Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
People often talk about bad resistive screens. I've had used eight different devices with a resistive screen and only one of them is what I would count as bad.

Here is the list with my subjective "points out of 10" marking:
  • 10/10 - Palm Treo 180. No problems at all.
  • 9/10 - Palm Treo 600. No problems at all until the digitizer died after 5 years of use and had to be replaced.
  • 10/10 - Nokia 5800 WpressMusic. No problems at all.
  • 1/10 - Samsung S8000 Jet. The worst ever. The pressure it required to register a touch was enough to hurt my finger.
  • 6/10 - Some el-cheapo 7" Chinese Android tablet. In all fairness it was not that bad. Possibly deserving 7 points. I am giving it 6 only because the sensitivity was a bit lower than I would expect of a screen of that size and because it came without a stylus.
  • 9/10 - TomTom One. No problems at all. I would hate to think how to use a capacitive touch screen on a portable car navigation system like that.
  • 9/10 - Nokia N900. My only objection is that the pixel density is way too high, meaning some text is too small and difficult to read. No problems with the touch aspect of it.
  • 9/10 - Some el-cheapo Chinese car entertainment system with a 7" screen. Sometimes I forget that it is resistive and I have to actually touch it rather than wave vaguely in front of it and hope. Other than that, no problems at all.

I think Copernicus has hit the nail on the head. Most people asking these questions ask them because they use touch screens on crippled systems that are designed to be operated with fat fingers. Android, iOS and Sailfish cannot really take full advantage of the increased accuracy a good resistive screen with a stylus can provide so you end up with users asking, "what's the point?"

There is no point of a 6th gear in a Ford Fiesta either. People who have never driven anything else may also wonder why so many people with sports cars like 6 gears. (Bad analogy but I could not come up with anything better in a hurry )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
People often talk about bad resistive screens. I've had used eight different devices with a resistive screen and only one of them is what I would count as bad.

Here is the list with my subjective "points out of 10" marking:
  • 10/10 - Palm Treo 180. No problems at all.
  • 9/10 - Palm Treo 600. No problems at all until the digitizer died after 5 years of use and had to be replaced.
  • 10/10 - Nokia 5800 WpressMusic. No problems at all.
  • 1/10 - Samsung S8000 Jet. The worst ever. The pressure it required to register a touch was enough to hurt my finger.
  • 6/10 - Some el-cheapo 7" Chinese Android tablet. In all fairness it was not that bad. Possibly deserving 7 points. I am giving it 6 only because the sensitivity was a bit lower than I would expect of a screen of that size and because it came without a stylus.
  • 9/10 - TomTom One. No problems at all. I would hate to think how to use a capacitive touch screen on a portable car navigation system like that.
  • 9/10 - Nokia N900. My only objection is that the pixel density is way too high, meaning some text is too small and difficult to read. No problems with the touch aspect of it.
  • 9/10 - Some el-cheapo Chinese car entertainment system with a 7" screen. Sometimes I forget that it is resistive and I have to actually touch it rather than wave vaguely in front of it and hope. Other than that, no problems at all.

I think Copernicus has hit the nail on the head. Most people asking these questions ask them because they use touch screens on crippled systems that are designed to be operated with fat fingers. Android, iOS and Sailfish cannot really take full advantage of the increased accuracy a good resistive screen with a stylus can provide so you end up with users asking, "what's the point?"

There is no point of a 6th gear in a Ford Fiesta either. People who have never driven anything else may also wonder why so many people with sports cars like 6 gears. (Bad analogy but I could not come up with anything better in a hurry )
Is this so bad? I made three vertical lines, each with a dot on my Note Edge screen. Used three different pen settings. The width is also sensitive to pressure. I got this phone 2014. Presumably the newer ones are better.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Most people asking these questions ask them because they use touch screens on crippled systems that are designed to be operated with fat fingers. Android, iOS and Sailfish cannot really take full advantage of the increased accuracy a good resistive screen with a stylus can provide so you end up with users asking, "what's the point?"
While this is generally true, one specific thing in which all the "big finger-optimized" OSes fail badly is text selection and placement of the cursor. They all came up with some specific systems, magnifying tools to help positioning the cursor and so on, but it always ends up being a painful task to achieve with just fingers and a capacitive screen. No problem with a stylus on a resistive one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Is this so bad? I made three vertical lines, each with a dot on my Note Edge screen.
Yes! The Samsung Note series improves the standard capacitive screen by adding a Wacom digitizer to it. Now, I haven't actually used a Note myself, but my understanding is that to use the digitizer, you've gotta use that S-pen. In short, that means the device has two different digitizers -- the classic (and innacurate, and non-pressure-sensitive) capacitive one for use with your fingers, and the Wacom one, which apparently is an "inductive" digitizer, which I think records the pressure inside the stylus itself, rather than through the screen.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Wacom, so I'm in favor of this development. But yeah, they had to use something completely different from the capacitive system to come up with an accurate digitizing mechanism, something not needed with a resistive screen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yes! The Samsung Note series improves the standard capacitive screen by adding a Wacom digitizer to it. Now, I haven't actually used a Note myself, but my understanding is that to use the digitizer, you've gotta use that S-pen. In short, that means the device has two different digitizers -- the classic (and innacurate, and non-pressure-sensitive) capacitive one for use with your fingers, and the Wacom one, which apparently is an "inductive" digitizer, which I think records the pressure inside the stylus itself, rather than through the screen.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Wacom, so I'm in favor of this development. But yeah, they had to use something completely different from the capacitive system to come up with an accurate digitizing mechanism, something not needed with a resistive screen.
It's nice. Not limited to spen.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/...ng-galaxy-note

Regardless, I'd like to add that N900 was the best in it's day. The little engine that could! Still does some things better than other phones. But had to move on...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
It's nice. Not limited to spen.
Well, ok, you can use a compatible stylus. I'm just saying you can't get the fine resolution just by using your finger...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The new stylus-capable capacitive screens (e.g. iPad Pro) also share that problem. You cannot use nails.

But the precision using a capacitive stylus on the iPad Pro is surprisingly acceptable. Also they do pressure sensing (on the stylus itself, like Wacom does).

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Resistive means no need for some complicated
em mechanism - any sharp plastic corner will do.
Resistive usually means pressure sensitivity.

Maybe this demonstrates why we want RESISTIVE:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50811
is one whole thread of wow intriguing creations
that are not something capacitive screens
can do without some rube-goldberg stylus apparatus

Originally Posted by dameceno View Post
Really can someone make something so complex with just paint on a phone? Amazing stuff great work man!!!
Originally Posted by Creativetone View Post
I will throw some pics what I have done with N900 and MyPaint..

I have tried to find out what you can do with MyPaint Brush engine..

I have done lot of custom brushes for MyPaint... And I am quite happy to result and how these brushes react to pressure sensitivity.

There is still more to explore.

Thanks, anders_gud,
... thanks to Nokia and MyPaint,
................ thanks you all!

Tone

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...45e3924d83.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/...7231382c53.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2722/...a66c6d633d.jpg

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
The new stylus-capable capacitive screens (e.g. iPad Pro) also share that problem. You cannot use nails.
Although I use an iPad Pro + Apple Pencil, I can tell you that it's good but still far from ideal.

But iOS is where the majority of the creative apps are - not the few that are on Maemo that have not seen an update in ages. But what matters most to the Maemo crowd seems to be active.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Although I use an iPad Pro + Apple Pencil, I can tell you that it's good but still far from ideal.
Could you elaborate why?
I am a resistive fan, but I am curious re what you find lacking. Is it accuracy, pressure sensing, or the "nail problem"?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy