Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
For Raspberry Pi, what about a display 5.0" 800×480 Resistive LCD Touch HDMI+GPIO for US$25 ?
[...]
The thing that worries me about the Raspberries is that I keep reading things like this:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1566, which reports a 15 hour battery life for a Pi with a 10,000 mAH battery and a headless Pi with no load except pinging. That's a huge battery (216 cubic centimeters!), giving a barely acceptable runtime on a headless Pi!

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2016-01-02 at 02:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Look at these data :
http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi-ze...r-measurements

Add the current used by the screen (which you depend on the size, type, brightness level, etc).
We see that RPi Zero uses approx. half of the power of RPi 2B.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
We see that RPi Zero uses approx. half of the power of RPi 2B.
Are you satisfied with a 700 MHz single core CPU and 512 MB of RAM in 2016? Don't get me wrong - I think the Pi Zero is a great development, which will make many projects possible that would have been unaffordable before. But it's really more for "The internet of things" rather than a pocket workstation, in my opinion.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Well the iphone is very successful.
and rightly so.
There will always be a majority who wish to relinquish control for immediate gratification, convenience, limited options and the ability consequently to blame another for....whatever.
however I do believe there also will always be at the very least ...a minority who insist on having control over their devices / os's for exactly the opposite reasons.
One thing I have noticed is that ...
sure we have members who "say" they have (or are going to ...) change(d) to ios or android...
I believe it is precious few who do leave this place and what I consider the "only sane option" ...
most of those who truly leave...
move to android and mod their way to a semblance of happiness ..
or head to sailfish..
or any other sane manipulable ..control-able...alternative ...

the pizero ..and the pocketchip may very well prove to be the affordable gateway drug we need to get the ball rolling and get fresh bodies....
hm...
freemantle...
even maemo4...
on pocketchip / pizero...
would go a long way to spreading the maemo-virus to every back pocket ...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Are you satisfied with a 700 MHz single core CPU and 512 MB of RAM in 2016? Don't get me wrong - I think the Pi Zero is a great development, which will make many projects possible that would have been unaffordable before. But it's really more for "The internet of things" rather than a pocket workstation, in my opinion.
I know RPi from other people. My RPi 2B and A+ are on the way to my home. I've not succeded to buy a RPi Zero yet, the demand is very high and they make only 10,000 each week. I will use them with external sensor data.

Ok, I agree, RPi Zero is low end for desktop use. But it is what is available in small size.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
[...]
There will always be a majority who wish to relinquish control for immediate gratification, convenience, limited options and the ability consequently to blame another for....whatever.
[...]
Yup, it was an historical accident that consumers got their initial access to the internet by purchasing a general-purpose computer. Most people do not need to own a general purpose, user-programmable computer at all. Not in their pocket, not at home on a desktop.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
I know RPi from other people. My RPi 2B and A+ are on the way to my home. I've not succeded to buy a RPi Zero yet, the demand is very high and they make only 10,000 each week. I will use them with external sensor data. [...]
Making 10,000 a week, and they can't keep them stocked! This is the type of product Jolla should have made, instead of yet another vanilla smartphone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Check out the Pyra (the Open Pandora successor)

www.pyra-handheld.com

But shipping: soon

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Check out the Pyra (the Open Pandora successor)

www.pyra-handheld.com

But shipping: soon
I agree. The Pyra is what I'm asking for. I don't like the gaming controls, but it would be silly for me to make a big deal about that. It's got a huge battery, two SDXC slots - there's a lot to love! But "soon" isn't now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Before the IBM PC, there was a period of great diversity in hobbyist personal computers. Wonderful things like the Amiga appeared. You could buy bizarre computers with Z80 and 6800 CPUs on the same board, which would allow you to run software for different architectures on a single machine without emulation. All that stopped when the IBM PC appeared.
There were plenty of hobbyist computers before the IBM PC (1981), but your timeline's a little off. Sure there were interesting things like the Altair and Heath-kit and other stuff before the PC, and the Apple I and II, 8 bit Ataris and VIC-20 predated it, but the real explosion of variety came after. The C=64 came out in '82, the Amiga in '85. Most notably, the Macintosh in 1984, of course. The Atari 1200 and successors came out in the early 80s. And if it weren't for Compaq making a widely available IBM work-alike around '83, the DOS (and then Windows) empire might never have risen with just Big Blue's hardware supporting it. (BTW, that Compaq "luggable" was quite a revolutionary computer at the time, being not only DOS compatible but portable in the sense that it had a handle and case.) And that's just the US: the Sinclair and BBC computers were popular in the UK, for instance. (An incredibly crappy but amazingly cheap version of the Sinclair -- $19.99 at my local drugstore!! -- appeared briefly in the US in a joint venture with Timex.)

Last edited by robthebold; 2016-01-02 at 03:29.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy