Notices

You need the "Pro" or some other upgrade to enable GPS. From there I think it only uses serial ports. In another thread I wrote a n810 internal TO bluetooth program (it is in the source archive for minigpsd, but I may have removed it from the binary - n810asgps.sh). If you have GEPro under windows, I think it is HRT that has a "virtual serial port" that could take the data stream (22947 is the raw bidirectional port) to COMx under windows where I think GEPro would see it.

You can adjust the update rate using the Properties for the link (and the various fly-to speeds in the global settings). If you set it to 1/sec and get the height/angle right it should be less jerky.

I think it is by default set to slowly rise to the clouds and descend to the next point and that can take 4 seconds.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Thanks. I cant seem to be able to find any of the programs you listed. Can you please provide links?

Thanks.

GEP = google earth pro, earth.google.com.

HW Virtual Serial Port program (Windows):

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Sorry, I'm a little late coming to minigpsd (0.31h on N810/5.2008.43-7 (no red pill)) and have it working OK with the internal GPS and with Maemo Mapper, but don't see where the KML data is supposed to be going. I've configured "New KML Every" to 5 Min and set "to Folder..." to "/media/mmc2/kmz" but all I find there is an empty directory "100126072030" (YYMMDDetc I guess) but no data.

What am I doing wrong here?

It should have files named after the time (the directory is when it starts).

If the card is full it would be a problem. Also is that what you see when it is running?

Does it work with MaemoMapper completely off (it is possible that MM is grabbing things if you start it first).

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
It should have files named after the time (the directory is when it starts).

If the card is full it would be a problem. Also is that what you see when it is running?
df says /media/mmc2 is only 45% full

Does it work with MaemoMapper completely off (it is possible that MM is grabbing things if you start it first).
I'll have to try this at home where I have WLAN access. Here at work I'm no longer getting a GPS fix, and I suspect it's A-GPS screwing things up because it thinks its cache is invalid, but can't refresh it. Or something. Gah.

It still should create a "prelock.kml" file in the specified directory with the GPS traffic before it gets a lock.

It still should create a "prelock.kml" file in the specified directory with the GPS traffic before it gets a lock.
OK. Now seeing the prlock.kml (and YYMMetc.prlock.kmz) files appearing in my directories.

Not sure why I saw nothing this morning.

Do the files/directories ever get flushed?

Anyway, I'll try heading for home with just minigpsd running and see what happens.

Just for interest, the kml logging from minigpsd should work with Maemo Mapping running too, shouldn't it?

I don't ever delete any file, but I do invoke kml2kmz which zips the file and deletes the original. It is possible that it is missing a library (it requires gzip to work). You can manually remove /usr/bin/kml2kmz and see if you find files (but when minigpsd is running, you should see a .prlock.kml or .current.kml file in the directory).

OK, I'm now home, and I find I have a series of kmz files, which, if i understand Google Earth's reading of them correctly, each contain a more and more complete copy of my journey.

Is that's how it should be?

And from your earlier post, I guess any further housekeeping is up to me, right?

Tags
gps, obd2