Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Not that Linux is going away or fell on its face or <insert any other wrong statement here>. Seriously... pull back, re-read what's going on, and you'll see that the problem is nowhere near where you're concentrating.

It's a huge problem, and you're just kilometers/miles away in your questions and concerns.
Summary: abill_uk in his usual role: knowing jack sh*t, talking hot air en masse.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-08-03 at 16:29.

Please people, let's keep this on-topic and stop feeding the trolls (even if Hanlon's razor applies).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
According to: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/members :
Linux foundation members:
Platinum:
  • Fujitsu
  • Hitachi
  • IBM
  • Intel
  • NEC
  • Oracle
  • Qualcomm (QUIC)

Gold:
  • AMD
  • China Mobile
  • Cisco
  • Etri
  • Google
  • HP
  • Motorola
  • NetAPP
  • Nokia
  • Novell
  • Panasonic
  • Toyota

Silver:
skipped

Members of the Linux Foundation support the neutral development, promotion and protection of the platform with their membership fees. By becoming a corporate or individual member, you can proudly say you support these activities:
  • Employing key Linux fellows, including Linus Torvalds, to ensure they can focus 100% of their attention on maintaining and furthering the Linux platform
  • Administering and defending the Linux trademark to protect the investment in the brand “Linux”
  • Facilitating crucial administrative, technical and legal functions for the Kernel developer community to enable them to continue to advance the platform
  • Serving as the neutral voice for Linux with press and analysts to ensure that Linux is defended against competitor threats and remains a successful, thriving and growing operating system
  • Increasing the number of applications on the Linux platform through its developer services
  • Serving as a proxy between the community, industry and end users to ensure everyone’s needs are best understood and that collaboration solutions are optimized
  • Holding neutral collaboration and legal events to ensure the platform is advanced and protected
  • Providing a neutral forum for technical collaboration and standardization
This remainds me of ISO committees. It's there to facilitate open international standards, but over the time the organisation was infested with big corporations and interest groups. They pay big money for sitting in the committees which work on standards, vote on the them and publish them.

This kind of system allows members to influence standars and maintain awareness of developments.

Is there any place for community there?
NO

This kind of organization is not for small companies or communities.

The decision is not surprising, all of the members have significant patent portfolios and long history of patent fights.

Do they want community?
NO, their goal is to marginalise organisations such as FSF.

My guess is that several of the for-mentioned entities have created informal interest group which has pushed this decision.

Similar things happened in past with OASIS standard.

Think about entrusting wolves with the well being of a sheep.

Meee, Meeee.....

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-03 at 16:48.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
By the way, folks, if there's someone whose frequent posts bother you, and who doesn't seem to contribute to any of the threads that they post in, you can click on their name, choose "View public profile", click on the "user lists" drop-down, and choose "add to ignore list". This makes all the posts by that user turn into little one sentence blurbs: "This message is hidden because username is on your ignore list."

I only wish this option would hide any posts that quote or refer to that person, as well. Sadly, you still have to skip over all of the gluttons for punishment who try to talk sense into the person that you've ignored.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
just read thru the whole thread and i think gerbick pretty much summed it up in his previous two posts;
what i would like to add, which strikes me as important, is the fact that MeeGo or Maemo for that matter can't be compared with a traditional Linux / GNU distro because it / they are / were driven by a hardware vendor.

this will never work
period.
Intel may be a better option in that they don't manufacture devices themselves but only components.
it comes closer to the Android situation where Google doesn't care about royalties but sells Adword clicks.

i wonder in how far NOKIA will in fact stop founding maemo.org after 2012.
did they ever provide founds for more then a year at a time?

another MeeGo device ?

true, right now NOKIA sounds all wp and that's what Elop has been hired for.
that doesn't mean they do not keep doing other things in parallel. standing behind formeego.com/org or continued founding for maemo.org seem to hint at a dedicated NOKIA that supports it products.

open sourcing drivers?
this isn't NOKIA's battle.
it's TI's fight, if they want to fight it and obviously, TI has chosen not to open source their code.
just like NVidia is NOT open sourcing but providing binaries for nearly any platform one can name.
even supporting old GPUs with binaries of old drivers that are kept up to date to the current kernel version.

nVidia – The new MeeGo Battle Ground

you wouldn't be able to run any (ANY) Linux / GNU distro on an Alienware if you were depending on Dell to provide drivers.

hoping for the best...
so, what about planning for the worst?
well, obviously Intel isn't keen on an open source software market.
forums are great (& cheap) to support "geeks" (or even Dad or Mom who are playing around with... Smeegol on an old lappy during the week-end.)
to compete with fruits & Co., you need something more serious. sorry

EDIT: LF? well, the open source (reverse engineered) drivers that come with the kernel are worth... well, whatever they are worth
LF doesn't provide any proprietary code in the kernel. like i said before, it is up to NVidia, AMD/ATI, Broadcom and the like to either make the source code available or provide binaries for their hw.
openSUSE or Fedora are good examples of Linux / GNU distro that work because they are backed by SW / service companies that benefit from the open community contribution (SuSE / Novell respectively RedHat) and thus provide "hosting" and infrastructure.
DebIan is the notable exception of a distro that is totally independent.
maybe an inspiration for MeeGo / Maemo future?

Last edited by misterc; 2011-08-03 at 17:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Sadly, you still have to skip over all of the gluttons for punishment who try to talk sense into the person that you've ignored.
That is a side-channel attack.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
That is a side-channel attack.
Yes and after nearly 2 years to end up with a mess it gets very boring and tiring.

Nothing new nothing moves forward only talk talk talk and no action.

This community could have been something not like it is now BORING.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Yes and after nearly 2 years to end up with a mess it gets very boring and tiring.

Nothing new nothing moves forward only talk talk talk and no action.

This community could have been something not like it is now BORING.
Actually I've referred to the "leakage" of the ignored information, when somebody replies with quoted text, so ignoring becomes useless.

Actually I've referred to the "leakage" of the ignored information, when somebody replies with quoted text, so ignoring becomes useless.
is it so difficult to read the author of the post & decide to skip the post altogether?
need an automatic gearbox & airco for everything, right?
automatic steering, maybe, too?
automatic updates, like m$?
automatic forums? sure...

i don't think abill was refering to the ignore feature.
(he uses it)
rather suspect he was disappointed by posters branding TROLL all over the place without ever addressing the issue of the post(s).
namely the deafening silence of the Council.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
We are the last to find out anything untill somebody let's it loose.

All this thread is about is yet another problem to stop what this community should be about, progress.

It is all wrong from start to finish because all anyone wants is a working progressive mobile device, not something you pay 600 quid for to be completely forgotten about in the space of less than a year by it's manufacturer.

All this nonsence is is just another step back from reality to give more.... talk talk talk.

Linux , Maemo and MeeGo are not going anywhere right now because of legal situations that keep cropping up.

Nokia have made us all suffer at the end of the day by pulling the plug on just about everyone.

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down