foobar, to fix your problem properly, *don't* set R&D mode. You only need to set R&D flag power_button (or somethikng like that, see wikki for instructions, if by some accident, it [wiki] actually works). R&D mode itself is different beats - enabling R&D mide doesn't necessary mean enabling power_button flag, AIUI. Also, setting power_button flag *only*, you won't get other "feats" of R&D mode, like keyboard backlight flickering on activity, etc.

For sake of completeness, posting my post from other thread:

Originally Posted by Siren
[1]
I, for one, would be very interested, to find reason for it. Checked device zillion times, hardware and software wise, yet still have no idea, what is causing this. One thing that I'm sure, though, is that it started to happen just after soldering down USB port.

OTOH, initially, only side-effect was device turning on, when battery inserted. Over time, it entered act_dead on power button boot, from time to time. It went worse over time, resulting in false charging act_dead on every boot, requiring countless battery removal and insertions + attempts to hit power button super-fast, to boot without charger.

Setting mentioned R&D flag "fixed" it, without any ill side effects. Only one thing to consider is, that now, when device is off and you plug charger in, N900 will turn itself ON, instead of entering charging act_dead. Also, you won't ever see "building up" light of diode, when you push power button - device turns on instantly. Benefits of being able to turn device ON without charger overweight those small changes in habits, still.

Vanilla alarms are working fine, though even when device is turned off.

I hope, that it's going to help with sandboxing, where replacement alarm-ui acts differently than stock one.
As for internal battery, someone found a reason for its failing in kernel - in fact, it seems, that it was never recharged, as it should. Thats why most of them are dead after ~1 year. AFAIK it is fixed in kernel-power, but it won't revive batteries, that are already dead (most of them leaked a little) - you need to replace them, by some simple (easier than soldering down usb port) soldering. Replacement one should life "indefinitely", if using kernel-power.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Siren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Siren View Post
As for internal battery, someone found a reason for its failing in kernel - in fact, it seems, that it was never recharged, as it should. Thats why most of them are dead after ~1 year. AFAIK it is fixed in kernel-power, but it won't revive batteries, that are already dead (most of them leaked a little) - you need to replace them, by some simple (easier than soldering down usb port) soldering. Replacement one should life "indefinitely", if using kernel-power.
Where/who is the source of this? I did not even heard of this until now So people having used kp from the early beginning may still have intact internal battery?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Backup battery charging is enabled by NOLO, not by the kernel

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post

2. If you take out the battery while not really off, but ACTDEAD, it could be that reinsterting the battery makes it boot automatically (e.g. so that you don't miss an alarm!).
To me happened a couple of times and probably that's the reason; no thumb, no bricking, anyway happened while extracting and reinserting my backup battery.

Last edited by enne30; 2012-11-27 at 12:57.

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
i've had this for quite a while now. It also asks me to set the time and locale settings each time after swapping he battery, just like fresh from the factory. That specifically I'd like to go away.
aside from internal battery problems: maybe you already know it, anyway you have to be VERY fast switching batteries ( < 1,5 sec); I use to put my backup battery over the inserted one and do the trick in less than 1 sec...

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Is there an easy way to check the internal battery?