-UHS base class speeds (e.g.: Jolla1 didn't support UHS on its card slot and the same SDXC card topped at ~20MB/s)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x