Originally Posted by michael_aos View Post
That was a good catch on the N6555. I was just going by the AT&T website that lists it as HSDPA.

I've been parsing through the list a little and if I rule out the N6555, that leaves 7 options.

Samsung A737 - $80-$50=$30, bluetooth 2.0, EDR?
Samsung SYNC - $130, bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Motorazr V3xx - $130, bluetooth 2.0+EDR
SE Z750A - $150-$100=$50, bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Samsung SLM - $150-100=$50, bluetooth 2.0, EDR?
MOTO Z9 - $250-$50=$200, bluetooth 2.0+EDR
MOTORAZR V9 - $250-$50=$200, bluetooth 2.0+EDR

The battery-life of the SE Z750a is listed as "up to 9hrs". That's about triple the rest of these.

Mike
You're on the right track. Now it's up to you since it's your money and taste at hand now.

From my understanding, all Bluetooth 2.0 has EDR, as it is a specification built-in.

"Bluetooth 2.0 a.k.a. Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) offers a significant speed bump over its predecessor. While Bluetooth 1.2 offers a data transfer rate of 1Mbps, Bluetooth 2.0 is 3 times faster boasting a data transfer speed 3Mbps"

According to Wikipedia, at least, "Bluetooth 2.0" is not a valid designation. BT2 requires EDR, but the only official labeling is "Bluetooth 2.0+EDR". Some devices labeled "Bluetooth 2.0" are proper 2.0 with EDR, and some aren't.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the sprint sero plan. Go to www.sprint.com/sero and use the e-mail address savings@sprintemi.com with a valid zipcode.

$30 a month for 500 minutes of voice and unlimited data. Get a windows mobile phone and pdanet for ~$30 bucks one time cost for the program and you are golden. I don't know about any of the regular phones and BT DUN.

The Following User Says Thank You to drhoades For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drhoades View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the sprint sero plan. Go to www.sprint.com/sero and use the e-mail address savings@sprintemi.com with a valid zipcode.

$30 a month for 500 minutes of voice and unlimited data. Get a windows mobile phone and pdanet for ~$30 bucks one time cost for the program and you are golden. I don't know about any of the regular phones and BT DUN.
Sounds like a great deal, except I'm not willing to pay the early termination fee. I'm not sure how far deployed EVDO Rev.a is either. I was at the launch party in Seattle last year though, so there could be a fair amount of places.

As for BT DUN. The newer WiMo phones are not coming with the profile (from what i've read), PAN only. There is a PAN hack though for the NIT, but i've never used it.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
@andrewfblack So you got your A737 going did you? Glad to hear it.

As for performance, I think even a straight 3G capable phone will be plenty fast. If it's 3G, it probably has BT 1.2 or better. EDR is less common but will come into its own soon enough, but both sides have to support it to really be beneficial-phone & tablet. As I recall, BT 2.0 doesn't always equate to +EDR.

My EDGE+BT 1.2 setup works just fine for occasional use. I don't stream and haven't tried it. Faster would be nice but that won't happen until I'm ready to change phones, and I like my current phone.

It sounds like Mike will be fine with the 6555 & MediaNet Unlimited, being aware of the potential consequences. OS2008 should pair and DUN just fine with that combination.
Yep I got it working in fact I used it all weekend long as I was out of town and didn't have wifi access it did better then I could have hoped.

Originally Posted by eViL D: View Post
Sorry, no, the nokia 6555 is DOES NOT have/support HSDPA, it is strictly a UMTS 3G device. Specs here.
While Bluetooth 2.0 is one part of the equation, the other is the 3g (or 3.5g) capability of the phoneitself.

One thing to keep in mind - most of Nokia 3g with HSDPA cabale phones are for European frequencies (850/2100) and when used in US with 1900 frequency (as is AT&T) it will fall back to UMTS or Edge and not use the HSDPA capability at all.

I went to the US Nokia store and they only have 2 phones with US 3G support - the N95-3 US version and the N75 (which is only UMTS and not HSDPA).
There is another US version about to be released sometime - the N78 and the E66 I believe, but untill its released we have to wait on Nokia phones.

I use a normal MediaNet with UMTS over the N75 (specifically bought a used and a little broken N75 from eBay for data connectivity) and it it much faster than my older Edge suported phone.
I would love to have true US supported HSDPA 3.5G though (over 1900 frequency in case of AT&T network).

Using a high-end data plan (high price) with a low end phone where you essentially fall back on edge speeds (due to frequency mismatch) is no good.
I would rather take a low end data plan first (MediaNet) and get a high speed phone (true 3G) which will be more fruitfull.

Last edited by nilchak; 2008-05-12 at 16:07.

Currently i'm using MediaNet and a Sony Ericsson K850i (3.6Mb/s HSDPA). Download tests have revealed i'm getting at most times 800-1000KB/s down. You also have to realize since it's still packet switched and not true "always online", it does take a few moments to initially send the request and then receive a response from a website. One thing that would make the pages load faster is obviously a faster processor in the NIT. There are also some tweaks to the browser config one can try also.

*I would be interested to see what other combinations others have used/use and their experiences.

Last edited by eViL D:; 2008-05-12 at 20:17.

As I understand it, MEdia Net requires use of a proxy for connectivity.

Does that mean things like IMAP, RDP, SSH, etc wouldn't be available?

Mike

The maps show lots o 3G in my area.

I can't tell if it's HSDPA though.

Mike

Originally Posted by michael_aos View Post
The maps show lots o 3G in my area.

I can't tell if it's HSDPA though.

Mike
Same here, but my phone clearly uses HSDPA. I guess my H icon gives that away.