Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
This is the first time I ran into this term "cognitive load" describing the ease-of-learning for a given UI. All the things consultants are inventing, not bad
Ha, you don't know nothing! I assume you've heard about "usability". My other half, a technical writer by profession, attended some conference back in 2006 or 2007 and the buzzword at that conference was... "discoverability"! Just invented by Microsoft. I kid you not!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nokia Lumia 928 lags behind iPhone 5 screen latency as well...

You know, I had a Nokia Lumia 900 that my wife took over. Then she upgraded to the Nokia Lumia 520 - a dual core lower-level phone that actually works quite well. For her uses, it's great. She needs to read some e-mails, make a few calls and love how simple it is.

I couldn't convince her to get an Android phone. She tried Apple and found it too "lacking" in what she wanted but could appreciate the workflow. She tried BlackBerry 10 (my Z10) and found an user glitch that isn't fixed as of 10.2 - you have to tap into the screen in order to activate the back/cancel button when you drill down/search via the Hub.

I find WP8 restricting. She loves it. I find Apple iOS7 actually not bad - it's got a lot of Android Jelly Bean features that I like, such as the notification center and the control center quite a bit.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don’t know about WP8, never used one.
Me neither, because my WinCE Lumia 800 isn't upgradeable.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
This "study" really is ridiculous & insufficient. Nicely presented but without any usable content. But well, can be used to bother some Windows people...why not.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
She tried BlackBerry 10 (my Z10) and found an user glitch that isn't fixed as of 10.2 - you have to tap into the screen in order to activate the back/cancel button when you drill down/search via the Hub.
Z10 has a lot of usability glitches, like not dismissing missed call notifications from the hub (you have to open the phone app), firing notifications from the running app and flashing the led until you go to the hub ("skype has signed in". I KNOW! Skype is the active application!), inconsistent behavior in slideout menus, not dismissing sms notifications unless you click back to go back to hub, stupid two-step notifications etc.

For the specific glitch though you can just swipe right and it goes back (the mere existence of the back button makes this gesture undiscoverable (I know, I know) but it's there.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I am a true American ***. No reason to deny it.
http://youtu.be/NrjbeE90vVY

Originally Posted by almamo View Post
This "study" really is ridiculous & insufficient. Nicely presented but without any usable content. But well, can be used to bother some Windows people...why not.
Good luck finding them. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
However, I'd like to point out that low cognitive load, meaning it's intuitive to learn might also mean it's inflexible and frustrating later when you get to use it a lot -> synonymous to not good for power-users
I wouldn't say synonymous to - just, correlative with.

You can have the basic use-cases made very intuitive, and leave the other stuff harder to figure out. Unfortunately, in a 'study' like this, the 'other stuff' would end up being counted against the OS' usability factor.

Now I think we all know that the methodology of this 'study' could probably have books written just criticizing the flaws, but here's something I found really indicative of the fact that they are not fit to evaluate user experience from the perspective of new users:

No-where in their "UXF" ratings details, does one find mention of how on Android, first-time users might think that deleting an app icon from the home screens means you deleted it from the phone. I've witnessed first-hand the less computer savvy of users say/think just that (much like folks on desktops sometimes think that deleting the desktop shortcut deletes the program itself).

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
NokiaPhone is the best OS I ever have used