Active Topics

Hey. ive been having this problem with wifi on my n900. when i try to connect my n900 to the wifi connection, it connects fine but i cannot browse. I have to switch on internet radio. internet radio works but the browsing and the application manager downloading starts when i play the internet radio. its like the internet radio kicks start my wifi connection. without playing the internet radio, i cannot browse not download off application manager. even i i open internet radio for 5 secs only, i can browse fine. all my laptops and my brother's 5800 connect fine with my home wifi but i have this problem. my phone connects perfectly on other wifi connections and i can browse without any problems. its just the problem at my home. like for example i switched on internet radio and started downloading of application manager. half way the bar stopped and the download speed was 0 kbps. then i opened internet radio again and closed it and download speed back to normal.
i hope any one can help me. and yes, ive tried configuring it manually many times the ip, dns, gateway etc but no luck.
help would be appreciated.
thanks

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
WTF?! Last time you posted this exact same problem you said it 'fixed itself'....

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=983601

i got the other phone. but the problem is still there

Stop spamming the forums FFS - stick to the thread you created a couple of weeks ago. It sounded like you haven't secured your WiFi router, so someone's probably been dicking around with that and your PC's etc on your home LAN, so I'm not surprised you're having random connection problems.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73006
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=983601

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Or maybe your router just sucks, lol

The Following User Says Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
reboot the router and place a good pw on it, that helps, specially restarting the router

did that already. done this a month back. all of it

If you had your WiFi router running unsecured and have now secured it, there is still a very big chance that one of your neighbours is still dicking around. If you're lucky they're just having a laugh. At worst, they're actively monitoring your surfing sucking up passwords/bank details/etc/etc and will have access to all the documents/photos/pr0n on your desktop PC's.

You need to reset your router to factory defaults, set a strong admin password and a strong WPA key.

You also need to examine any computer on your home LAN for rootkits/trojans and other malware - if it was me I'd reinstall everything from scratch to be sure.

In all the threads you've created on this same subject it would appear that the source of your troubles is your router and not your N900.

i have security enabled. its not working. it has to do something with the phone. all other devices are working fine with the connection

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by yasirrfc View Post
i have security enabled. its not working. it has to do something with the phone. all other devices are working fine with the connection
But it looks like "all other devices" (PC, Nokia 5800, etc) are using different operating systems than Linux and thus different implementations of connecting protocols. I can confirm that N900 (and generally few older Linux distros) have problems with connecting to some routers (I have an old router at home which sometimes behaves similarly with my N900 like you described - and it also sometimes just fixes itself after few days or after doing some strange operations... But it also works the same way with old Slax-based Linux distro - [offtopic]in case anyone's interested - it's my custom distro based on ancient 4.X line which I'm too lazy to update to newer version and newer custom packages :P anyway, Slax 6.X connects fine everytime I run it from my usb stick[/offtopic]).

So I would also support the version that router or, in other words incompatibility between some old or very cheap routers and some versions of Linux connecting implementations could be the problem here.

P.S. All words stated in above post are only my oppinion and I had not invastigated any further, I can just confirm that some routers have problems with Linux clients, but work fine with Symbian and Windows clients. Anyone who is more familiar with and has more knowledge about the problem, feel free to add something what I had said or negate and proove me wrong

Tags
beyond help, how do we get, rid of him