Posts: 10 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2019 @ Australia
Thanks again for trying to help me
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
What repos you have enabled?
I had manually added extras-testing beforehand, but when I ran the .install file, it asked to add "extras-testing" and I said "yes". I ended up with 2 entries in the application catalogues list. The one from what I'd put in, and another from what the install added itself.

It should load dependencies automatically.
Yes, that's why I let it install from the repository this time. I usually only install anything locally. There doesn't seem to be any file "libhildon1" in the repositories that I could find.

What if you try to install it in console?
It runs, it just says it can't install

And then apt-get install -f after the error? Or are you familiar with console and have rootsh installed? Have to ask cause I didn't know many stuff a short while ago and got instructions which supposed I knew more than I did.
No, I don't have rootsh installed. I can use a console (with instructions), I've used debian on a "proper computer" and I'm from the "age of DOS", but I'm not going to try random things unless I can find or figure out what's happening and how it's being fixed.

Maybe because opera shut down its support, the installation is trying to fetch things that aren't there any more???

Last edited by oldnumpty; 2019-12-25 at 22:38. Reason: say thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to oldnumpty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Have you installed cssu update on your N900? If not, you should. With CSSU instruction page there are instruction how to get the necessary Nokia repositorys and extras-repository (which should be abled before installing CSSU), to your Application Manager and it also installs automatically CSSU update when you go to that page with Micro-b browser and click in the instruction text the link for installing CSSU testing. And I think the Opera version I am using is actually in devel repository. You can install devel-repository from here http://repository.maemo.org just by clicking the install link if you open the page with micro-b browser.

The packet "rootsh" gives you ability to have sudo rights in console. After you install that you always in console first write "sudo gainroot" and it takes you to root. Then you do not need to wite sudo there for commands.

I think after doing these you should be able to install Opera. Not sure if you have to install extras-testing repository too. Noticed that I don't have it either it seems. Devel-repository should be only be enabled for certain downloads and then disable it.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Thanks, the opera version in the devel repository installed without drama, but it is still using tls 1.

I have no clue what cssu is or openssl or where to alter anything in opera to use tls 1.2 (there's nothing obvious in the settings to change it there, so presumably it needs these other things. Is there anywhere that explains what they are and the basics?

Read this. And then read my post again if you understand what I ment.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

Sorry for not posting this with my last post. This cssu is the first step with N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Read this. And then read my post again if you understand what I ment.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

Sorry for not posting this with my last post. This cssu is the first step with N900.
Thanks, but I don't think that will help me. I need to understand what's going on before I install anything.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by oldnumpty View Post
Thanks, but I don't think that will help me. I need to understand what's going on before I install anything.
As much as I understand and support your opinion!
There is nothing to be afraid of installing CSSU. Just do it!

It is the continuation of OS support that was stopped by Nokia. No (harmful) packages will be installed nor any other applications.

You will just benefit...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
CSSU= Community Seamless Software Update. Community driven, community of people concerned of privacy, people devoted to get most out of N900. These people here who you are asking help (I am not one of the high ones who have kept N900 alive).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Cheers, this is unrelated to the topic, but I understand what it is, I just never give free access to any of my stuff to any third party (including phone manufacturers). I like to decide what (if anything) changes, and when. There's a reason I'm using "ancient" hardware and it isn't because I need "updates", let alone "automatic updates".

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by oldnumpty View Post
Cheers, this is unrelated to the topic, but I understand what it is, I just never give free access to any of my stuff to any third party (including phone manufacturers).
You do realize that this "third party" is how FOSS works, basically? Community = Bunch of people volunteering to develop and maintain things. N900 is old. Very old. Nokia has ended updating it a long time ago. CSSU is continuation of official updates, but made by community and open source. The original OS had quite some closed source parts too, which have been mostly replaced with open source, by the community during these ten years. Staying in the original also doesn't mean staying safe. It's quite opposite actually, and it's not upgradable without the cssu.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
These updates are to make the phone more secure and the owner to be more in control of his device (closed source= someone else in control, opensource= software code is open for owner to check it so there are no hidden commands and setups). So not making a CSSU update is to keep your device using more closed source software so you are less in control of your device and there are many security risks in old packages which have not got security updates by Nokia in 10 years.

But the choice is yours. Just wan't you to know thnat it seems that in this case your action (not want to install opensource community's security updates and to get rid of packages someone else is in control) contradicts your intention (have a secure phone with packages and software you know what is inside) .

You should then actually wait for Maemo Leste Os update to be ready before using N900 at al (but you won't trust that either I think)l. Before that - your wish about your N900 being secure is not true but a dream. Worst think to do is using N900 without updating it and thinking it is more secure in that state.

Why you think N900 would be more secure with manufacturers old, not updated, closed source stuff which you can't even check (by reading its code) what that software is doing? Or maybe this is new to you. Opensource updates are updates with stuff that everybody can check there are no hidden scripts of code in the software. So this CSSU update should be the thing which you definately wan't for you N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: