Posts: 30 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Bologna (Italy)
Randall Arnold write about Gary: A Community Heart.

Link: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...mmunity-heart/
External keyboard: Nokia SU-8W

My NIT experience: Since 5/2008

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to monoceros For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Texrat your just the kind of guy that can carry his spirit on within this community.

Thankyou for such kind and lovely words for your friend, he truly deserves them.

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...mmunity-heart/

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
I was saddened to hear the news of the loss of Gary and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Like a lot of people here I mainly knew him from his posts online, and meeting at events like Berlin and Amsterdam. Last seeing him for a few social beers in London before a bar camp he was attending. I was looking forward to seeing him in Cambridge sometime soon.

He was the type of person that it would be hard not to like, enthusiastic, kind, honestly self-depreciating. So much so -- he was actually surprised at the level of support he got from the community that allowed him to attend Amsterdam.

I originally met him at Berlin by speaking in the same block of lightening talks. Though he was so focused; so caught up in the moment, so enthused that faces in the audience were just a blur. I had to re-introduce myself after -- when he asked if I had caught his talk and I explained that well 'yes I was holding the mic (for you)'.

Truth is; the most anyone can hope for in this world, is to be loved and missed, and he is.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to tonypercy For This Useful Post:
goodbye Gary......i never knew him but from the work i saw him produce and his postings around the internet, it is a great loss.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Antarctica
I'd never met Gary, but his positivity around this community left an impression. He will be deeply missed.

My condolences for his family and loved ones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chris_r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
I never met Gary, and I don't think I ever interacted with him here in the community. That is my misfortune, as it sounds like he was wonderful person to know. My heart goes out to his loved ones and all of you who have lost a dear friend.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparkyERTW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Gary's family have sorted details of the funeral. It will be on Thursday of this week, the 22nd, at 10:30 at Oldham Crematorium. If there is anyone near enough to represent us, that would be great. Sadly, I'm too far away.

They have requested family flowers only, so I won't send any from us. Donations in lieu of flowers are being made to Calder Valley Search and Rescue or Kingfisher Community Special School (Jake's school). If you'd like to send money, cheques in sterling made payable to the charity can be sent to the funeral director.

J Dyson Funeral Director
313 Wash Brook
Chadderton
Oldham
OL9 8JL

The Search and Rescue have a website where you can donate: http://www.cvsrt.org.uk/index.php. If you want to donate to the School, either send a cheque or use Tracy's paypal.

Tracy tells me that she's sorted out a new bank account linked to the paypal account at liqbase (http://liqbase.net/) so donations can be made there. Equally, anyone wanting to send money for Tracy and the boys can do so there too - just indicate when you make your donation.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2011-09-19 at 16:41.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
I am speechless......I don't know why but I got paralyzed by the shock I felt when I was reading this article. I do not know Garry (Lcuk) personally, but his work and dedication bonds me to him. To all lcuk has left, my deepest sympathy is within you. He may not be with us physically, but his works will remain absolute!

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Thoughts and prayers (from those here who pray) go to Tracy and the boys this morning. The funeral is at 10:30am, and that will be extremely tough.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Rest assured, Kathy, that even those like me who do not pray will be thankful for the words of hope and consolation of a Reverend they respect. Thanks for your involvement in our communities, btw.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect