Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
So lets hunt the guy that owns meego.org down and take his domain to continue our TMO forum!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
So lets hunt the guy that owns meego.org down and take his domain to continue our TMO forum!
You hold 'em, I'll take his wallet!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You hold 'em, I'll take his wallet!
If he had a soul we could sell it a eBay!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Drop his pants and open source it!
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I've always enjoyed the interaction here, and I believe some of the best programs were written by developers here who maintained an active presence in the forums and had active threads going on their projects.

It seems some of the biggest developer complaints are time "wasted" addressing complaints, questions, difficulty reading through threads due "off-topic" posts, that kind of stuff.

If MeeGo tries to keep their forums "on-topic" (development only) they'll be missing out on a lot of valuable input. Some non-developers who could provide excellent input may be turned off by the sterile, "coldness" of the forums.

I think they want to try to keep it MeeGo development only, and rely on the manufacturers to support their own devices. However, I think they really need a place where interested people can congregate and discuss MeeGo in a generic way, discuss programs that run on multiple platforms running MeeGo, etc. It would help to generate interest in MeeGo while there are few (or no) devices running it, instead of splitting interest over multiple websites.

Personally, I'd try a couple different things (if they are even possible).

1) a "developers only" forum, that you have to apply for (or be recommended for) admission.
Regular forums for interested people, so developers can get feedback, and a place where developers can retreat to for more technical discussion

2) a "developer" tag for members.
Make it possible to get notified when a thread has been commented on by another "developer" and an option to only show posts by developers (thread based, maybe even forum based). That would help cut down on "noise".

3) A moderation system to remove developer status from people who abuse the privilege.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on

Perhaps silence from certain folks isn't such a bad thing after all.

Tags
goodbye nokia, meego.com blows, tmo 'til i die, winding down