Active Topics

Bluetooth:

http://aircable.net/optieyes.html

(or a jpeg to serial plus a bluetooth from sparkfun.com)

The USB might be able to use something like a beagleboard in OTG host mode to act as a network endpoint.

The hackiest way would be just to get a display of sufficient resolution and small size with proper opetics and mount the n900 so the camera is just watching the display - but displaying and recording.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
What do you think? Is there any other way to display video on the N900 from an external source?
You could have one Nokia N900 record and broadcast this over a streaming server to which you connect to with a client which could be another Nokia N900.

However instead of using a Nokia N900 to record and broadcast I think its cheaper to use a Sheevaplug (with USB and Gigabit ethernet), connect a USB (web)cam on it, and let this run your streaming server instead.

Or one of the other options provided above.

Your project might still be cool for e.g. PUSH Nokia!

Turn the n900 into a mimo usb monitor.

Might require some kernel hacking, but the port is there, should be fast enough, and you can "display". Recording would take a bit more.

http://www.mimomonitors.com/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/bfa3/

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
this is neat software if you have a windows box with a tv tuner http://www.orb.com/en/how_it_works

There is also the micro SD card interface. Unless something is really strange, it is a standard SPI interface, though might have a few quirks. And there are things which can do video to SPI.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Brazil
Thank you all for all your input! :-)

allnameswereout, I just submitted my project to the Push N900. ;-) I'm planning a Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) controller, and I want to send live video from an airborne N900 to another one on the ground. You can see a simple mock-up of the idea on this video on YouTube.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
I know it's possible on the software side..but what about hardware?? It's got TV OUT? BUT NO TV IN? hmm
You'll need the optional VCR attachment.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

IF it is possible to get the N900 USB port to function as a USB host controller you could use a device like a DVB-T USB receiver for watching (and recording) TV.

The smallest DVB-T receiver I know of is the new PCTV Picostick:
Picostick DVB-T

I wonder if devices with micro-USB ports exist

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
IF it is possible to get the N900 USB port to function as a USB host controller you could use a device like a DVB-T USB receiver for watching (and recording) TV.

The smallest DVB-T receiver I know of is the new PCTV Picostick:
Picostick DVB-T

I wonder if devices with micro-USB ports exist
1) You still need an external power source (e.g. USB hub).
2) You also need an antenna if you want some kind of good signal.
3) The chipset of this USB stick is unknown; hence its unknown how (well) the Linux support is.

Still, seems like a nice device. Just the price is like 80 EUR. I've seen DVB-T USB sticks for 50 EUR.