Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
That may not be possible due to apps on other platforms expecting more RAM to be available.
i dont think running normal apps one at a time can be a problem..

Some of the proposed programs can be easily (and comfortably - without major slowdowns) run via EasyDebian. For example, I use LibreOffice suite daily. Sure, not exactly the kind of "native" (although, technically, native indeed - without any emulation) that people think of everyday, but still works and is better than nothing.

As for propositions - it would be nice if someone could pick up development of Orecchiette - Maemo is really in need of good, reliable recprding program, that can record calls automatically.

/Estel

//Edit
Haven't included idea on etherpad, as it's not working well with microB (which, BTW, is the case with absolute minority of pages - most are working surprisingly well with our aged browser, so shame on mozilla).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-03-11 at 10:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Soulaxe View Post
A faster browser capable of modern software.
I haven't used it but why not port the Sailfish browser?

https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Don't want to ruin the party, but a key ingredient is m.i.a. in this thread: developers...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by _David_ View Post
I haven't used it but why not port the Sailfish browser?

https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser
I was porting some of the code into my microb replacement (29.0a1 with qt ui). Due to dropped support for qt4 in embedlite its on hold at the moment. Hope to eventually port to qt5 at some stage but it will need to use qml as dev said support for widgets was going as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Krasnodar, Russia
1. I'd love to see Recaller not so buggy. It worked for me untill some change in CSSU, IIRC. I love it for no need to be opened for recording phone calls like say Orcchiette. Also it is much faster to press a button on the desktop, rather to open an app and press button there.

2. I desperately need a working MessageBlocker app. I'm so tires of SMS spam. Since v0.3 this app doesn't block anything.

3. You say we don't need another watsapp client, but I don't see a working libpurple version. I think having all messaging protocols in one place is a good idea. It could be just a messaging client without file or photo interchanging or anything else telepathy doesn't support. The same is for new google hangouts.

Last edited by dvb; 2014-03-12 at 01:49.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
@Estel,dvb: And don't we have myDicto for recording? It serves me really great - it provides such a good quality that you can even record gigs with it

@pichlo,Android_808,panjgoori,anyone who hasn't: Please add your posts to the pad

We won't have any Sailfish apps as we'd need Wayland. And if we had Wayland we'd need to rewrite most of UI to support Wayland. And even if we rebuilt the open source Sailfish apps, Silica isn't open source. So not now...

@ade: I was tempted too create a thread "How to resurrect Maemo" which would imply brainstorming how to motivate devs, but I decided it's better to find out what we need first, and then handle it appropriately

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland
"I was tempted to create a thread "How to resurrect Maemo" which would imply brainstorming how to motivate devs, but I decided it's better to find out what we need first, and then handle it appropriately" by marmistrz

Salient point here, neo900 gone very quiet and most recent posts are Jolla related. Sadly the n900 has been relegated to second place here, on it's home patch! This observation coming from a relative "tourist" as opposed to the "core members" posting here...

Last edited by burwat292596; 2014-03-13 at 19:12.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
@ade: I was tempted too create a thread "How to resurrect Maemo" which would imply brainstorming how to motivate devs, but I decided it's better to find out what we need first, and then handle it appropriately
True. The neo900 is key to this IMO and indeed without a resurrection, the neo900 experience would be a poorer one. Yes, there are working OS telephony stacks but the OS telephony integration of maemo is special, warts 'n all.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ India
I think below are the application which can be really useful:

1. A decent lightweight browser.
2. Better mail client, which doesn't slow down N900 but work in background.
3. Some app to stop draining battery (put internet connection on sleep maybe) when connected to internet but only used by conversation plugin. (I have to always off internet to save bat which doesn't let me be online for much longer on N900)
4. If possible skydrive (onedrive) client cos it provide more storage and also it doesn't have server down issue like ubuntu one have (for me).
5. Application like easyanswer is there for harmattan (least required).
6. Any shortcut to close all open tasks maybe in power menu (least required).
7. Phone app should show call duration info so we don't need to go to extended call log for just that (least required).

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kraker_abhy For This Useful Post: