Originally Posted by slai View Post
how is it a problem?

btw im running 30 processes in multitasking now, and the device still handles very well. bit laggy while the processes load up but when theyve gotten past the startup phase its all good.

can push for hundred+ processes if anyone wants a video of it to see how it fares.
I mean I have a problem configuring the N9 to do push email. This is part of the official specs but nobody knows how to do it. All the references online are for N8 or other phones.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
i just set the mail up and keep getting emails pushed to my phone?

gmail and hotmail at least. unless im misunderstanding the problem?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
@jakiman

How did you DM'ing via Twitter go with Damien?
Did he highlight anything that'd explain the N9s poor performance Vs SGSII?

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Do additional country maps eat away more of the precious storage for data or are they stored in the part reserved for apps?
Map data is stored in MyDocs (user data). You can't make a symlink there to shift the files unfortunately. But the maps app does show a list of manually-downloaded maps and lets you empty the cache and start again.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
BTW, How do you restore from Backup on the N9?? (i must be blind?)
Settings, sync & backup, backups, select a backup, restore.
Backups are in .backups in USB mass storage, so you can just copy them off for safekeeping.

Originally Posted by kjmackey View Post
Does the N9 read/recognize QR codes natively, or is there an app (such as mBarcode) for that...?
The N950 camera just takes the photo - doesn't notice the code at all. I see no reason for the N9 to be different.

Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post
a new text message comes in, At the top status bar you can see part of it, just like android. If you click on it straight away it takes you to the message, but if you miss the period that it shows there... is there a quicker way to go to the message other than manually navigate to the messages screen, then open the message.
Any notifications that you "miss" are pinned to the top of the events feed home screen, the lock screen and the sleeping screen for you to act on at a later point.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
@jakiman
How did you DM'ing via Twitter go with Damien?
Did he highlight anything that'd explain the N9s poor performance Vs SGSII?
I am currently going back and forth with him via email now.
He wanted original non-resized files of the ones I've upped etc.
I will be sending him more samples from various phones I have.

One thing he mentioned is this: (this sounds informative enough for everyone hence I hope it's okay to quote his exact words)

N9 uses AMBR automatic motion blur reduction to increase gain based on subject/camera movement to increase the shutter speed to help remove the possibility of camera shake/subject movement. The downside is increased noise. However, we felt it was better to have more noise than blurred pictures. N8 doesn't use AMBR because it uses xenon where the flash freezes any movement.
So this is why N9 uses 1/30 seconds or higher for flash photos. But to get this shutter speed and maintain correct exposure in dark lighting situation requires higher ISO gain. (hence it uses high ISO value also)

I don't think my N9 is bad. My N9 takes quite decent pics when there is plenty of light and using low ISO. Anyways, I will do some more comparisons myself with the phones I have with much more controlled parameters. (including the use of a tripod for each shot)

My comparisons I did with N8 and SGS2 are all valid still. I didn't give any device any more favors than the other. All set to AUTO and just composed the shot and then pressed the shutter. There really isn't a lot to go wrong or make mistakes. =P

Anyways, I will update on my twitter or blog once I get something even more concrete.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slai View Post
i just set the mail up and keep getting emails pushed to my phone?

gmail and hotmail at least. unless im misunderstanding the problem?
"Push email" means you get notification of the email as soon as it arrives in your mailbox. Not sync at periodic intervals to check for email. Push email requires connection to a Nokia server which can perform this function. More info here: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-push-email.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
accounts - [account you want to change] - schedual - select always up to date. for gmail at least.

is that helpful?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I am currently going back and forth with him via email now.
He wanted original non-resized files of the ones I've upped etc.
I will be sending him more samples from various phones I have.

One thing he mentioned is this: (this sounds informative enough for everyone hence I hope it's okay to quote his exact words)

So this is why N9 uses 1/30 seconds or higher for flash photos. But to get this shutter speed and maintain correct exposure in dark lighting situation requires higher ISO gain. (hence it uses high ISO value also)

I don't think my N9 is bad. My N9 takes quite decent pics when there is plenty of light and using low ISO. Anyways, I will do some more comparisons myself with the phones I have with much more controlled parameters. (including the use of a tripod for each shot)

My comparisons I did with N8 and SGS2 are all valid still. I didn't give any device any more favors than the other. All set to AUTO and just composed the shot and then pressed the shutter. There really isn't a lot to go wrong or make mistakes. =P

Anyways, I will update on my twitter or blog once I get something even more concrete.
hell both you and especially Damien should have credit for he acttually seems intrested to check what "could be wrong" I mean I take this as they may have some intrests to improve camera driver/jpeg compressiion etc Atleast it gives some hope

lets kick atleast SGSII in the ***

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-10-08 at 13:15.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
1. How open ( as in open source) is the calendar app? Will it be possible to change ( or perhaps with the help of an add-on) calendar layout to week grid view?
None of the Harmattan UIs are open.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Question:

At some point I have seen a setting to which folder to display when the mail application opens.
IIR correctly something like: favourite folders or inbox

I cannot find this option anywhere now. Has it been removed from the PR version of the firmware or I'm just blind?