Posts: 56 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ ,, Earth !
hey !
as they say , they both will :

-Be widget-able ..
-Have open-source
-support multi-touch

, Which one will be the better ?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
It's actually Symbian ^4 that will be the big Symbian Foundation release. Symbian ^3 is sort of "half-way-point", bit like Maemo 5 is the last step before Maemo 6.

As for which one is better? I don't think that's really important question. Nokia* is developing both for different purposes. Hopefully both wll be very good for what they intended for.

*In reality Nokia does the vasy majority and dominates Symbian development, despite what Symbian Foundation and Nokia says about coperation in Symbian development

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by U.ser View Post
hey !
, Which one will be the better ?
The one that ships with vi.

Maemo 6 most probally. Symbian^3 seems to get pretty much all the stuff that Symbian 9.5 was supposed to be, starting from screenplay, but nothing like Symbian^4 where Maemo 6 should be compared.

AVKON will be pushed away for Qt in Symbian^4 and we should be seeing Nokia's direct UI. It will be totally different beast compared to Symbian^3. My guess is that it's UI is similar to Maemo 6.

Considering Maemo seems to be targeted for people like me i would be going for Maemo 6 when it comes rather than Symbian^4, but you never know.

I'd say Symbian^3 is of the same generation as a patched Maemo 5, not Maemo 6. Symbian^4 is the future contestant to Maemo 6. If the rumored S^3-equipped N87 12MP comes true, then the S^3 platform can be considered as a half step toward "the big one", or Maemo 5.5 equivalent if you prefer.

which will be better cheeseburger or pizza? car or truck? etc.

there is no absolute value with which to rank OS. Whatever works best for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Maemo 6 most probally. Symbian^3 seems to get pretty much all the stuff that Symbian 9.5 was supposed to be, starting from screenplay, but nothing like Symbian^4 where Maemo 6 should be compared.

AVKON will be pushed away for Qt in Symbian^4 and we should be seeing Nokia's direct UI. It will be totally different beast compared to Symbian^3. My guess is that it's UI is similar to Maemo 6.

Considering Maemo seems to be targeted for people like me i would be going for Maemo 6 when it comes rather than Symbian^4, but you never know.
There's an old saying - follow the money. By all indications, Nokia's investment in Maemo is chump change versus their investment in Symbian. I think they'll introduce features in Maemo 6 as they have in Maemo 5 but perfect those features in Symbian because that's where they make their money. So Maemo will be first and Symbian will be better. We'll always be the bleeding edge.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Lieto, Finland
Does anyone really care about Symbian these days? Who really wants to develop applications for Symbian? I really don't know (I'm not a symbian developer), but I have never heard any positive comments about Symbian.

I don't consider Maemo as a silver bullet for everything. There are some major issues that needs to be solved before it can really be a "flag ship" for Nokia.

The direction (of Maemo) in large scale is going to the right way and I'm glad to see that. I'm quite curious to see where this all goes. So as I said, one vote for Maemo.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
if you looked at nokia's plans for the future you'd know that their planing on 3 platforms
S40 - low end cheap mobiless
Symbian - midrange smartphones
Maemo - high end sophisticated mobile devices

symbian is projected to be their largest market while S40 is going to grow alot more as they expand more into poorer countries.
maemo is projected to expand slower but they plan on releasing 1 maemo 5 device this year and (if i recall correctly) have 4 next year.

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by zchydem View Post
Does anyone really care about Symbian these days? Who really wants to develop applications for Symbian? I really don't know (I'm not a symbian developer), but I have never heard any positive comments about Symbian.

I don't consider Maemo as a silver bullet for everything. There are some major issues that needs to be solved before it can really be a "flag ship" for Nokia.

The direction (of Maemo) in large scale is going to the right way and I'm glad to see that. I'm quite curious to see where this all goes. So as I said, one vote for Maemo.
stop reading engadget.

The Following User Says Thank You to kryptoniankid17 For This Useful Post: