Notices

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
I have uploaded a little application that I made last week into extra-devel. It is a simple RSS Reader. This is my first software released in such a way, so I'd be very interested in having some feedback as far as packaging, and if it installs successfully, in particular in regards to the dependencies, on a fresh n900.

As far as the software itself, I think it is fairly usable now. Its main feature is portrait mode support (thanks to thp!). The main thing I want to fix next is that it somewhat locks up the UI when downloading/updating feeds.

The project garage page is at https://garage.maemo.org/projects/feedingit/ if you'd like to report any bugs or improvements.

Update: 0.5.4-3 version is now in Extras with lots of improvements in usability (such as image caching, automatic updates...)

Update: Now available for Harmattan: http://store.ovi.com/content/227782

Last edited by Slocan; 2011-12-17 at 03:21.

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Hi, just tested it and think this is a pretty nice start. Actually I am/was planing to write an rss-reader myself and the UI you are using in FeedingIt is pretty much what I would have done. It Installed nicely on my N900 and is mostly working as it should. Some Improvement suggestions:

* Fixing the UI Hang would be really nice
* Some Labels for what is what in the "Add Feed" Dialog (I used URL and Label the wrong way at the first try)
* Updating individual Feeds doesn't seem to work
* Adding an application Icon would be nice (the blue square is not that nice ^^)

And some "nice to have" features (maybe some aren't that easy to do):
* Way to sort/move the feeds for individual order
* Subfolders/Categories (usefull for people with lots of feeds)
* Load and display images in HTML-Feed entries

So much for my feedback, I'll keep an eye on the project, even the way it is now with the basic features is more useable than the built-in reader (yay portrait mode!!)
Thanks for your work ^^

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The Following User Says Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by seiichiro0185 View Post
Hi, just tested it and think this is a pretty nice start.
Thanks, it is very much appreciated.

* Fixing the UI Hang would be really nice
* Some Labels for what is what in the "Add Feed" Dialog (I used URL and Label the wrong way at the first try)
* Updating individual Feeds doesn't seem to work
* Adding an application Icon would be nice (the blue square is not that nice ^^)
The UI hang fix is definitely coming up, and I'll clean up the "Add Feed" dialog, I'm not very satisfied with the way it feels.
As for the icon, it does have one (a very unexciting one, I admit). I noticed on new installation, the icon cache takes a bit to update, so maybe it'll show up for you at some point. But maybe I did it wrong, I'll try to see if that can be improved.

* Way to sort/move the feeds for individual order
* Subfolders/Categories (useful for people with lots of feeds)
* Load and display images in HTML-Feed entries
Good ideas, I'll definitely look into those later on.
You can load the HTML images in the menu of the article "Display Images". I debated whether to do it automatically or not. If that doesn't work, it might be feed specific, in which case I'd be interested to know which.

Thanks again for the feedback!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
You're right, didn't notice the image loading option in the articles menu. And it does work for me with the feeds I tried. I think a general setting for loading/not loading on display would be nice for a later version.

The Icon didn't show up so far, although I did reboot once since the install (and I cant seem to find the cli icon-cache update command right now). I noticed that some packages do the icon-cache update on install/uninstall (at least they show a notification that says they do). Maybe something like this would be an option for your package.

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

hello. in the first place i have to tell u that i'm a noob concerning linux and maemo 5. i have a nokia n900 and i can not install this application. it sais that it misses some dependency.
how should i install this application.
thanks a lot....

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bayonne, France
Hello, I'm definitely looking for a good rss application and installed feedingit but I'm not able to make it work. When I run the app, nothing but the title bar appears and when I switch to the application manager, feedingit crashes.
So I flashed my device and reinstalled it but I still can't manage to make it work.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I had missing dependencies for libgtkhtml2-0 and python-gtkhtml2. These can be fixed by running in X Terminal (as root):
Code:
apt-get install libgtkhtml2-0 python-gtkhtml2

i find it. it's in extras-devel.
do you think you can make for it also a widget, that will be awsome.
anyways it is working great.
nice job...

Last edited by alexbitzu; 2010-01-06 at 11:08.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
I like it!

Looks way better that the build in RSS Reader. One feature i would suggest is open up hyperlinks in RSS articles with microb, to get a full featured article

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mason For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bayonne, France
I've finally managed to make it work by installing pygtkeditor. Maybe some missing dependencies...