Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by object View Post
It's worth playing, but not worth using. UIs are half done or less, comparing to Maemo. It looks good, anyway, kinda, I think. I was thinking of making a video, but.. it looks more like a disappointment at this state. Daily use? I'd pick a T68 instead.
Functionality first.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
And indeed already now some functionality surpasses that of Maemo. For example screen rotation in terms of speed and apps adjusting to it. Even on class 4 microSDcards its really impressive.

MeeGo DE is coming out with GoogleCal support out of the box, something that is stillso and so on Maemo.

I think MeeGo DE shows great promise already now.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ India
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Functionality first.
i am not so good at all these programing stuff as i am a biologist...still i gave a try to meego DE after going through all the posts and topics..
i found the ui intresting..
i would like to report some of the stuffs i missed to see in it
1.i tried phone call,it works. but incoming very low volume for it, i got into settings and i saw wallpaper theme and sounds...but inside the personalisation option there is no sounds option.
2.appling the preinstalled theme meego dont contrast,and hence writtings are not seen.
3.when the switch off/on button pressed nothing sprouts out as it is in maemo.
4.xterminal doesnt respond to root or any other commands given in maemo xterm.
5.no status bar; hence no easy access to profile, bluetooth and others as provided in maemo.
6. bluetooth device not found even though it is on and is visible.
7.keybord doesnt light up. that really is annoying..
over all i will rate meego DE as 2.5 out of 5..it has a future..but still there are things to be worked on.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thashku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by thashku View Post
i am not so good at all these programing stuff as i am a biologist...still i gave a try to meego DE after going through all the posts and topics..
1.i tried phone call,it works. but incoming very low volume for it, i got into settings and i saw wallpaper theme and sounds...but inside the personalisation option there is no sounds option.
2.appling the preinstalled theme meego dont contrast,and hence writtings are not seen.
5.no status bar; hence no easy access to profile, bluetooth and others as provided in maemo.
over all i will rate meego DE as 2.5 out of 5..it has a future..but still there are things to be worked on.
Thank you - can you report all these on bugs.meego.com - prefix with [DE] ?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by thashku View Post
I am not a programmer and not a user of meego but I find your observations very useful. I am sure those that are fervently working on this fine piece will find your comments useful.

This is how TMO community should be.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by keithzg View Post
The speed of the microSDHC card used surely has a fair amount to do with speed as well. I've been eying the Patriot LX series Class 10 cards; they're fairly cheap ($22 CDN for 8GB). Has anyone tried different cards on the DE and noticed any improvement and/or any particularly decent cards?

Sadly the "class" rating is based on speed measurements that don't really correspond to the kind of random access of an OS running on such a card, so it's only a rough estimation of *probably* how fast the microSDHC cards would be for a MeeGo install.
I have two CL10 cards in use with the phone, one from A-data and one from Patriot. Neither of them gives even near acceptable loading times. If the responsiveness of the GUI is so dependent on the storage, I guess the best solution is to install MeeGo on the eMMC.

I am much impressed by the result so far, but not so impressed that I can let the DE edition replace my normal phone.

Contributing, then. Jeez, where to start ? There is so much to do. Important apps are needed then there is internationalization, responsiveness, like many others have already reported.

Nevertheless, I do not think that the CL10 cards make a big difference.

//

Originally Posted by bekkra View Post
I have two CL10 cards in use with the phone, one from A-data and one from Patriot. Neither of them gives even near acceptable loading times. If the responsiveness of the GUI is so dependent on the storage, I guess the best solution is to install MeeGo on the eMMC.

I am much impressed by the result so far, but not so impressed that I can let the DE edition replace my normal phone.

Contributing, then. Jeez, where to start ? There is so much to do. Important apps are needed then there is internationalization, responsiveness, like many others have already reported.

Nevertheless, I do not think that the CL10 cards make a big difference.

//
isnt emmc more or less class 6 speeds? i know it is slightly different in things like random writes vs sequential, yadda yadda, but i remember reading it somewhere (meego test reports?) and was surprised how slow n900 emmc was rated

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
I have now played with the SF release for some time already.
Not as a daily use but some hours a day.
Also I have upgraded it every day with zypper using enabled repositories - is it a correct way or is it better to install a fresh daily image as they appear?
Some remarks in addition to known problems on the basis of yesterdays zypper update:
1. It is very easy to miss a call - probably due to lack of performance.
2. top reports that about 80% of CPU power is idle after power-up. From that X takes 10%. In comparison - maemo has 95% idle in the same conditions.
3. vkb does not appear at all
4. e-mail application is missing but is startable from the command line. It is possible to create an account and send&receive messages, but only inbox folder is shown - no sent etc.
5. kasvopus is started in full screen and I did not find a way to get out of it - had to reboot
6. in picture viewer it is impossible to scroll to the bottom row of thumbnails - they are hiding as soon as the finger is released from the screen.
7. it puts time 3 hours back - it seems to assume that the device is running UTC without time zone&DST (Europe/Tallinn here)
8. Opera is quite usable

And many thaks to the N900 meego DE team for their efforts

The Following User Says Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
isnt emmc more or less class 6 speeds? i know it is slightly different in things like random writes vs sequential, yadda yadda, but i remember reading it somewhere (meego test reports?) and was surprised how slow n900 emmc was rated
You can make a simple test to get a hunch on how various cards behave.
Code:
time dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null bs=4096 count=20480
time dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 of=/dev/null bs=4096 count=20480
This tells you almost nothing, but it works for getting an idea. On my system, the eMMC has roughly twice the speed as the CL10 cards that I have tested. The difference is naturally even more pronounced for writes.

So yes, the eMMC should still perform best.

//

Last edited by bekkra; 2011-05-31 at 15:51.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
There is a nice benchmark thread at http://whrl.pl/Rcx9Jw Class ratings are for sequential I/0 speeds.
Bottom line is that new cards are great for this (camera use) but horrible for random access. Older class 2/4 beat newer cards by a large margin.

Last edited by GreatGonzo; 2011-05-31 at 23:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreatGonzo For This Useful Post: