Notices

I've heard RSS feeds can have an adverse effect on performance after they've been running for some time.

You could try removing the feeds, see how things go after that. Also try disabling any unnecessary repositories in app manager.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Repositories? Where did you hear that?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

"Application Catalogues" as Nokia prefers to call them.
Having them all active can be a bit of a resource hog. And they can slow things down, especially when web browsing, because App Manager will be looking for updates.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
It would slow down anyway, just a little slower. Still, most reports say that under 48 hours it becomes slow. Best way to check is CPU usage when unlocking, as the hildon whatchamacallit is getting worse. I think it's memory fragmentation.

Point is, wither live with a crippled device or schedule 4AM reboots. I chose b).

Get Alarmed and schedule reboots. What's the loss?
watchamacallit = slide to unlock function?
btw i really dont want to reboot everyday.takes away a ton o battery.
btw, there will be days where the phone will have to run without recharging for two days in a row. then what?im screwed?

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
I've heard RSS feeds can have an adverse effect on performance after they've been running for some time.

You could try removing the feeds, see how things go after that. Also try disabling any unnecessary repositories in app manager.
ive only got one feed.thats from www.nokian900applications.com

and yeah will disable them iff removing rss doesnt do the trick.

Rebooting doesn't take a ton of battery. What rebooting does is re-evaluate battery, which is more pessimistic then before, thus the apparent change in battery level.

If it would really take that much, rebooting again would leave you with even less. it doesn't do that on subsequent reboots. I don't expect a reboot to take anything over about one percent.

You lose more battery by having a slow system, as the system stays up and at peak frequency more.

Or, schedule reboots before plugging in. But there is no doubt in my mind that you interpreted the battery percentage (which is a guess) instead of voltage. If you want to test this yourself, reboot repeatedly and you'll see it drains nowhere near a significant amount, compared to, say, gaming.

Oh, and, removing RSS feeds and repos will not help significantly with memory fragmentation.

Ndi which program do you use to schedule reboots? Cheers

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
This is a known issue from the start!
There is a bug filed for hildon-home (clickable stuff on your desktop like links contacts widgets...) becoming unresponsive after 48 or 96hours.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723

And several threads are talking about issues too.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41865
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42960

Please make use of
http://talk.maemo.org/msearch.php

A general help is not to use python based widgets on your desktop and read the related threads on tmo to programs you install and search for bugs at https://bugs.maemo.org

Stuck or unresponsive bits can be restarted by hand and do not need a restart. As root do
Code:
dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-<what you want to stop>
dsmetool -t /usr/bin/hildon-<what you want to start>
wait a second between the commands.
Example for home
Code:
dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-home
dsmetool -t /usr/bin/hildon-home

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by horus View Post
Ndi which program do you use to schedule reboots? Cheers
Originally Posted by Ndi
Get Alarmed and schedule reboots.
Alarmed is a nice app that allows alarms and events in place of alarms, like command lines, switch profiles, go offline, etc. Pretty good, save for a highish startup time.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Also there's fcron, if you don't mind playing with the terminal (there's no real GUI). I find that it has a slightly lower resource hit compared to Alarmed - but that could just be me.

Incidentally, I have a nice script running every day at 5.30am that gives out a warning (Your sistem will autorestart in 60 seconds, please save your data) before auto-restarting.

A shame I don't know how to make it an user input capable option (abort? restart if there is no user input?).